Dez Bryant Sean Lee looking good so far...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Wild Bill, May 3, 2010.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

..... in training camp for the Dallas Cowboys.
    Link

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Sicko, a free agent signee out of New Hampshire, is a fast, tight end who was very productive in college. He seems to have a head on his shoulders, which may give him an edge on Martellus. He's very fast,4.51 40 and did great in workouts. He may not be quite the physically gifted freak that Bennett is, but Bennett hasn't been that great in the regular season.
    The Link

3. Sugarpunk

Sugarpunk 500+ Posts

Hope springs eternal fellow Cowboys fans! Dez made perfect sense to me in the first round. I was mystified that we took a LB in the second but will be very pleased if he is an immediate impact player. I'm still somewhat concerned about left tackle and safety, but I'm hoping we get those positions shored up in free agency.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The Dez pick was a no brainer in my opinion. I have a feeling that a lot of folks are going to regret passing on him, just as they did Moss. The difference between then and now is that the Cowboys won't be one of them.

I also think Lee is going to be a surprise IF he stays healthy.

The real sleeper in this group could be Sean Lissemore. A boatload of talent and very impressive in the mini camp.

5. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i guess i don't understand why everyone is so gaga over bryant. he is certainly a badass WR, but is he any better coming out of college than these guys?

crabtree
    calvin johnson
    larry fitzgerald
    roy williams

moss is a once a generation player.

6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Moss has nothing on Larry Fitzgerald.
    Fitz is a freak.

7. Third Coast

No disagreement that the receivers notreally mentioned were all great college players. There are intangibles that will obviously factor into their success at the next level.

Fitzgerald has already proven himself to be at the top of the NFL game.

Once Stafford gets his QB rating out of the low 60s Johnson has all the physical tools to become an elite WR in the pros.

I think the verdict is still out on Crabtree, but he can probably be as good as he wants to be, but does he really want to be?

Roy? Well, he didn't have a lot of help in Detroit, but did pretty well. Now when I see him I think of Tom Hanks in Castaway after he has been rescued and he's standing outside his car with a map on that dusty Texas road when the chick in the pickup pulls up and says, "You look lost!"

Of course it remains to be seen if Bryant will climb to the level of Moss and Fitzgerald, but he certainly has the physical ability to do so and he is a football vacuum cleaner at the position.

8. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i guess i am just having a problem computing why he is supposded to be that awesome. i've seen him play, and he is DAMN good.....

but, all those guys i mentioned above (minus roy) were all SERIOUS heisman contenders..... bryant, even if he would have played last year, was not. but he is mentioned with all these other great players, and i guess i just don't understand exactly what he has done on the field to warrant that type of talk.

9. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

I think its a great pick. Dallas has the No. 2 offense in the NFL with one good WR.

This could allow Roy to line up in the slot so they get more out of him too.

If Dez can be a solid No. 2 WR and they can keep Romo upright this team is a real threat.

10. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

As mentioned, I didn't quite get the Lee pick either at first. But as I thought about it and watched some practice talk and video I realize exactly why it is a great move, aside from the fact he will be groomed to start for Brooking someday. The main things most fans saw wrong with the Cowboys last year were (in no particular order)...Flozell being very inconsistent with bad penalties, Carpenter (while slightly improved) is still a big weakness in the nickel against good teams, Hamlin's play was average at best and did not justify his contract, no 2nd Wide receiver has been a serious threat, and lack of kick return weapons.

So they decided to address these 5 problems with the best possible value deciding the order they did it in. Dez was amazing value to bring in a serious 2nd WR threat to help Austin and Witten lose some coverage focus and also cause his own mismatches. Then they saw Lee and had him rated very high to be a future starter, yet most important to overtake the nickel spot from Carpenter and eliminate it being a weakness. Then AOA was a steal to help at safety. It may take time but that guy is smart, fast, big, and gifted.

Not including the rest of the picks, which were also need picks yet may or may not pan, they got great value to address 3 of the 5 needs with the early round picks. But in actuality it was addressing 4 of the 5 needs with 2 of those guys, as Dez and AOA can return kicks well. They felt good enough about Free to not reach for a tackle early and pass on one of the other guys, which would have left one of those 5 needs unattended in the above list. I think with reviewing our main weaknesses and seeing what they got, at what value they came, and also what we have returning, they did an excellent job of addressing glaring needs with the opportunities given. Great draft and logic in my book.

11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I don't expect Bryant to be the gamebreaker Moss was. Moss was practically the fastest guy in the NFL. Bryant is a 4.5 guy -- plenty fast, but he's not going to outrun NFL corners unless he bowls them over or puts on some slick moves.

12. Third Coast

Jerry Rice didn't have Moss like speed, nor did Michael Irvin.

While he has very good football speed, what makes Bryant a compelling prospect is his burst of physicality. That is, getting the step on the defensive back, going after the ball and of course, the YAC.