Did Tito's sell out?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by Orange&White, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

Someone in a bar yesterday told me that Tito's Vodka sold out to one of the big liquor companies. Is there any truth to this? If so, when did it happen?

I noticed a slight dropoff in quality about 2 years ago but it has remained constant since then.

2. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

I havent heard that and their website doesnt seem to indicate that

I dont think their quality is any different

they just had their 10 year anniversary in May and Tito said despite "rumors" he had no plans to cash in. said he was still young and planned to ride things as far as he can take them

3. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Not that I've heard, and I'm good friends with someone very close to the top. I think they're expanding capacity, though.

4. Orange&White

After actually thinking about it for more than a second, I noticed the dropoff in quality closer to about 5 years ago rather than the 2 years ago I previously stated. But, as I mentioned, it has remained consistent since then.

I am still really curious about it though. The GM of the restaurant was behind the bar and he said he had heard the same thing.

5. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

I would think if it was true there would have been some news about it. nothing on google or on their site...which still mentions tito being the owner and creator

6. Viper Daimao

Viper Daimao 100+ Posts

maybe they just signed some distribution deal with a big liquor company?

7. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

The distribution deal is probably more likely.

I was out at Tito's distillery in November and he has three huge new buildings going in, that are probably something like 4x the size of his existing facilities.

8. HornGrandioso

HornGrandioso 500+ Posts

I love Tito's.

9. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

Yeah Tito's is about the best value in the history of Vodka. I'm pretty sure that they haven't sold out.

10. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

11. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

I would be very happy if they made a citron.

12. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

13. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

just buy a lemon at the grocery store whose strip mall your liquor store is located in, problem solved [​IMG]

14. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

they bought in. I love getting it here in NYC

15. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

happyfunball does love his boat drinks, I can assure you.

He's also brought a bottle of Cab-Shiraz to the Salt Lick. I though we were going to be run out on a rail.

16. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

It was the Bin 389, it was the perfect accompaniment, and I do not think we were ever in any real danger.

17. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

Good thing you didn't wear your pink shirt.

18. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

The lack of danger was certainly due to the fact we had pretty dining companions and there were Shiner Bock bottles on my side of the table.

19. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

one of omar uresti's big sponsors is tito's. and now that omar is back on the pga tour for 2008, look for tito's to get some camera time, maybe starting as early as next week at the sony hawaii open, omar usually plays well there. [​IMG]

20. mrjefft

mrjefft 100+ Posts

It is a FACT that Tito's taste DID change 5 years ago. That is when I left. My name is Jeff T, and I WAS THE DISTILLER at Tito's who made the VODKA that won the Double Gold Medal at the San Fran Spirits Festival, I distilled it, mixed it, bottled, it, and got it ready to send. Then I had to convince Tito to send it, as he didn't want to. Now that it won, Tito takes all the credit, while refusing to pay me a decent wage. Now I work in the Communication sector. Tito will never sell out. I should know. I lived at his house and at the Distillery for two years, while I helped him grow from nothing. When I met Tito, he was selling about 800 cases A YEAR! I marketed, distilled, bottled, lived and breathed Tito's with the promise from Tito that, when he got rich, I would also. That, along with much of Tito's story, is mainly BS. I know many many stories about Tito and his startup that I will probably never tell, but, suffice it to say, his main interest is in his own personal gain. Anyone who was there trying to help him in the beginning is gone, forced out by Tito, who wanted, and has, the whole egg for himself now. Do me a favor, and drink Tanqueray Sterling instead. This Vodka tastes like Tito's, but for less money. Or drink ANY other Vodka. Tito won't even talk to me, now that he is rich, and remarried. Tyranny like that should not be rewarded. Also, by the way, Tito did change out to a new larger still 2 years ago. He never did pay close attention to the distilling himself, choosing instead to set up automated systems to remove the Head and Tails of the vodka by setting up a machine to do it, so he can go home and chill. The reason the Vodka was different when I was there? I was there, tasting the Vodka during the distillation, and distilling at a slower rate to allow the heads to come off completely before switching to the other barrels. It will NEVER taste like it did before. The original distiller, Tim S., and I, are long gone. Also, don't expect Tito to acknowledge any of this. He absolutely will act like I don't exist, or did nothing for him, maybe it was just a figment of my imagination. Not. Ciao

21. Horn_Spanker

Horn_Spanker 250+ Posts

What vegetable matter is being fermented to distill the vodka?

22. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Sorry to hear about your unhappy experiences with Tito, jefft. I don't know Tito personally, so I'll refrain from judging him. There are two sides to every story.

23. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Definitely two sides to every story. I've worked with them on charity events, but I don't know Tito or any of his employees (or former employees) personally, so I'll refrain from commenting as well.

To answer Horn_Spanker's question, the vegetable matter is corn.

24. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

Im far from any expert or anything but Titos still is damn good to me

Titos and Seven-up is always my go to mixed drink

25. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

jefft, i appreciate the inside look. as others said, i'm sure there are 2 sides to the story. but thanks for your insight. and if true, it does dampen my zeal for titos brand vodka.

but i'm sure your post will incite others to come to titos defense. this has the chance to become a classic thead.

[​IMG]

26. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Couple of weeks ago there was one of those tasting ladies at the liquor store in Dallas and she was pushing some new vodka from Austin. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I sure don't.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

27. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

28. Orange&White

I know that vodka drinkers have widely varying tastes and I also rarely will say that something is horrible, but Dripping Springs Vodka is just that. It is not smooth in the slightest sense. I threw away half a bottle of it.

They only filter it once and you can definitely tell that in the product. I really wanted to like it since it is one of the 4 liquors distilled in Texas but it is just not good.

29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

One thing about Mrjeff, he put the right distilling language in his post.

30. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

I did a project for Tito a few years back. while on tour of his 'facility' he filled up a shot glass and handed it to me. He was instructing me on how to correctly sip the liquid. Well, being in college I never met a shot glass i didn't just want to shoot. No sipping.

So I shoot it....and it's straight *** liquor. Hadn't been cut or watered down..or whatever yo ucall it.

Anyway, my throat completely shuts close and I can't breath. Really awesome experience.

nicest guy though ...we left with boxes of vodka.