Disappointed in fans yesterday

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by elguapo, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] We get a "disappointed in fans" post after every single home game, and a "hooray for our fans" post after every single away game. Let's just consider them a wash for the rest of eternity so we don't have to rehash the same thing every week.

Our fans are needy and lazy at the same time, so when we're blowing someone out at home, it's natural that everyone starts leaving. We're Texas, and we got better things to do than watch 3rd stringers make progress in a sure thing.

Our road fans are also warriors. We pack visiting sections well, and everyone always compliments our demeanor and grace. Whenever an Aggie or Raider or Bear throws a drink (or poop) at our visiting section, rivals even come to our aid because our fans are so nice and great.

End of discussion.

2. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

3. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

4. bobekteam

bobekteam 25+ Posts

5. horns4everup

horns4everup 250+ Posts

To me it is a privelege and an honor to get to go to the games and we get there early for the team buses, stay until the stadium is practically empty. Cannot imagine leaving any game early. The day does not end mid-3rd quarter just because we have put the game away. It is all interesting even after The Eyes, watching the band get their things together and leave the field and whatever else is happening on the field. It is all good, I don't begrudge anyone for going early, just always amazed that they want to, as we live for Longhorn football season and don't ever want to miss a second of it when it is finally here. And to add to that the very important fact that it boosts players morale, can't imagine ever leaving early for any reason.

6. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

I look like Richard Dryfess in Close Encounters of the 3rd kind.

Sunburn on one the right side of my face. I am glad i left with about 9:00 left on the clock or my face would really be messed up. It was pretty warm. It was about 20 degrees cooler in the concession areas under the stadium.

Can't believe i forgot the sunscreen.

7. Legdog

Legdog < 25 Posts

looked cool from our seats... but yeah, this was early

I was especially proud of the fans in the northwest corner who stood and gave the Baylor team an ovation as they left DKR.

[​IMG]

8. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

9. Goothrey

Goothrey 100+ Posts

The Link

"I was a little disappointed with the lack of howling banshees in the upper deck at the LSU-Auburn game, but Texas appears to take apathy to a level even beyond that you might find at a Michigan-Indiana game."

[​IMG]

10. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I was there until The Eyes, but that pic was very clearly taken near the end of the game.

The stadium was never full, but it was mostly full about halfway through the first Q.

The sun was relentless, and I noticed a lot of people with children leaving at halftime.

11:00 games suck.

11. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

much like the fans at the game, all i can say about the fans participation/attendance is 'meh'

ive left early before and will again when the game is out of hand and we aren't even running an offense anymore. and it REALLY sucks when that non offense gets penalties and flubs around on the goal line.

12. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

A lot of fans that sit on the east side showed up late or not at all

13. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

What other paying customers do is none of my business.

I would love for the team to see a almost full stadium for four quarters, but that just is not going to happen very often at DKR. Never has (since 56) and probably never will.

I stay, and those who go with me know they will be staying too. But that's just me.

Some people need to get over themselves.

14. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

The problem isn't how long people stay, it's what they do when they're there...presumably 60% of the seats during Baylor were filled by the same people there for Missouri, yet the atmosphere was totally different...

Don't focus on who's there when we're running the clock out with 6 minutes left, focus on who's in their seat being a lame-*** in the middle of the 1st quarter..

15. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Thank you horns4everup! Unfortunately I don't think I will ever be Bill in Austin due to my age and economic and job situations among other circumstances. Austin would be my choice to live because if I were there I would be trying to go to every UT game and that includes not only football but swimming, volleyball, cross country, track, soccer, softball, baseball, rowing, etc.
    Still I am a fan and will cheer them from Sinton.

GO HORNS!

[​IMG]

16. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

One thing you don't hear anymore from Brown is about Texas "having the best fans in the country". He used to spit that out that, over and over. Regardless of how ridiculous it was. Not so anymore.

17. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

18. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

Where is the original poster? Perhaps he would like to come back and defend why HE was not at the game - yet is critical of those of us who were AT the freaking game.

Give me a break.

19. horns4everup

horns4everup 250+ Posts

20. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

Why should I have to defend why I wasn't able to make the game? You have no idea of my circustances or situation, and I'm not going to explain them to some random message board poster.

I get that not everyone is going to stay the entire game, especially if you have little ones with you. I just think the #4 team in the country deserves more than an empty stadium for much of the 4th quarter. JMO and if it offends you then sorry.

21. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

TXchic...two years ago at the okie state game, I had TWO extra tickets I was trying to sell before the game...at our tailgate. No luck. On my walk to the stadium, I held them up, but got no takers. I stood for about fifteen minutes, outside the SEZ. By the time I gave up, I had in my possession TWELVE extra tickets, two of which were on the 40 yard line, west side. People just handed them to me as they walked by.

You can find cheap or free tickets to about 80% of the home games, if you just ask around the tailgates or if you see people, who are obviously not scalpers, right before kick off.

[​IMG]

22. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

free/under 25$ tix abound on gamedays. dont be afraid to walk all the way up to the gates in search of tix.

23. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

24. Goothrey

Goothrey 100+ Posts

Not everybody can afford $70 a ticket for a game against Baylor. Or a pair of tickets for $100 plus price for parking, food etc...

Not everybody can make it to a game whether prior plans or proximity to Austin.

I've never understood paying that much dough and not staying the entire game myself.

25. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I live 4 hours from Austin and attend about 95% of home and away games. I just didn't want to go last weekend and I don't feel bad about it at all.

26. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I sold one of my tickets for $10, and would have included the other if the buyer had needed two.

The place was swimming in extra tickets Saturday. People were literally giving them away. If you're not a season-ticket holder but want to go to a game, Baylor in Austin is always a good bet for finding a ticket on the cheap.

I stayed til the end last Saturday, and was proud not only to sing The Eyes of Texas, but also give the bruins of the Brazos an ovation they richly deserved.

The are only three conditions that would cause me to leave early:

1) we are getting our asses handed to us and I look down and see our players laughing it up on the sideline (see Baylor 1989; Tech Tech 1993). I don't leave if we are getting beaten but our players are still playing hard and obviously caring about the game (see aggy 2006; Kansas State 2007). If the team doesn't care, why the f**k should I ??

2) the monsoon hits and I am freezing to the point that my lips have turned blue (see Missouri 1996)

3) someone with me gets sick and needs to leave (I can't remember which game it was that my husband started throwing up -- and he hadn't had any booze -- but I took him home in the third quarter)

27. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

28. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

29. tony2612

tony2612 25+ Posts

You cant get angry at the people that left. I said fifteen times I was going to leave after the next series, but ended up staying for the eyes. I come from Chicago almost every weekend, was at Tech, and leaving in about two hours going to Kansas. My thing is, if I want to leave, I will, if I dont, I'll stay. It's always fun either way.

30. Feloin

Feloin 25+ Posts

Just wondering if anyone saw the #1 team in the nation Alabama's stadium (SEC) with 10 minutes left tonight - half full. On ESPN Sportscenter they showed a clip of Saban challenging the fans to show up and support the team.

It's not just Texas fans. It's fans in general.

Having the most financially successful athletic program in the history of college sports with terrible fans simply does not stand up to reason and common sense.

I stay for the eyes 99% of the time, not because someone from the internets tells me to, but for the sense of pride that it brings, home or away, win or lose.