Did Bush take swipe at Obama?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by libertytxn, May 15, 2008.

1. libertytxn

libertytxn 100+ Posts

I think so. [​IMG]

In a speech to Israel's Knesset, Bush said: "Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

"We have heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared: 'Lord, if I could only have talked to Hitler, all this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to call this what it is — the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

Obama responded with a statement, seizing on Bush's remarks even as it was unclear to whom the president was referring.

"It is sad that President Bush would use a speech to the Knesset on the 60th anniversary of Israel's independence to launch a false political attack," Obama said in the statement his aides distributed. "George Bush knows that I have never supported engagement with terrorists, and the president's extraordinary politicization of foreign policy and the politics of fear do nothing to secure the American people or our stalwart ally Israel."

The White House said Bush's comment wasn't a reference to Obama.

The debate over whether the president should directly negotiate with rogue leaders has been one of the most prominent issue differences in the race for the Democratic nomination. Obama says he would meet with heads of state in places like Cuba, Iran and North Korea. Rival Hillary Rodham Clinton says those meetings could be used for propaganda and her first response will be outreach through other diplomatic channels.

The Link

2. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

I would think it was more a swipe at Jimmy Carter

3. SenateHorn

SenateHorn 250+ Posts

Why did Obama think it was about him?

4. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Well Obama has been able to make me think a Hillary Clinton presidency might not be so bad, so maybe he can convince Hamas to actually accept peace.

5. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

Bush's approach is more of "empowerment through incompetence" than appeasement. Iran has proven that you don't have to talk to the Bush Administration to get everything that you want.

6. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

That's right in BO's wheelhouse....and it's going to help BO immensely.

The last thing McCain needs is a 20% Pres. backing McCain while yelling "I matter, too!!!"

Furthermore, the ridiculous two-faced foreign policy that he employs and is wedding to McCain via his endorsement is the kiss of death. 80% of the folks out there want change, and **** like this ain't how you sell it if you're McCain.

By "two-faced" I mean his propensity to pop off w/ admitting that he himself broke the very rule that he just made by negotiating with Libya and Khaddify (a known terrorist state and a known terrorist) and one of our "axis of evil" in North Korea.

His giant ego won't let him step aside and remain quiet, and when speaks up he has an uncanny ability to make himself look like an dumbass.

It's really amazing. But as a Dem I want to give him a big, hearty "Thanks!" for being the dumbass egomaniac that he is.

7. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

8. Bottom Line

Bottom Line 250+ Posts

9. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

When Bush says this to the Knesset:In reply to:

10. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

I thought it was about Carter also, weird.

11. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

The Bush Administration says the comment was not directed at Obama.

12. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

That maybe directed at Carter, but I think he's countering this...

13. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I don't think Bush was making a swipe at obama. although i realize any contrary position to liberal policy is a racist attack against BHO, the fact is this statement by bush is not shocking at all, right or wrong it is the same position he has held throughout his administration...the dems are simply using this as more political pandering...im so sick of this election already, i cant believe i have to listen to 5 more months of this.

14. washparkhorn

I don't see any connection to Boehner and I think the Obama interview with Goldberg will be/was well received by those supportive of Israel in this country.

Obama is not off the reservation on the Middle Eastern chess match. Carter is and has been rightfully rebuked by both those in his party (including Obama) and the opposing party. Carter wandered way afield and Obama called him out on it:

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So both Bush and obama say we should not talk with terrorist groups or oganizations
    yet the cultists say Bush is wrong not to talk with terrorists orgs and took a " swipe" at obama?

interesting

16. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

17. washparkhorn

18. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

From cnn.com article.

19. Octavian

Octavian 100+ Posts

Bush's remark was obviously a jab at Obama. And the Israelis knew exactly what he was talking about....and they agree. Hillary Clinton also agrees.

But...Ahmed Yousef and Hamas probably disagree.

20. washparkhorn

21. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

22. washparkhorn

I guess Obama's run of the mill feigned outrage worked. Oh my!

23. washparkhorn

24. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

I see how it works....if a fact gets in the way of your own strawman, then you completely ignore the fact or call into question the motive of the reporter or the party charged with defending themselves.

Even if that fact comes from the very people you are defending.

Neato!

Can 2 play that game, wash?

25. washparkhorn

26. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

27. washparkhorn

It isn't defending. It is seizing an opportunity to create a straw man that elevates the candidate to the level of the office he seeks and claim victory in an argument never made.

It is political campaigning 101. It is a Rube Goldberg machine "rusing" the rubes.

28. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

29. Michael Knight

Michael Knight 1,000+ Posts

Countin the days when this idiot is gone

30. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

this wouldnt even be news if the obama camp had not made an issue of it. nobody listens to what bush has to say anymore. the obama camp wanted this to be news so it is.