DMN Reports Greg Davis Fired

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TxStHorn, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Hey I dont hate the guy personally and I understand these people have families, etc. Thats why you have to applaud the efforts being made behind the scenes to provide a soft landing.

Greg Davis didnt kill anybody.

That said, I love Texas football. For me to feel justified in making the continued emotional and financial investment means that I want Texas football to be reference standard in every respect.

We should be the best in every facet and we arent even average regarding schemes and offensive execution. That has to change.

Good is the enemy of Great. And Texas should be Great.

2. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

3. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

As far as we know (based on OB reporting), HE ISN'T DEPARTING. He's just getting kicked upstairs. He'll probably have little to no responsibilities and draw the same salary. I'd trade places with him in a heart beat.

5. Kaiser Sose

Kaiser Sose 100+ Posts

I don't think this this is personal with 99.9% of the posters up here. Nobody hates Greg Davis, but most just feel it's time (perhaps overdue) for a new perspective. Even the best companies don't let things get stale. This offense is stale and just needs a new set of eyes on it. Which is why, as much as I like Applewhite, that I hope they go outside the program for this position. At the same time it sounds like Applewhite is hungry and I think that alone will do wonders.

Thank you Coach Davis for your significant contributions to our program. Thank you Mack Brown for making the difficult but correct call in making a change.

6. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

As far as we know, he isn't even being reassigned, all we know is that a website is speculating he will.

7. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

If he would be willing to take it, I would be happy to have GD stick around as our QB coach. I think he was an excellent position coach for VY and Colt but his short-comings as an OC were on display this past season.

I doubt he would take it, but I would be happy if he did. Plus, he would also be able to end his career with Mack at the program and in the state he loves.

8. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

A few thoughts:

1. If its true that he will no longer be the OC, I think that is almost certainly a good thing for Texas Football (I say "almost" because I guess its possible his replacement would do worse, but that seems doubtful). So in that sense I am pleased.

2. Everything you read about Davis personally makes him out to be a good, decent guy that is well-liked by the rest of the staff and his players. So if he is actually being "fired", then that is too bad, and I feel bad for him personally. I hope that his disappointment can be minimized, and if he is indeed being kicked upstairs into some other capacity, then hopefully that will soften the blow somewhat.

3. So, as much as I am satisfied that this is the right decision and that the Horns are moving in the right direction, its a bitter-sweet day because a good guy who has been a class Horn all along is probably suffering right now. Had he been a jerk (like Saban or Pelini or...) then I wouldn't care, but he isn't.

4. Thus, I think people should hit the brakes with all of the rejoicing. Its a little unseemly. Its the right decision, but it was still a painful one for Mack and for Greg.

9. dcc8203

dcc8203 100+ Posts

Rex,

Who is the guy in your sig pic? Looks like Greg Oden in the fourth grade!

10. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Rex, I share your giddiness.

11. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

12. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

14. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Stalin did believe in an overwhelming ground attack

15. lanceut

lanceut 250+ Posts

Hey, Wade Phillips is a really nice guy too, but he had to go and the same goes for GD too. Doesn't mean he isn't a good person that's done good things for the university, but it's past time for him to go too.

16. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Stalin would also kill all his assistants because of perceived insubordination.

17. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

HP Slugga, You Sir%

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Stalin would only succeed if it were still the days of unlimited scholarships.

19. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

If this is true (ie reassigned or fired...but probably reassigned) then the new OC will BE UNDER TREMENDOUS PRESSURE to produce immediately and the first signs of trouble/ineptness will the fan base crucify him?.....Good job but it comes with the baggage of being almost as high profile (at least in this area of the Country) as a head coach.....

This will be interesting and something has to happen fast!

20. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

The last 12 years count as first signs. IIRC correctly, firegregdavis.com was registered like 10 years ago [​IMG]

21. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

I find it hard to believe he will have no responsibilities and get the same $427,000, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him get about 300,000 for doing nothing for the rest of his life.

To me, this is how powerful he is. I guess unless the next coach decides to say goodbye to Greg.

22. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

23. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

24. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

David McWilliams left his job under less than best of circumstances, went upstairs & brought god knows how much $$$$ to the University. he certainly earned his keep. he is a Longhorn in Good Standing today, regardless of those of us who wanted his *** on a platter circa 1991. May Greg follow in David's footsteps. while wishing him to not be our OC next year, i wish Greg all the best...especially if he IS our OC next year (i haven't seen the press conference announcing otherwise, yet).

25. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

26. muschyD

muschyD 250+ Posts

27. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Don't you just love rumors?

Anybody want to start a new one?

Hitler found live in Argentine lovenest with Elvis and LBJ!!

or

Lady Gaga: I am the love child of Elizabeth Taylor and Andre the French Giant!!!!

my favorite:

Texas fans sit back and wait for press conference announcing what, if any, changes there will be in coaching staff.

28. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

29. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

He threw the bubble screen to Kwame Cavil - a lot.

30. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts