Disch Falk Field

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by dbfootball, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dbfootball

dbfootball 250+ Posts

Notice that they were pulling up the old stuff.

I also took pictures

DISCH FALK FIELD

2. PitchingGuru

PitchingGuru 100+ Posts

Any idea how long it takes to get this put in? Will they be able to practice there this fall or travel to maybe Dell to get in their fall practice.

3. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

Wow! Thanks for the alert! Did you get the impression this is all new rug, or just the red part?

4. troon75

troon75 < 25 Posts

From Statesman.com...

New turf for baseball field
    By Alan Trubow
    Friday, August 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
    The old turf at UFCU Disch-Falk Field is being torn up.

When the Longhorns take the field in 2009, the Disch-Falk renovation will be complete.

According to Texas officials, the Longhorns will be installing FieldTurf from a company called FieldTurf Tarkett.

5. dbfootball

dbfootball 250+ Posts

I wonder where Alan got the tip [​IMG]

6. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

That's too bad. I liked the Astroturf.

7. IsThatATitleist?

IsThatATitleist? 250+ Posts

grow grass...

8. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

Always thought the turf gave us an edge.

9. nc05wc01

nc05wc01 < 25 Posts

they are going to scrimmage and play their fall games at the dell diamond
    on wednesdays (scrimmage) and sunday (games)

10. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Please God, tell me they will still have dirt slide paths and at the plate.

11. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Ditto Son of a Son. The field at Tech looks like **** because the basepaths, sliding pits and home plate area are also made of field turf in a sick red color.

It looks *********.

12. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

Let's ALL forget that the only times Jordan Danks was thrown out stealing was on Field Turf at Tech and either Missou or K State (I THINK Missou).

m/

13. Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed < 25 Posts

NebLHAB....please check your facts.

You said Danks was only caught stealing on field turf which is not true. Danks was thrown out 5 times in 2008 and the last two times it was on dirt. Check the box scores.

5/24/08 vs. OU at Big 12 Tourn. in OKC
    6/01/08 vs. St Johns at Rice Regional in Hou

I will agree that field turf is a slower surface to run on but its not as bad as you make it out to be. On the flip side, it will be much easier to bunt on. Being that it wont roll to the defender as fast and the new field will not be crowned like the old one so you wont have a bunch of bunts roll foul like we did on turf.

P.S. Missouri has dirt

14. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

15. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

16. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Well as long as you don't have to drive, the winning really is not all that important. [​IMG]

17. 40 ACRZ

40 ACRZ 100+ Posts

Does anyone have insight as to whether the new field will have REAL dirt in the base pits or will be be a laughing stock like Tech?

18. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

19. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

Saturday, Sept. 13: D-F FIeld was covered with black plastic. A bulldozer was parked in RF. There was no one at work. There were trenches spaced evenly that looked like drains to me. THere were also little piles of crushed limestone in regular intervals along the edges of all the trenches, presumably to hold down the plastic in case the hurricane hit. The surface is almost back up to where it was originally, after being dug out a foot or so deep after the astroturf was yanked. This new turf is a much bigger job than I thought.

20. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

They just did this to House Park and it didn't seem to take too long. I figured it would be ready for fall ball, but maybe not.

21. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

You're right about House Park not taking that long. What is taking so long?

22. campwillben

campwillben 100+ Posts

I saw green on the field as I was getting on the upper deck of 35 yesterday afternoon after work. Couldn't really tell if sliding pits were there or not.

23. dbfootball

dbfootball 250+ Posts

24. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

I went by today after work and they were putting in the warning track (orange turf) and embedding the foul line in the turf. The entire infield is covered at this point in green turf, even the pitchers mound. They were also putting in a large longhorn logo behind second base. Still no evidence of what they are going to do around the bases.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks db.

26. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

Crap! Looks like the base paths are going to be all turf. They have put in an orange turf "sliding pit" around second base and started working on third base. Still no evidence of what they are going to do around home plate. I am very disappointed. I can handle the plastic grass, but not sure I can ever get used to plastic dirt.

27. Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed < 25 Posts

The only dirt on the field will be the mound.

28. campwillben

campwillben 100+ Posts

From what I could tell today, it looks like there will be a Longhorn behind 2nd base. Not sure what to think about that.

29. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

Only dirt is on the mound?

30. NoColon

NoColon 25+ Posts

as of the end of this past season, I recall hearin from the ground crew the mound and home plate would be the only dirt. however plans might have changed. I will try to confirm.