Did Barnes Tank It?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by UTperks, Mar 2, 2008.

1. UTperks

UTperks 25+ Posts

For a number of reasons I'm not so sure Barnes didn't prepare or coach this game as he would have if it was for more marbles.

I know I'm going to get blistered for this view but here are some of my reasons for the comment.

1.) #2 seed in Houston bracket
    2.) get his teams attention
    3.) let his friends son get a top 5 win
    4.) get all the hype off his team

Some of the coaching in the game was suspect as well....substitutions..fouling at wrong time(I'm not talking about GJ mistake) going to zone late in half.

Oh well, I'm not real upset about the loss, just hope this gets the team ready for 11 game winning streak for the Big 12 Title and National Title.

Hook'em!

2. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

So weak it's not even worth a real response so.... [​IMG]

4. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

And, of course, Barnes knew beforehand there was absolutely no possibility of having to go to Charlotte as a 2 seed or Phoenix as less than a 1 seed and there was no chance of Texas dropping another game, other than Big 12 tournament final, thus ensuring a 2 seed in Houston.

But did he count on Stephen F. Austin taking out Memphis in the second round and having equal geographical advantage in the Texas-SFA matchup in the regional?

Rick, you FOOL! How could you be so blind?

5. UTperks

UTperks 25+ Posts

I guess you guys feel that Rick had his guys fired up and the game plan was as good as it gets.

Now I'm worried.

6. Pancho Negro

Pancho Negro 250+ Posts

Have you ever thought that you can "fire up the kids" and have the best gameplan but sometimes, it's just not your night? To say that we lost this game "on purpose" is pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Ever. There is NOTHING guaranteed in the NCAA tournament when it comes to seeding. So to think a coach would lose a game because his friend's son is coaching the team....WTF? Who the hell thinks like that?

7. UTperks

UTperks 25+ Posts

I'm not sayong "on purpose".
    Sometimes you let the players dig thier own hole so they can learn or it is better for the overall picture.
    Just bouncing off an idea.

I'm not married to it.

8. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Don't know how you could think that Barnes preferred that his team come back from double-digit deficits four other times in B12 play this year, but this time, he wanted to teach them a lesson.

10. BostonRC

BostonRC 25+ Posts

Kev: It's a trend in diamonds. Champagne. It's a nice stone.
    Willie Conway: Yeah, no, I heard about this. It's a new trend in the diamond trade, they're trying to create a new market.
    Tommy: Oh, right, right. yeah. They were callin' 'em "piss", but they weren't moving any units. What's with you, man?
    Paul Kirkwood: What?
    Tommy: Well, how much you pay for this brown rock?
    Paul Kirkwood: What difference does it make?
    Tommy: Diamonds are supposed to be colorless! You go out and buy a colored diamond for a girl you're not even seeing, man, you must be eating retard sandwiches again.

11. ferrariparty

ferrariparty 250+ Posts

Well lets just hope the team doesnt "tank" against okie state or nebraska.

12. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

13. Jeffrey

Jeffrey 25+ Posts

14. KosherHorn

KosherHorn 250+ Posts

I hear the earth is actually flat. Just a hunch, but I'm not married to it.

15. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

i give you 1 star. if it was possible to give you negative stars i'd give you 5,000 of them. if you could have at least made an attempt at humor i would have given you negative 4,999.

16. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

No. but nice try

17. BurntOrange03

BurntOrange03 100+ Posts

Mr. UTPerks, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

18. Max Powers

Max Powers 100+ Posts

Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.

19. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

Now THIS is what you might consider an "aggy" thread.

The only games even worth "tanking" are the games in the conference tournament since we'd get a little more rest for the Big Dance.

And if we were in tank mode, why did we try to come back at the end? Sorry, but that doesn't look like a tanking team to me. Had Tech just missed more of their FTs, we could have won this game.

20. Steinbeck

Steinbeck 250+ Posts

21. HornFan16

HornFan16 100+ Posts

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] Nope swing and and a miss on this one.

23. Longhorndanc

Longhorndanc 25+ Posts

24. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

This thread is useless without a spamming of FAIL pics. Help anyone?

25. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

26. L.A.Longhorn

L.A.Longhorn 250+ Posts

27. honolulu horn

honolulu horn 100+ Posts

28. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Speaking of aggie thread... if you stop and think about it the clues are all over the place on the underpinnings of this loss...

It was in fact the aggies who tanked their game with a 44 point loss at home to the Raiders, all in order to (a) set up the Horns with an over-confidence mentality, and (b) drive Pat Knight to pulling a Junction II on the Tech players.

[​IMG]

29. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The only redeeming aspect of this post is my theory on conspiracy theories: for someone to invent a conspiracy theory about you, you must be fairly important in the scheme of things. No one is going to invent a conspiracy theory when aggy loses at this point, for example.
    Well, it's just a theory.

30. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I haven't been this speechless after reading a post (and followup confirming that I didn't misread the post) since the last time I was on Texags.