Disciplining Children

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Chuck_Norris, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Used2btexaslover

Used2btexaslover 250+ Posts

I think the charts and stickers tend to work better for girls. We tried it and my son didn't give a flying flip.

2. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

3. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

another male preschool teacher here.

the key is asking once and following through on that. You may remind them that you only ask once, or even ask, "when do we listen to (the teacher, mom, dad)" and have them say the "first time".

None of the asking them to do something, they don't do it, you make a motion to them and they do it. If i move towards the child, we
    re talking about listening to the teacher.

always in a positive way.

In regards to the ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT LISTEN / OBEY, most of my conversations in the classroom go like this,
    "Jimmy, here are your choices, you may clean up the crayons and then go outside to play like the rest of your friends or you may clean up the crayons and sit on our pillow with a book.

it's your choice"

Kids will absolutely choose time out instead of cleaning up, so if that's part of the options you give them, make it after whatever they have to do first.

And of course, patience, understanding it's a parent child relationship and they are only a child after all [​IMG]

4. Jakes on Fifth

Jakes on Fifth 25+ Posts

My oldest girl is 13 and she is really quite wonderful, I've loved being around her her whole life, with the glaring exception of when she was three. [​IMG]

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

These posts were brought to you by parents. Of children.

6. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

That's a good point. If we want some real expert opinions, we need some people without kids to chime in.

7. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

8. Used2btexaslover

Used2btexaslover 250+ Posts