Dodds confident downturn won't last

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BigEarlinBastrop, May 31, 2012.

1. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

Pretty much same Longhorn sports bashing with final quote from Dodds in support of coaches.Chronicle

2. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Pretty much the truth. Let's hope we get it turned around next year.

3. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

There again what do you want him to say? The coaches suck and we need a change?

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I don't really see it as bashing, just telling it like it is.

5. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

See: Longhorn pendulum effect

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

The downturn in basketball can be directly attributed to Drew's dubious recruiting tactics. I don't know enough about baseball recruiting but it seems like we need to oversign and just assume that a large number of top recruits are going to go straight to the minors. Our major women's sports is where we have a real problem with coaching but even if they did well most students wouldn't care.

7. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

8. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

9. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

10. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

That is part of the problem. However I do have questions about his ability to game plan around good teams in the tournament. About his ability to diagram set plays after time outs. To me he is a good coach, and I really like him, but he just isn't a great coach. Perhaps I will be proven wrong.

11. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

#10 25+ Posts

I am also in the camp that thinks Barnes has peaked. Great recruiter, but only a good coach.

13. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

How about, here at Texas we have a higher standard and that includes contending not only for conference titles but for national titles. We need to do better.

I agree with you and im sure that is what he's thinking but he's always going to be a sunshine pumper it comes with the job..

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

15. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Texas should seek excellence at all levels in the AD. Dodds and Plonsky appear to be willing to accept much less than that in too many sports. Also, Dodds needs to be reminded that viewers don't want to watch losers, assuming the LHN is even available.

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The issue on the women's side is Plonsky. She seems to be in over her head in athletics as well in her position as point person in the AD for LHN.

On the men's side Mack seemingly has refloated the football boat; Barns may not be the best BB coach in the country, but he is by far the best at Texas. After several years of relying strictly on the one-and-dones he seems to have realized that there will be no Sweet-16's or better on that formula. Love Auggie to death but there have been issues within the baseball program for several years now. Changes need to be made sooner rather than later.