Disgraceful DKRM facts

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by huisache, Nov 29, 2017.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The band placement has been mentioned elsewhere and I will only second the fact that the Tech band was easily heard from 103 and I could not sing the Eyes at the end because it was inaudible.

MY big complaint: the ads, especially the Wells Fargo ones. At the end of the game they give a puny scholarship to one student and $500 to some general fund and get plugs all game long as well as the big ad on the Godam****itron. This company gets written up in the Wall Street Journal for its fraudulent practices with some regularity. I would not be surprised if they were giving out unsought accounts to everybody who attends the game.

Yet we are a state university, the state university some of us think, in the proudest state in the union and we take their money and boost their product relentlessly during our games and act like it is no problem.

What's next? Name the film department after Harvey Weinstein? How about the Charles Whitman Department of Emergency Medicine at the new med school?

Is there nothing that Powers, Fenves and their ilk wont do for money?

And congrats to Fenves for apparently settling the lawsuit involving the male student who he kicked out after the guy had been cleared by the pertinent committee but before her dad.......well, you know.
    T

• Like Like x 4
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes. They will not do the right thing; nor will they do anything with class or dignity.

As you pointed out, they can be counted on to ***** the school out for any amount of money.

FWIW, what you read about Wells Fargo isn't even the tip of the iceberg for there corrupt dealings. They openly lie to their employees in training and feed them false information for them to provide clients.

• Like Like x 3
  3. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Who made the decision to stop playing "The Yellow Rose of Texas"? The band or Fenves ?

Also, why are we being subjected to ghetto music instead of country and western or the band? I thought I was in a low rider in the 3rd ward.
    They don't know their audience.(Foundation season ticket holders)

• Like Like x 3
  4. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

Well said, everyone. All of this has been driving me nuts. Makes me actually not want to go to the games in person, which is NOT the effect they want. My seats are 50 yardline 5th row of the upper deck, west side. I did notice that they turned the Jumbotron down a little bit, but it's still annoying and distracting!

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I could barely hear the band from section 1 - pointing it towards the open end instead of the closed end makes no sense.

6. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Ivan ... did you notice what music was played during the "Salute to Veterans" fireworks show the other night?

I didn't hear a single French Montana cut during that entire 7.5 minute display. (yeah, I goggled "hip hop artists")
    America The Beautiful ... Straight No Chaser.
    American Soldier ... Toby Keith
    Stranglehold ... Ted Nugent
    Any Way You Want it ... Journey
    Thunderstruck ... AC/DC
    1812 Overture

Right here for those who missed it.

@huisache ... EXCELLENT post.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I literally spit coffee out reading this...

• Like Like x 2
  8. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, it was very good. A nice respite.

All during warmups , ghetto blaster Jumbotron was blaring hip hop.
    During the game, more ghetto blaster Jumbotron.
    Then we were asked to pick the best of three ghetto rags.
    I stood up and said I have one write in vote for the yellow rose of Texas, much to the enjoyment of the crowd in my area. You know, the foundation members that had their fingers in their ears.

Who decided to quit playing the yellow rose of Texas ?

• Like Like x 4
  9. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

after many years of trying to move the band around....we need to get them back between the 20 and 40 on the Eastside.....like it was when I was standing out in front of them for three years....then, EVERYONE can hear them...big distraction to be right behind the opposing team, too!!! HOOK'em!!!

• Like Like x 5
  10. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Yes! And so we (and the opponents) can hear the cowbells that the LHB members are ringing (something else from the old days that I miss. They still have the cowbells, but of course now they can't be heard).

• Like Like x 1
  11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Not us! Atleast not those that sit around me. Everyone hates that **** music! And we want to hear our band at breaks in the action. Nor do we like those obnoxious give away contests in the end zones. Although the scores from around the country are displayed on the screens, go back to announcing the big ones. Be Texas Football again, got damn it!!

• Like Like x 5
  12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

No, everyone cannot hear the band from that location - everyone in the East side behind/above the band for several sections can hear only the percussion and nothing else.

13. OZZMAN

OZZMAN < 25 Posts

"Ghetto music", huh. Guess this faction / attitude is still part of our fanbase.

14. D Henry

D Henry < 25 Posts

Unfortunately, yes. smh.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ivan,

Remember that we support the most politically correct university in the country. To quote Percy Miller when I met with him at Washington on the Bayou, "it's project music".

Percy saved his money, bought recording time, had cassette tapes made, and gave them away free in "the projects" of NOLA. Then he went to the radio stations, gave them copies, and told them, "This is what the kids in the projects are listening to"

As a side note, I had been given his audited FS before our meeting. I had to call my son to ask him who is this guy and how can he possibly make that much money in five months. Although he is a poor judge of personnel, he remains one of the smartest people I've ever met.

16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Please don't flame me but it would make sense to me that the atmosphere is not just for the fans; it should also be maximized for performance on the field. If the players like that kind of music then there's an argument for it. If the fans hate it, then there's an argument that the fans won't be as lathered as possible, which assumes the music does that.

The two games that stick out in my mind the most in the last ten years in terms of the fans showing up loud and staying loud was the Notre Dame game in Charlie's last year and the Missouri game a few years ago (I believe Chase Daniels was their QB and they came in highly rated). I'm not sure I recall the music at either game but the fans were going nuts. I'd replay that Missouri game back if I was a decision-maker to see what was happening because I was in the East stands not far from their bench and the Missouri seemed to be in a bit of a daze about the environment in general. I recall them looking up and around at the goings on and they seemed to be taking it all in during the game. It was perfect.

17. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

then you agree ... this stuff isn't getting it done AT ALL.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Ha... Namaste... I see what you did there.

19. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Speaking of Charles Whitman, I actually have a friend named Charles Whitman and one evening he went up to the top of the tower and checked in there on Facebook. It was rather amusing if you know what I mean.

20. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm pretty sure players energy levels are more directly influenced by crowd noise and participation more than any other factor. Get the fans into it and the team responds.

• Like Like x 4