Dinner in London

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by LordHornAustin, Feb 11, 2008.

1. LordHornAustin

LordHornAustin 100+ Posts

Ladyhorn and I will be there for a week and can use some suggestions. Any "must experience" restaurants? It does not, I repeat, does not, need to be local cuisine.

2. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

Couldn't you have just gone with HornAustin?

3. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

Dorcester Hotel. Great food in wonderful setting.

4. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

While you're there, I recommend Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. Most anywhere should be able to do it justice.

I also recommend having some Indian food...also just about anywhere.

5. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Get ready to drop plenty o' coin - get a copy of Time Out's Cheap Eats in London. Invaluable.

6. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

McDonalds

The British aren't exactly known for their cooking prowess.

7. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

8. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

Nothing like a $24 Sandwich

9. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

Actualy, most food critics will agree that London surpassed Paris as the capital of good cooking 15 or 20 years ago. London and NYC are probably recognized as the best places to eat good food.

10. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

lee ho fooks is pretty good [​IMG]

and you can check out the nobu there, i haven't been to that location so report back

11. LordHornAustin

12. nyc matt

nyc matt 25+ Posts

I've been to London somewhere over a dozen times... These are three of my favorite restaurants:

1. St. John Restaurant
    One of the best restaurants I've ever been to. The chef and owner is one of the world's most prominent champions of locally raised & grown, sustainable food, and it couldn't be better. There's some really adventurous stuff (he advocates using as much of the animal as you can), but the tamer fare is fantastic. One of the great pork chops I've ever eaten.

2. Lahore Kebab House
    Pakistani food is like Indian food with more beef. This place rocks so hard it's not even funny. BYOB but there is a liquor store next door.

3. Cafe Daquise, 20 Thurloe Street, South Kensington, London Wonderful Polish food, open since the war (WWII). Cheap (yay!) It's in South Kensington, which is a great area of London. Posh 'hood about a 15 minute walk directly down from Hyde Park. The restaurant is actually outside the South Kensington Tube Station, so it's easy to find.

13. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

Back to Basics - fantastic seafood.

Also London has some of the best Chinese and Indian food anywhere. We went to a chinese place in notting hill called Four Seasons (we were the only non-chinese in the entire restaurant) and then a place called Punjab near the theater district for Indian. Other than that the pub food is awesome. Oh the Churchill Arms has Thai food with a 2 hour wait.

14. LordHornAustin

Thanks for the suggestions - we will have to hit some of those. We are also thinking of trying one of the Gordon Ramsay restaurants. Any thoughts on that?

15. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Yeah there is still bad food here (as in any city) but there are some amazing restaurants. If you want to pick one of the very famous ones, you will need to book well ahead.

Here is a list that may help too:
    The Link

16. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

We ate at a place called Le Porte Des Indes - Indian with French influence. The decor is a bit over the top but the food was excellent.

17. 77horn

77horn 500+ Posts

Rules Restaurant

its the oldest continuously operating restaurant in London. (which is pretty cool)

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

By the end of the week you will be into serious Tex-Mex withdrawal, so go to the Texas Embassy Cantina at Trafalger (behind the Canadian Building.)

19. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

1. Simpson's in the Strand for roast meats, Yorkshire Pudding. Very Olde kinda place.

2. Veeraswamy's for Indian food. Believe it or not, it is the oldest Indian Restaurant in the World. (The caste system in India made it difficult for restaurants-I guess someone could not eat food cooked by anyone much below them in the caste structure. Not sure this still applies.)

20. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Why the hell would you want to eat Tex Mex in London when you live in Texas???

Don't eat Tex Mex in London....very very bad idea.

Leave it to the pros and eat it in Texas.

[​IMG]

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

But after a week the need does arise! [​IMG]

22. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

23. LadyHornAustin

LadyHornAustin 100+ Posts

I have a rule. I do not eat Mexican food in any restaurant north the Red River or East of the Sabine River.

Good suggestions y'all, keep 'em coming!