Did Applewhite Get Fired By Bama

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hjengo, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

bc - not that point.

Anyone who follows CFB closely knew that there was a VERY good chance MA wasn't going to be at Bama in '08. This didn't just hatch after MA came home. Hell, it was discussed on here plenty, so there's no excuse for even the worst of the barracks rats to not have a clue.

I'm in the "somewhere in the middle" camp. Clearly MA and NS didn't mesh. Obviously MA wasn't fired. There was a spot open at Texas and Mack decided to bring the prodigal son home. Why piss and moan about exactly what "really" happened, when everyone is cool w/ the hire and you know the basics? Some of y'all fight just to fight.

2. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

jt,
    understood and agree

3. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

4. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

If you want to know the truth, Major has been fired from every job he has held including OL-GA at Texas

5. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

6. ReauxlTide

ReauxlTide < 25 Posts

Of course he didn't get fired! How can you even ask that?

First of all, it was his first year here. Secondly, he didn't get free rein with our offense, he got a learner's permit...with Pendry to oversee. Third, he's one helluva recruiter. Fourth, his upside is off the charts and he's only going to get better with age and experience. YOU DO NOT FIRE A COACH LIKE THAT.

I don't know what happened, but here's my take:

What happens when you get hired by a control freak? You get controlled. That cannot be a fun career situation.

Saban's rep is that he's hell to work for, but he'll make a better coach out of you. I always figured that MA was chafing as OC. Clearly, we weren't running his style offense. If you're not going to be allowed to do your job in your way to the best of your ability, how annoyed will you be?

So...job at my alma mater...making the same money...where, although I'm not considered a god, I am considered almost supernatural...working for my old head coach...who has faith in me and knows my abilities... What the hell's not to like about that situation??? That's a no brainer.

Now if he was getting total offensive control at Alabama...that would be a totally different animal...at least in the short run. Not in the long run. I don't think there's a college football fan in the country that doesn't expect MA to be HC at UT one day. I always knew we'd be saying goodbye...I didn't think that would be after one season, but it was inevitable. I still say he needs to make his bones at a different school than his alma mater, but not everybody sees that the same way and in the end, if he succeeds, what does it matter?

Just my take...

7. Panama Red

Panama Red 25+ Posts

8. ReauxlTide

ReauxlTide < 25 Posts

"He would have left for Texas anyway even if he had total control. It is just a better place to work and a better job. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about MA leaving you in the dust. This whole thing is just sour grapes from one of the worst fan bases in the NCAA."

Being the running backs coach at Texas is better than being the Offensive Coordinator at Alabama??? Maybe for somebody who graduated from Texas. For the rest of the world, most would probably opt for the coordinator position. I know you've got a great program and I like pulling for the Horns, but **** like that right there makes it a little tougher.

And, let's be clear about one thing. I wasn't trying to make myself feel better about being "left in the dust" by MA. I liked the guy, but I really didn't care that much when he made the move and care less now. He's an up and comer and I enjoyed having him here, but our success is tied to our head coach and not to our former OC or co-OC.

If he wasn't good enough to be given the reins, he's not big loss. If he was in total charge, he did a crap job and once again...no big loss.

He'll do great there. We'll keep on truckin' without him. I got nothing else to say about him or the subject except to wish him success. Your comments are more irritating to me than his leaving.