Did Texas recruit Dez Bryant?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ptownhorn, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

I didn't know he was from Lufkin. How did he end up at OSU instead of Austin? I assume we wanted him.

2. 86 Texas Ex

86 Texas Ex 100+ Posts

I read that Texas, A&M and other schools showed interest but Bryant said that OSU showed consistent interest.

3. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

it came down to A&M and OSU, and he didnt want to play in fran's option offense.

4. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Hart Lee Dykes part Deux?

5. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Texas recruits kids that are TEXAS kids to begin with and can do simple math and english. Or is it English?

6. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

Texas was afraid Dez wouldn't qualify and didn't pursue him.

7. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Terrible grades issues. Not for Texas.

8. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

Is everyone calling Dez stupid because they actually know or is it just the cool thing to say?

Because it would be pretty ignorant to call someone an idiot because they brought 7 pairs of cleats to practice instead of 8. Or to call him stupid because he talks to Deion Sanders...

I just hope there is a good reason why there are a lot of talking heads here calling a 2nd team academic all-american stupid....

9. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Please refer me to the post that said he was stupid?

You might also look up the qualifications to earn All-Academic honors and see how prestigious that award has become.....

10. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

11. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

12. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

13. BertHorn

BertHorn 25+ Posts

I won't say he's stupid, but i will say he's not smart. And not just because of Sanders or the cleats.

14. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

No, because those players were guaranteed to qualify. There is a difference between players who are "not the most intelligent" and guys who "go to Oklahoma State because they basically fail all of their classes and standardized tests."

This was common knowledge at the time, so I don't know why you are arguing with the people who remember it or lambasting us for supposedly insulting the kid. He's got some great talents. Intelligence is not one of them. He'll make millions of dollars so who really cares?

15. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

somehow or another dez was second team academic all big 12 in 2008

16. No ACL

No ACL 250+ Posts

at the school that kept Dexter Manley eligible somehow.
    and let Chris Collins play

17. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

People with high school grade/standardized test score issues may or may not be smart, but it will cause a reduction in recruiting efforts by many schools which fear the player will not be able to carry their academic load.

18. TULPoke

TULPoke 100+ Posts

19. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

Bryant to the Associated Press. "I haven't did anything wrong to nobody."

THIS

20. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

21. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts