DMN Reports Greg Davis Fired

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TxStHorn, Dec 2, 2010.

1. dcc8203

dcc8203 100+ Posts

The original source for this story was Jesus S. over at recruitocosm.

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I agree with Yo
    I guess I understand the level of negative emotion directed toward GD but it isn't like he deliberately screwed up.

I hope he is allowed to take another position if he wants or I hope he is allowed to leave with some dignity.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Everybody and their bloodhound is reporting it so that just in case it turns out to be true they can say they had the inside scoop before it became official. That's not reporting, it's guessing + the knowledge that nobody remembers who it was that rightly refrained from breaking a false story early.

4. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

This had to happen, Mack had no other choice. What I am hearing is that Davis is one of the nicest guys in the world? I thought Texas playcalling could have been alot better and I wish Davis nothing but the best whatever he does.

5. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

I have learned in life never say never

6. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

7. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I am glad, but it also makes me sad.

He did some great things at Texas.

I wish Mr. Davis the best. He may look back on this as a blessing, because either he was not good enough to do what was expected, or he was being unfairly ridiculed for the shortcomings of others or being given inconsistent expectations. Either way, he's got to have been living a stressed life.

Maybe UNT needs him as OC now.

8. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

Some jobs in life arn't a constant arms race, in a struggle to survive. Others are. Being a football coach at a big time college is in the second group.

Every year is a challenge to get better, smarter, more creative. Because your opponets are doing that.

By accident, luck, or design Davis had some good yeas here and some good offenses. But the game has passed him by. If he doesn't have an NFL quality QB the offense stinks. Stinks. Just Fnking stinks.

That doesn't make him a bad person, just someone who can no longer meet the challenge that comes with the OC job at Texas. No one has a right to that job. It's given if earned., and kept if earned. He didn't deserve to keep it based on performance, so we wish him well, and now we need to find a quality OC who is capable of performing at the high level Texas expects.

9. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

Let the show begin....[​IMG]

10. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

I've had to fire good people (people I like, but are not the best person for the job, for various reasons) on occasion, and I know many of you here have as well. It's not fun. I'm not into hurting people, but "reassigning" is simply necessary sometimes, for the good of the organization. That's the case here, it seems.

Wish Davis all the best in his new role. Heck, he might actually enjoy life more without the pressure. And that would be a good thing.

11. Orange Marrow

Orange Marrow 250+ Posts

12. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

seems like orangebloods/chip brown/ketch have a strong connection to your athletic department.

seems like someone in the know said "this is what's happening, keep it on the DL until we tell you otherwise"

and it seems like they got way too excited, shot their wad and reported it as fact.

that doesnt mean that the outcome will be any different, just that orangebloods reported it far too quickly.

13. UT Longhorn

UT Longhorn 500+ Posts

Some of you need to get you head out of your ***, realize there are other sites besides this one and OBs. GD is gone and Ketch didn't break the story. He was scooped. The amount of misinformation and the amount of uninformed yet opinionated people around here is staggering.

Just because you haven't heard of a site or a person doesn't make them wrong or irrelevant to the story by default.

14. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

The firing is incorrect, he will have some other position most likely in athletic dept? Several on hornfans and some on ESPN Austin thought Davis would never be replaced, my question to you is how can you think that after what you saw this past year?

15. WTHorn

WTHorn 100+ Posts

16. Tequila Sunrise

Tequila Sunrise < 25 Posts

[​IMG]
    I've observed but haven't posted in years. I have been depressed since Greg & Mack kept Applewhite out fo the BigXII chamionship game against Colorado, which we lost, keeping us from a national championship game.

I have hated GD for 12 years! If you think about it we would have had 3 NC's with a better OC. The ultimate blame lies with Mack, but GD was the source of our woes. How many times did we have to hear "we will make some changes" after losing to Oklahoma in mid October. The only change should have been replacing the OC.

The only hope we had was 1) Recruiting top talent 2) Freaky QB's (Vince & Colt). You could tell VY rarely (if ever) completed a GD play in the NC year. Colt had Alabama on their heels until he was injured (by a Whorter coached line), but also on a GD play call rarely (if ever) used or practiced.

Goodbye GD, and screw you for screwing us outta 2 more NC's and making me sit through this crappy season. I woulda drop kicked you in 1999. Mack may be an ok head coach, but he lacks the balls it takes to be a good CEO. Not being able to fire your underperforming friend is not a good thing, especially as much as he is paid. Us fans are the only suckers.

Greg Davis' motto: "I take high school football freaks and make most of them average".

17. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Recruitocosm was all over this from day one. They whipped everybodys *** on the story and didnt charge a dime.

I dont care if that pisses off the pay sites one bit.

I bet they are right on a lot of other aspects of this story too.

18. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

19. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

someone call CHUCK NORRIS...a good night's sleep is coming!

20. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

21. WestGAHorn

WestGAHorn 500+ Posts

22. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the guy has done nothing to deserve some of the bile and hate spewed at him. I have no problem with wanting him replaced, but the fact that he's not employed by us isn't what I'll be excited about, but the prospect of getting our offense back on track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another vote for this.

24. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i guess those years we put up 50+ a game were just the players drawing plays up in the sand. GD isnt a bad coach, he isnt a genius, he had a very very successful run in my opinion but I think some new blood is necessary at this time as things really got out of hand this year.

25. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Actually, it is probably more truthful to say that Greg Davis is being reassigned as opposed to being fired.

26. Hornithologist

Hornithologist 100+ Posts

27. Tequila Sunrise

Tequila Sunrise < 25 Posts

Greg Davis is like Nancy Pelosi. Opponents really love them to see them back for another year. [​IMG]

28. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

29. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Is it just a coincidence that there is a young, former UT QB standing behind GD on the front page of OB?

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I am with Mandingo. Let's don't forget someone had to put together offenses that played to Vince's and Colt's strengths. Mack just didn't put 10 other guys out there and say "help the QB score".

Davis' problem was without a superior QB, he could not elevate the offensive play to cover (see the Simms and Gilbert years).