Did anyone watch 'Hell On Wheels?'

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Shark4, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

It premiered on AMC tonight. I thought it was pretty good.

Then again my son is the AMC VP in charge of it [​IMG]

Actually he was hired as VP of Scripted Programming for AMC when they had all but the last episode in the can.

I'd be interested in any thoughts you have on it.

2. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

That's awesome Shark!
    I'm sure you are very proud.

I have recorded it and will report when I have a chance to see it.
    I'm curious how it compares to Deadwood which I loved (up until they jumped the shark in the last season).

3. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

I thought it was great. Very graphic killing scenes. It has me ready to tune in next week

4. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

5. Burnt Orangeman

Do they count recordings among viewers?
    They should.

6. Burnt Orangeman

Watched it yesterday, I found it quite entertaining.

Spoiler alert!

What made it for me was that chilling scene where the Cheyenne warrior chases down the railroad surveyor and his wife. What were they doing out there in the middle of nowhere with no gun? That was the scariest looking Indian I've ever seen! The only thing that compares to that scene is the hand-to-hand combat inside the building near the end of Saving Private Ryan.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

how about some inside info on walking dead this season.

spoiler alert....

why is the old man keeping all the zombies in the barn? waiting for a cure? although i dont think a cure would help them since they are already dead and decomposing...i only ask because it is the only interesting thing to occur this season...

8. Burnt Orangeman

Series is bogging down about like the building of the railroad it's about.

The last episode where the Josey Wales knockoff fights the black dude was predictable in the outcome and did nothing to move the story along.

9. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

i dvr'd and had a little marathon with this series the other day. overall i would give it a B- where i give breaking bad a solid A.

spoilers:

i'm sure they will work out a lot of the problems eventually but for now a few things stick out.

first and foremost i don't buy colm meany as durant. he is just not convincing to me. i understand they are trying to give him layers as a character but its just not working.

some of the lines are just plain not good and not realistic.

the music can be incredible and cool but sometimes it can suck.

it feels a whole lot like deadwood. which is definitely not a bad show, but i just wish it didn't quite feel so much like it.

that boxing scene was very poorly directed.

good things:

shot pretty well, i like common and anson mount, music can be really cool, i love the norwegian bad guy!

i will keep watching b/c it has me engaged for now and i'm sure they are just working out some kinks.

10. Burnt Orangeman

norwegian bad guy is stealing the show

and the tatooed *****

11. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

At the very least, Mount is good as protagonist Cullen Bohanon. Thankfully, they cast a Southerner to play the part, instead of asking some Yankee to fake it.

12. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

13. Burnt Orangeman

Last 2 episodes picked up some.

Tell your son he should see the Royal Tyrrell Museum when he's up there. Bizarre creatures that went extinct with 5 eyes and such they've found fossilized in the shale.
    The Link

14. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

[ Intentionally hijacked or not... apologize in advance ]
    Does anyone have Grande and watchcing AMC-HD?

Reason I'm asking: I'm starting sh*t with their tech people about the picture freezing. It seems only on AMC-HD... happens ~ every 10 minutes. I did some exploring on the web, and it seems Grande is is either (1) re-encoding the channel, or (2) otherwise atempting to tweek the network feed thru their tuners, leading to unacceptable quality. (is this the compelling reason to pay them every g.d. month? ... not for me).

This after they rolled a truck twice
    , replacing all the electronics on the house- clearly its not at this termination / location.

.... When they added the LHN, the picture would screw up every time we changed the channel; only among the ESPN network channels... but they seem to rectified that.

Just curious. Maybe the problem is at the node for central. Aus.

15. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

spoilers kind of...

the scene where durant explains his sorrows about the penny given to him... that was really terrible. music was weird and the whole scene just didn't feel natural. i promise i don't have it out for colm meany but man he just is not doing it for me. but i do like that the character actually sort of seems like a nice guy.

when the norwegian bad guy says "i've seen the way she looks at youuuuuu!" i thought this was pretty out of character for a guy who survived horrific war conditions like his fellow soldiers trying to eat him alive. otherwise i really like this character. he is so insane and i don't know what he will do next.

the scene where anson mount explains about shooting at someone was really cool. when it actually happened to common... not so much. it was just too perfect and wrapped up.

the english lady is sort of boring. honestly when she is on i just want to fast fwd. i felt the same way about hank's wife on breaking bad. early on they tried to do all this character development with her that was just really boring. they were smart and eventually dropped it and the show got much better.

shark, this is just my humble opinion and i hope it helps. but i do know a thing or two about telling a story. i make movie trailers for a living so i deal with it all the time.

16. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

17. Burnt Orangeman

I think the acting overall is pretty weak.

Elam is unconvincing. He sounds much more like a modern day musician with a tough pose on instead of a 19th century freed slave.
    Did they say "lily white ***" back then? I doubt it.
    Oh, wait, ....

I am really tired of watching the southerner drink and brood vengefully. I am tired of the reverend, his daughter, and the civilized Cheyenne no matter what they do.

Maybe the Irish lads will liven it up.

This wooden acting is going to be very hard to write out of.

18. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

The show started out fine. The first four or five episodes were excellent. It seems like the locomotive has let off a lot of steam and everything is dragging.

19. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

20. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

21. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

I've tried. I just can't get into it. Plodding. Uninspiring. Substandard. Too bad. I had high hopes.

22. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

23. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

I really hope so. The subject matter is a luke warm, pecker high fastball for me. I'm pulling for them to put something together.

24. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

AMC is one of my favorite networks. And over the weekend I find out they are going to start airing CSI Miami repeats this week.

So much for that.

All they need now is a classic movie reality show.

25. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

HOW is one of my favorite TV series. I agree that a few parts of it are a bit stilted, but unlike all the zombie/alien/time-warp dramas, at least Hell On Wheels depicts real historical tensions (tycoon vs Senator, northerners vs southerners, whites vs emancipated blacks, Indians vs westward push, etc.).

Breaking Bad is still my favorite, but HOW is a close second. Dexter is entertaining also.

26. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Shark, I think the show is great. I completely disagree with the people on this thread who dislike the show.

27. Burnt Orangeman

Finale kind of sucked.

I can see why the writers got canned.

I hope Shark's progeny succeeds in his opportunity!