Do #33 a favor

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by JohnnyBravo, Oct 12, 2013.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

And move him to DE. Know way will he make it to the pros as a LB.

Like Whaley moving from RB to DT this guy has the body and speed to play at 280. I think he could handle just rushing at DE with the only blocker being a Tackle or RB.

This is about future employment cause he has none at his current position.

2. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I am glad you have a constructive suggestion. Everyone I know who pays any attention to #33 observes over and over that he is not in a position where he can succeed--on almost any play whatsoever. So, let's try DE.

3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

After disagreeing with the critical analysis of Edmonds over the past year (in denial, because I like him and loved the way he played special teams as a freshman) I am now in agreement that he needs to be moved to a new position. Let him bulk up and play tackle or end.

He doesn't use what speed he has to pursue effectively from the LB position, and he seems unable to tackle effectively with force at the point of contact.

I don't know what happened. I thought he would be an *** kicking LB, but it just isn't happening. I want to see him succeed at a high level. Maybe D line is the place.

4. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I agree with this suggestion. [​IMG]

5. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

He has been a statue at LB. Put him where he can help the team and himself.

6. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

7. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Interesting idea. Perhaps alleviating him of the multifaceted responsibilities of LB would be beneficial. Not that DE doesn't have it's demands, but at least the coverage part wouldn't come into play as much. He could probably put on about 20 lbs pretty easily, but he's almost big enough to play DE now.

8. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Seems he has the same body size as #19 Stryker? has for OU. He seems to have speed and size maybe he could get his motor running at that level as well and play rush end lining up whatever side of ball is needed.

9. jlslayt

jlslayt 100+ Posts

Our linebackers do not play down hill very often, they are almost always moving laterally, either they are not reacting quick enough, or its schematic. Good linebackers are at their best when they are attacking down hill.

10. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Watching his propensity to avoid hitting or being hit, I can't see him doing the team or himself any good at DE either.

We've discussed this since the Sunday after the BYU game. Nothing is going to change with him.

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

12. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

I think his best position is on the bench. Those who don't want to hit shouldn't be on the field

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Robinson's got this **** [​IMG]
    I do miss the days when everyone was screaming for Edmond to play [​IMG]

14. snotrocket

snotrocket 100+ Posts

Not to kick this poor guy to much but go back and watch what he does on ou's lone offensive touchdown.

Poor angle. Takes himself totally out of the play and he was unblocked. A total headscratcher.

He is out of position. period.

15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I don't think he avoids hitting as much as people think. I've been critical of him, but he had some good plays on Saturday agianst ou. One that stands out was a third down ou had late in the third quarter. Bell scrambled but came up short. Edmond had fought off a block, went to the ground, bounced up quickly and assisted on the stop, with a pretty good hit.

It looked like bell would easily pick up the first down, but the D, including 33, quickly converged. [​IMG]

16. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

He may be the slowest linebacker in the history of life.

I think he'd still be slow at DE.

17. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

18. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

I nominate this for most absent minded post of the year. When is the last time anyone saw a middle linebacker switched to Defense End? Yea, our defense hasn't been the best, but to make it seem like it's Steve Edmond's fault (he does have a name you know) is just silly. I've seen as many tackles missed from our DB's , D line and linebackers collectively. If you want to talk about bad angles, then I guess most the defense should switch positions.... While we're at it, lets move MJ McFarland to Safety.... [​IMG]

Fact is Greg Robinson has really improved our LB play. As a whole they played a lot better than they did in the first two losses. Edmond is finally learning from a legit Defensive Coordinator, and he has the tools (size and speed) to really be good. Time will tell how good he can be.

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He also batted a pass down against OU.

20. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

21. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

22. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

Yes, I read your post. Fact is, I care about how he plays in college. I really don't care how he is as a pro. Using your logic, we probably should see what Phillips can do at LB. Because he sure aint going to the pros at safety. Mack will never switch a player without it being truly beneficial to the team. Again, Edmond wasn't the sole problem on defense. And now that he's getting better coaching, we will see how he responds. The coaches keep trotting him out there, so maybe they know more about his contributions than the average fan.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

24. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

25. Texodie1

Texodie1 25+ Posts

I watched this kid in high school. He played at Daingerfield....one of the better 2A schools in Texas, but a 2A school nonetheless. They had a bunch of big athletic kids that looked more like a 4A school. There defense was to bring everybody, every play. They would leave receivers open because they were bringing everybody, but they got to the QB so quick he never could find them. A little dump pass to RB in the flat would have gone for days, but offenses never did it. Their stats were like crazy for tackles made behind the LOS. I said at the time....great looking kid, but I just didn't think he could play at Texas or what I thought Texas defenders should be based on 49 years of watching them. So I guess where I am going with this is there was never any technique, reads or anything like that in high school. Alot of times now he just runs up in a hole (usually the wrong one). I don't know if he is trying to guess or scared of contact or what, but just not real effective. To teach him all he needs to know to succeed at this level is going to take some time......if it ever happens. Probably a great kid and would be good going down on kickoffs and busting the wedge, but not for sure he is ever going to be what we want as a starting LBer. For what it's worth.

26. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

I just think he has bad instincts. Bad "football IQ" as Rod Babers says on his show. He anticipates wrong so he's out of position or leaning the wrong way and doesn't have the body control to recover and so he sometimes looks like he's avoiding contact. That being said, he still plays so that tells me he's better than the people behind him.

27. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

28. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

29. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

30. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

In reply to: