DMN Reports Greg Davis Fired

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TxStHorn, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

2. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Mack names Greg Davis as his Executive Assistant. Now wouldn't that be weird? (After the poor job Greg Davis did for us this year, I wouldn't be thanking Greg for anything.)

It wouldn't surprise me if Mack names Applewhite as offensive coordinator. I hope it doesn't happen.

3. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

Major saved Mack and Greg's *** the first couple of seasons. There is no way we would have gotten to 9 wins those first years if Major had not been here. You can say whatever you want about his supposed lack of "upside" but Major was a great college QB and could have won the Heisman his senior year. In my opinion, he would have.
    But I want to go back to a couple of things I never forgot from those years. First was a Greg Davis quote before the '99 season. He said that the year before they were trying to win Ricky the Heisman, so he couldn't run his offense. He said this would be his first season he got to really unveil his brand of offense.

This gave me alarm when I read it. The '98 offense was not just Ricky. That team had beautiful balance, maybe the best I have seen by a Longhorn team. If you stacked the box to stop Ricky, like OSU tried doing, then Major had a 400-yard passing day. It was pick your poison. Why would we want to get away from that?

The '99 offense had some prolific games against weak teams, but against tougher opponents it was abysmal - KSU, Nebraska in the Big XII XP, and the Cotton Bowl. In fact, we also lost our opener vs. NC State. We became predictable and had horrible OL protection vs. good defenses. We were lucky to get some turnovers vs. NU in the first matchup, and Major had two great drives throwing the ball to give us the come-from-behind win. In short, we saw the blueprint for the next 10 years of Texas football. All the pressure was on the QB's shoulders. OL play was spotty.

What was fascinating was the following year when we got blown out by OU, 63-14, Mack's first real crisis as Texas' coach. The following game, we beat Colorado and started an undefeated run to end the regular season. This was Mack's comment on the radio: "We went back to the Ricky offense, which we thought was more effective than the other."
    That was an absolute refutation of Greg Davis's pre-1999 statement of his plans for the offense.

But it didn't end there, obviously. The tug-of-war over the offensive identity has amazingly carried on for 10 more years, mainly because we had two QBs in VY and Colt who could carry the offense the way Davis' offense demands. We also had a lot of luck along the way.

It seems it has taken Muschamp to finally put teeth into Mack's statement from 10 years ago about going back to the "Ricky offense." As for Davis, you're a nice guy but you need to bring your style of play to a different program. It is simply a waste at a place that gets the talent that Texas does.

4. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

Finally!!!!!!!!!!! I have said it a thousand times.....Texas has been a poor blocking team since Mack has been here with the exception of his 1st year, and those were mackovic's guys. They were well coached by Mike Deal. Great line coach. The only thing I can think of is that GD's "scheme" does not allow blocking. When was the last time anybody saw a Texas OL just blow the opponet off the ball, instead of just blowing. Been a long time has'nt it. Thanks to Applewhite, Vince and Colt, we had some great years. They overcame GD and his no blocking "scheme". Get rid of his *** before Gilbert gets killed.

5. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

6. hoopshookem

hoopshookem 100+ Posts

Finnally, Greg Davis is an albatross Mack Brown has chosen to carry around his neck for 13 years. Mack can thank GD for preventing Brown to achieve championship sucess that would have allowed Mack to be mentioned at the same level of respext as DKR.

I sincerely agree with an okie's comments on the blog, Recruitocosm, that broke the story of this great news earlier in the week. The okie pointed out if not for Greg Davis as OC at Texas ou would not have won half of the B12 conference championships they have credit for.

It's a fact Mack, time to move to a real OC! [​IMG]

7. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

8. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

Hilarious? Do you remember who won it in 2001?

9. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

You're freaking nuts if you think Applewhite was better than Crouch. I love Major, but he was only a good QB, not great. He was 22-8 at Texas (FYI Simms, has a better win %), Crouch was 35-7 at Nebraska. Major had some school records. Crouch had NCAA records and was one of the best option QBs to play college football. He may not be in the elite of Heisman winners, but he's still in a class above Major. Don't let the homerism from the Major cultists affect your judgement.

And Major didn't save MB's and GD's *** the first two seasons (crazy assertions). Ricky and good coaching made the first two seasons.

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Back to the OP, Randy Riggs says GD resigns today. For what it's worth.