Do we realize how good we've got it?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by horndfl, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Smilin' Jack

Smilin' Jack < 25 Posts

TOP TEN! TOP TEN! TOP TEN!......

First time in seventeen years(if we BEAT WASHINGTON
    ).

2. lawdog13

lawdog13 First Time Poster

dfl, i was having the same discussion tonight with a friend about those amongst our fan base who just don't get it. By and large they seem to be the ones who either (a) attended their first game of the season at the cocktail party at Texas stadium, (b) have way too much emotionally invested in the Major vs. Chris debate, and/or (c) remain indulged in Francophilian notions of greatness long after the departure of Napoleon/St. Darrell. More than anything else at this point, our team needs to finish the season with a win and a spot amongst the very best teams in the country for the first time in nearly twenty years. The idiots have left the bandwagon. Your audience here, the ones who have been supportive from start to finish, need to pull back together, put away philosophical questions about which quarterback would have done what, and find their way out to California in a couple of weeks to help a great bunch of kids finish the season off right and project us into next year without all the negatives. After last week, it's not going to be fashionable to go West, but I expect it to be damn rewarding. Great post.

3. kev

kev 25+ Posts

...and it's only going to get better.

4. java

java 100+ Posts

I believe you've got 'It'.

ps: Should we explain that to Joe Fan?

5. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy 25+ Posts

I read this post this afternoon, but purposefully did not add a "Great post!" because I knew this would happen. dfl's head is going to explode.

6. Gus McCrea

Gus McCrea 25+ Posts

Very nice post.

7. eggroll

eggroll 25+ Posts

Get out of my head. Quit saying what I think I thought.

Excellent post.

8. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

How the hell did kchorn get a hold of horndfl's password? [​IMG]

Seriously, I was pretty much over the loss as soon as I got to my car from the stadium. I am into football for entertainment and these guys gave me a hell of a year of entertainment. The way they fought back and made that championship game such an exciting game was satisfying to me. To see the effort these guys are putting on out there makes it all alright for me.

9. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Thank you and great post. I copied your post and sent it to several Joe Fans that have really rubbed me the wrong way. I am so tired of bandwagon fans who barely watch any UT football and go off when we lose. I hope they read the whole thing and realize that we're talking about them.

10. Vic

Vic 25+ Posts

i just have to think back when we were 4-7 and then i just smile [​IMG]

11. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

As Jim Rome would say, that was a good take.

12. domedriver

domedriver < 25 Posts

I was at the game, and I was proud of our TEAM. I went out of my way to congradulate CU fans, but my heart still burnt with pride for our players.

It takes getting close, getting kicked in the teeth, coming back and getting kicked again before your have "IT"

We now have IT, I am looking forward to SD, and next year!

The top is still ours to be had!
    Domedriver

13. ttt

Great post, horndfl.

14. Fritz

Fritz 500+ Posts

100% violent heated agreement.

15. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Well done as usual dfl. Thanks for bringing some sanity to things.

16. utxjohne

utxjohne Guest

Things are good if you have been around this program for anything longer than 4 years and have something to compare this to. However I still think we should expect nothing but a national championship every year. We many not win it every year but we should be in the picture.

17. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

How did I miss this until it had 42 replies? Excellent. Just excellent.

My frustration with Joe Fan sometimes goes even deeper. I swear I think I made some poor woman cry Monday night at the UT Club. She made the mistake of running into myself and sugarplum, and commenting that she was never going to go to another UT game and was going to sell her season tickets, and that she was tired of the crap that she was hearing from her Sooner and Aggie friends. sugarplum immediately offered to buy her tix and I, in the most sarcastic way possible, told her how much I would love to be an Aggie sitting on an 8-4 program right now or a Sooner who lost to their 28-point underdog rival at home. Damn, how I wish I was one of those and could call up my Longhorns friends to gloat.

I had lunch with a good friend who nearly came to blows with her husband over the weekend as he ranted at the TV. But because she is happy with where the program is headed and wants to continue to buy their season tickets as they have done for years -- she "doesn't remember" UT glory days and "accepts mediocrity". I'm glad she let him live. He did father her children. (And I know him well enough to know he'll cool down).

But, Joe Fan annoys the crap out of me. Joe Fan thinks that his years of apathy are the reason this program is great. Joe Fan "demands excellence". Joe Fan does not "accept mediocrity". Joe Fan demands that we win the conference and the national championship this year, or in two years, or whatever arbitrary date Joe Fans deems is it should happen.

It makes me want to shove my boot in Joe Fans face as he tries to climb up next to me in my posh seat on the front of the bandwagon. Joe Fan does not understand the miles that this wagon has travelled. The hills and the valleys. And the worst is that Joe Fan does not understand the blood and sweat that the folks pulling the wagon (the players and the coaches) have shed the last four years getting us where we can even see the summit, and that there is still work for them ahead. I'd get off and help push if I could. Go ahead and get off, Joe. You'll make it a lighter load for those doing the work.

18. State of the Horns

State of the Horns < 25 Posts

19. KeepRC

KeepRC Guest

Fantastic post. You got it right. This was an excellent season, and things are only getting better. We will be in the hunt for the MNC every year.
    Joe Fan needs to grow up. They are life's losers who were looking to hitch a ride on a winner. Hopefully they will not renew their season tickets (if they had any).

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Where is the love for Joe Fan?

Hate to let you down but I aint "fighting mad."

I just finished networking my house with RJ-45 wire, have a router in the attick and two computers running DSL simulataneously without RoadRunner's knowledge. So, I'm pretty psyched!

Speaking on behalf of myself and perhaps a few other Joe Fan's out there -- I am very satisfied with the season. It's been a long time since we finished the season in the top 10 and I think we will mash UDub to assure that accomplishment. I love our coach and QB(s) and despise the booing. Just hate it. I hate it worse than the loss to CU.

So count Joe Fan among the blissful.

------

21. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

Checking the ole record book,,there have been 2 other 4 year periods of at least 9 wins in UT history,,,never a 5 year period
    the thought of Brown 5 straight years of 9 wins would be best in UT history, and shows what he has done. Note the others were either sprinkled w/ NC's or near misses. To complain at this point would be a lack of knowledge about this program. While UT has a great history, Brown has the current group in a place where UT football has only been 2-3 times ever. That is saying alot. Enjoy it.

22. echeese

echeese 25+ Posts

Great thread.

Thanks DFL

23. Kosciousko

Kosciousko < 25 Posts

Great post.

This deserves to stay at the top.

24. Hooked

Hooked 25+ Posts

Outstanding post -- my thoughts exactly and then some.

25. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

Sorry, Joe Fan. Nuthin' personal. I could have said "superfan" but there's probably one of those too. [​IMG]

26. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

No way this thread spends the weekend on page two.

ttt

27. MDhornfan

MDhornfan < 25 Posts

I love this post. As a UT fan living in MD, I am frequently making the same points about MD basketball. Using the same analogy MD went 10-1, had no chance (rightfully so) to play in the Rose Bowl and everyone around here wants to annoit Friedgen as god.

Just remember there are about 110 (out of 115 D1) programs that would kill to be where UT is.

28. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I agree with you 100%
    but I also know how it feels to wait for the last 30 years to win the Mnc while lesser schools like Miami get kids to their campus by having come here get a bag of crack free policy or Jokelahoma where if you have a crime record you can play or any one of a dozen schools who dont care about their students as anything but a steroid lab rat like at Nebraska.
    Texas is the best school because of the values it instills in players, Texas does not want field hands brought in just to play football they want to give a young man pride to hold his fingers in the air as the eyes of Texas plays and say
    yes I am a longhorn yes I am from Texas and I am dam proud of it.

29. MinnesotaHorn

MinnesotaHorn 25+ Posts

30. MinnesotaHorn

MinnesotaHorn 25+ Posts