Disch Falk Field

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by dbfootball, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

This field sucks. Should never have gotten rid of the old turf. It was fine. Should have just gotten some new astro turf. Field turf is awful for baseball.

2. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

Agree.

3. 40 ACRZ

40 ACRZ 100+ Posts

I personally don't know if FT is aweful for baseball or not... but turf sliding pits is DEFINITELY aweful for baseball! This sucks!!!! [​IMG]

4. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

What is the advantage of having the new turf in the new places?

5. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

None. The field turf will slow down baserunners sliding. It also really slows down the ball. It is gonna be a tough adjustment for our players changing from never having to charge the ball to having to charge like crazy to get the ball.

6. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

Sounds like a possiblity of more injuries?

7. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

8. iowahorn11

iowahorn11 100+ Posts

Have any of you guys ever actually played BASEBALL on field turf? I spent the entire last summer practicing and taking ground balls on it daily due to the floods in Iowa. It's really not as bad as you make it out to be. Sure, it's slower than astro turf. But its still WAY faster than the natural grass most of the players have played on their whole lives. Keep in mind, most of these kids didn't have professional grounds crews to manicure the fairway length infield you guys are used to seeing in the pros, CWS, etc. They played on relatively long (therefore slow) grass infields. They're spending this entire off-season on grass and eventually this new field turf, they'll get used to it.

I also disagree with the complaint that it will slow down sliding baserunners. Field turf isn't long grass, it is still relatively short, and the rubber actually reacts very much like dirt when it is slid on. Speaking from experience, you slide farther (and faster) on field turf than you do on dirt, IMO. When this stuff gets wet, you can literally slide 15-20 feet if you dont do a pop up slide.

I do REALLY wish that the plate area was dirt (along with the mound obviously), because I didn't really like hitting on field turf. I would also like to add that I too would have preferred the dirt infield, but the arguments against the turf have been pretty baseless IMO. The only cause of my preference is the tradition of the dirt.

9. Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed < 25 Posts

The field turf is FINISHED and it looks great. It really makes the new DFF shine even more than it did last year. The horns will start practicing on the field immediately and will play all of their fall games at DFF, not at Dell.

10. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

No dirt around the plate is awful. Hitting on anything but dirt is never good. And I also don't like no dirt around the bases. It is a baseball field damnit. It is all about dirt. I am really disappointed with the field turf. I have played baseball on it before and it is by far my least favorite out of Grass, astroturf, and field turf. But no dirt is absolutely awful.

11. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

We'll see how it goes this season? Dirt is all about baseball. I'm guessing the uniforms don't get dirty either?

12. NoColon

NoColon 25+ Posts

walked around inside Disch Falk today and it looks beautiful. watched the team for a while. you really need to see it for yourself to see how awesome it looks. it will take some gettin used to watchin clouds of rubber balls fly up when the ball hits the turf.

[​IMG]

13. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

Sounds like we can say goodbye to dirty uniforms. Unless there is a brawl on the pitcher's mound that goes to the ground.

14. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

15. PitchingGuru

PitchingGuru 100+ Posts

Unless something has just very recently changed, they are still playing Rice at Dell.
    "play all of their fall games at DFF, not at Dell."

16. westtechsan

westtechsan < 25 Posts

Dan Law Field only has dirt on the pitcher's mound. I'm still not used to it. Link

17. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

18. Alex_de_Large

Is that from a video game?

19. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

No upkeep? That doesn't look like a real baseball diamond.

20. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

21. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

I don't like the idea of field turf...

*however*

It did take me a season and a half to notice the base paths were field turf when Washington switched.

The dish and the mound are dirt, the warning track is purple.

22. Alex_de_Large

Why would anyone, who is contemplating a career in professional baseball, want to play on a field where you bat off a carpet?

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is crap! Was this forced on Augie or was it his idea?

24. Bubba Don

Bubba Don 250+ Posts

Maybe people that want to play for the Tampa Bay Rays would like it......

Hook em

25. Alex_de_Large

Why do they bat on carpet too?

26. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

Do you get carpet burns when you slide?

27. Alex_de_Large

No, but you build up such a large static charge, when someone tries to tag you, the arc blows the ball right out of their glove. [​IMG]

28. NoColon

NoColon 25+ Posts

this was Augie's idea. What sealed the deal was the series in Lubbock this past season.

29. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

Yea Augie really liked the turf in Lubbock. The field turf sucks but I can deal with it. It is the lack of dirt that sucks.