Did anyone catch the end of Mizzou v Illini?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by gecko, Dec 23, 2010.

1. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Worst prediction I've made ever, when I turned to gecko jr and stated, "Mizzou is done, I think they look worn out", that's when they were down 3 with about 3:30 to go. Yeah, that's an eternity but it seemed like Illinois had control.

Then, "bam" all hell breaks loose. What do people think about the intentional foul call...? Even live it didn't look like the Illini dude made that much contact. It seems like even less in slo mo. Illinois bench technical didn't help them one bit.

2. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Didn't like the call. Tight game, with neither side able to take over, and then the officials stepped in and did just that.

[​IMG]

3. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Two-handed shove in the back. Ref went up immediately. I got no problem with it.

4. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

5. Bob in Houston

No. Are you trying to tell me he was playing the ball?

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

7. Bob in Houston

He didn't shove him as hard as he could, I grant you that. And it's possible that another official might not have made the call. However, granted that the call was made, your argument also lacks a relationship to amounts charged for certain Oriental drinks.The rule states:

(Rule 10) Art. 2. Personal foul. A personal foul shall be a foul committed by a player that involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live.
    d. Intentional personal foul. An intentional foul shall be a personal foul that, on the basis of an official’s observation of the act, may be purposeful or reactionary and is not based solely on the severity of the act
    . Examples include, but are not limited to:
    3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score

The guy went up right away with the signal. There was no question in his mind that the foul was intentional. If that's what he thought, he was justified in calling it and he shouldn't have ignored it.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I think the issue is that there isn't a single ref who actually calls "intentional fouls" the way that point d is worded. And if a ref ever did call an intentional any time a player might have fouled on purpose, players and fans would all be pretty upset. And most fouls are "reactionary", I don't even know what the point of that part of the rule is.

9. Bob in Houston

The ref's entitled to call intentional fouls late in the game, but the ref that does will not work again. But that's irrelevant, as what Tisdale did is specifically mentioned as something that can be an intentional foul.

He should have let the guy go... the game wouldn't have gotten out of hand, and Tisdale wouldn't have fouled out... not then, anyway.

10. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

11. Bob in Houston

12. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

13. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

It was a blatant intentional foul, it wasn't particularly close to NOT being an intentional foul, and it in no way influenced the outcome of the game. What is the point of the argument?

14. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts