Dodds says it's goodbye to AM...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by accuratehorn, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

2. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

3. LOBO

LOBO 25+ Posts

4. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

5. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

I never did understand why aggy thinks everything started after scholarship limitations. Did they have scholarship limitations but we did not? They sound like baylor.

6. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

"Texas simply laughs at you..." [​IMG]

7. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

You know, I'd love to see the series continued. I really enjoyed the Texas & A&M game and the trash talking with friends and coworkers that came with it.

But the cheap high many of you ags are getting from thinking you are damaging Texas in some way is silly. Your only tangible value to us was as a conference member that provided stability to the Big 12. There is fan tradition, but we've never really valued that, especially in relation to you guys. If anyone is truly damaged by this, it will be your fan base with the loss of yet another tradition that you hold so dear -- first the bonfire and now the Texas game. What do you ags have left? Don't answer that, I am not sure I want to know.

We'll wrinkle an eyebrow while sipping our tea, spend a couple minutes discussing the event and reminiscing about the rivalry that was, then shrug and turn our attention back to making the next trillion in athletic revenue.

8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Let's make it simple:

Did all the the Big 12 schools agree to share the Tier 1 revenues equally? If the answer is no then did A&M get a larger share than any other school. If so why are they mad?

Did all the Big 12 schools agree to share the Tier 2 revenues equally? I think the answer is yes so where's A&M's *****?

Did all the Big 12 schools agree to allow each school to develop their Tier 3 revenues independently and also keep 100% of this revenue? Did A&M agree to this? If so, where is the *****?

9. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

All those bringing facts to this argument with aggy must realize what an exercise in futility that effort is.

No amount of fact will change the imagined superiority by aggy when he has limited success, it is not new in his history.

This just as his self imposed code about lie, cheat, or steal means nothing when such an act in his opinion is needed to win a game or conversation. In fact for some that creed is only applicable to others.

aggy will only ever except his own twisted version of reality, it probably is the only way he can live with himself for being associated with such a group.

10. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Diatribes like aggressor's remind me of an old lawyer's adage:

"When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When the law is on your side, argue the law. And when you don’t have either the law or the facts on your side, pound the table!"

Keep pounding that table, aggressor.

11. It Hurts

It Hurts 100+ Posts

"A&M is a Tier 1 School and a member of the AAU"

It doesn’t matter what tier you think you are or what league you play in, you will still be that same old laughed at team stuck in the 50’s’s grabbing your nuts and parading your MALE cheerleaders around in their tightey whiteys on National TV. Good luck with the SEC!

12. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Aggy - go away.

You're annoying.

13. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

I predict that in 4 out of the next 7 years BYU (or whoever replaces aggy) will have a better w/l record than the aggroids.

14. rfeem

rfeem 25+ Posts

"Whenever you are done with your temper tantrum A&M will be ready to play you anytime, anywhere."

Except of course, in the context of a long-standing conference affiliation. This is really so simple that even an Aggie can understand it, if expressed with the proper analogy.

A sheep that decides that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and thus crosses the fence, has no right to graze on the original pasture.

I for one would like for the series to continue. But if it doesn't, it will lay squarely at the feet of a&m, and no one else.

15. aggressor

aggressor 100+ Posts

Texas is 45 and A&M is 58 on that list or 13 vs 19 for Public Universities. Hardly a massive gap and certainly "comparable".

A&M also didn't break any contracts. The only contract they have is the Big 12 Charter and they have followed the exit provisions of that contract fully. There is no contract between A&M and the other schools and there was no new contract signed last Summer. There were only changes agreed to in B12 policy. A&M has done nothing remotely dishonorable in this.

Aggies also aren't "obsessed" with Texas. Many Aggies don't want to continue the series either and the rest are willing to accept it for the opportunity to play in the SEC. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be great to continue it however. It's a good thing for both schools and the State of Texas as a whole. Life will go on though. Personally my main reason for wanting it to continue is I live in Austin and have a lot of Texas friends and neighbors. If I were willing to sell my 7 tickets to the game this year to the highest bidder I could probably buy a car with it when all is said and done but keep telling yourselves no one cares about the game.

BTW, the funny thing that has been lost in the re-alignment stuff is A&M is actually the only B12 team that could get a BCS conference invitation. Texas certainly can get one but only if you drop the LHN or neuter it into irrelevance. OU got a reality check from the Big 1G and Pac 12 and the SEC has no interest. Mizzou is running around talking about an SEC invite that doesn't exist and is going to close that door permanently if they don't shut up. Everyone else is completely on the outside looking in.

16. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

Do you really think its YOU that the SEC wants?

17. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

******************************************************************************************************************
    A&M is actually the only B12 team that could get a BCS conference invitation. Texas certainly can get one but only if you drop the LHN or neuter it into irrelevance.
    ******************************************************************************************************************

a$m is the crack ***** of the B12. It has no standards of morality or honor and is more than willing to drop it's panties and be the easy lay of the SUC.

The University of Texas and OU have standards that have to be met to go to another conference. Like the pretty girl who won't go out with the toothless hick from Arkansas or Mississippi while the aforementioned crack ho is more than willing to polish his knob.

If the PAC has a problem with the LHN, it is their problem. The issues regarding the Network will work themselves out to the satisfaction of everyone but aggy. Picking a conference affiliation will not be a problem.

Prediction: In a couple of years aggy will launch their own network (along with 20 or so other schools) in the shiny new production facilities that $Bill was bragging about and they will rationalize the hypocricy away. Just like always. [​IMG]

18. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

19. rfeem

rfeem 25+ Posts

----------------------------
    "BTW, the funny thing that has been lost in the re-alignment stuff is A&M is actually the only B12 team that could get a BCS conference invitation. Texas certainly can get one but only if you drop the LHN or neuter it into irrelevance."
    --------------------------------------------

This is patently absurd. Texas could be in the SEC tomorrow, no this afternoon, WITH the LHN. Just as is the case in the Big XII, the SEC does not share third tier rights.

Look, we get it -- you want the SEC, and the SEC appears to want you as well (although not without a waiver!). Everyone wants to go where they are wanted. Because of that, you are willing to walk away from 116 years with Texas, 107 years with Baylor, and 67 years with Tech. For a school that prides itself on "tradition" that's a little hard to fathom.

Maybe this will all work out for the Ags, but frankly sometimes that worst thing that can happen is to get exactly what you ask for. Well you now have it (as soon as you get those waivers!), but personally I'm of the view that most Ags will soon realize that they have given up far more than they have gained.

20. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

In simple terms, with the exception of those years when we have mostly sucked (late 80s/early 90s), I have regarded the A&M game as one of those games where winning is no great achievement and losing is embarrasing. Often the Horns have played with little enthusiasm in the game. See Vince in 2005. Not playing this game just doesn't bother me much at all -- especially, as noted above, when it might free up an opportunity to play a team with some history of winning.

21. Varsity Forever

Varsity Forever 100+ Posts

No doubt about it, we absolutely, positively have to beat the farmers at their ******** this year. It will be an absolutely historic game, scoreboard for all eternity. Leave it all out on the field (and elsewhere if we win and the farmers get violent again).

Crazy horse said, "It's a good day to fight. It's a great day to die."

22. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

In reply to:

23. aggressor

aggressor 100+ Posts

Interesting analogy.

A&M had offers from both the Pac 12 and SEC last year, they came to us. When A&M decided it wanted to make a move it contacted the SEC and is now going there.

Texas wanted to go to the Pac 12 last year but couldn't get A&M to go along so they decided to keep the Big 12 together. In the last month Texas has had conversations with virtually every conference outside of the Sun Belt about leaving but can't get anyone to come to terms on the LHN. Fortunately for Texas, OU overplayed it's value and got shut out trying to leave for either the Big 1G or Pac 12 by themselves so they are stuck with staying in the Big 12, I mean 10, I mean 9.

Yet A&M is the crack *****?

suk,

Not sure exactly what you mean, are you talking about the TV markets A&M brings? Well of course that is a big reason they want us as it is for Texas and every other school. Without the TV markets there is no money. A&M is wanted by the SEC and likely any of the other BCS conferences because only A&M and Texas can realistically give a conference a significant portion of the massive TV markets in Texas. Of course A&M has a Top 10 Football team at the moment, 50k students, 360k alumni, top notch facilities that are about to get a lot better including a large stadium that is completely sold out for this season, an endowment twice the size of any school in the SEC and 6 times the size of the second largest in the SEC, AAU membership, and a dedicated traveling fanbase. For the SEC we also make sense geographically and fit culturally well with the Land Grant schools that tend to be rich in tradition, pro military, and somewhat conservative. Of the schools not already members of the Big 3 BCS Conferences A&M is probably the 3rd most attractive (behind ND and Texas) but has the least baggage in terms of demands. BTW, it is now crystal clear to Tech, Baylor, OU, and OSU that they all need you but you can't take them all with you. With A&M gone they are your problem now. You could maybe argue North Carolina is more valuable but we bring more TV sets, more alumni, and better football and NC will have a very hard time extracting itself from the other 3 ACC members in its state.

Back to the original point though. Have fun playing Tech as your "rival" at the end of the season. They've never actually won an outright title in the SWC or Big 12 but maybe someday they can be relevant, it's only been 50 years. Maybe you can even convince them to be on the LHN since they are such a ***** anyway. Or you could play Baylor. After all at least Baylor has won some SWC titles long ago and they spanked you at home last year. Maybe they could even take down the tarp! ND is out. The SEC is out. All the relevant teams from the Big 1G and Pac 12 are out as they have rivals.

Here are A&M's options if you don't let us "bask in your glow". One nice thing about the SEC West is that the LSU/Arkie rivalry is contrived and has little history so it's on the table for adjusment. LSU. Been playing them since the 1800's, only a few years less than Texas. It's going to be our biggest SEC West game as it is. Arkansas. A&M already has a great contract at Jerry World with Arkie and we have played them 67 times starting just after 1900. In fact, wouldn't it be cool to have A&M/Arkie as a double header at Texas Stadium? Pretty sure Jerry Jones will be just fine with that. Or A&M could play Oklahoma. Loftin and Boren have become very close through all of this and it has been confirmed that OU offered A&M to replace the RRR in Dallas if they couldn't find a way to play nice with you guys. Not much of a stretch to get them to play us on Thanksgiving.

I'd still rather play Texas but we're going to be fine.

24. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

This is the part of the thread where we all realize we don't play A&M anymore, we're not rivals with A&M anymore, it doesn't matter what they think, and then we don't pay attention to them.

25. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

they remind me of a kid in the school yard who runs away while bragging how tough he is. [​IMG]

26. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

27. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

Two main problems:

1. All of UT OOC games are already under contract for the next 8 years. Even if UT wanted to break those agreements to accomodate aTm -- and most non-Aggies actually have moral qualms about breaking agreements they signed in good faith and causing other schools problems -- there is still the sticky issue of buy-out payments. I supect aTm would balk at paying the millions UT will owe to get out of those contracts, and asking UT to eat those costs in order to make aTm's SEC decision free from downside seems a little presumptuous.

2. Continuing the rivalry benefits aTm (and the SEC) more than UT (and the Big 12, or wherever we are). aTm values the rivalry more than we do, and that guarantees them a big game in Texas every year, which will help them in recruiting. It won't help our recruiting at all, and we still have another, bigger rivalry game that will satisfy that need for us. aTm will lose a lot of its traditions as well. Given that their leaving is causing the conference significant turmoil, and playing the game helps them more than us, we'd be doing it for some reason other than self interest.

All of that said, I'd still like to see the game be played, if only because its more fun and exciting than most of the games we will be playing in the crappy conference we are now apparently stuck with. If aTm will agree to pay our buyouts, I'd be inclined to continue the game. If they are not, it would be nice if their big-wigs would stfu about it being our fault that the rivalry ends. No one made them breach a 10 year deal they signed just last year, and if they won't pay our buyouts they have no cause to complain.

28. aggressor

aggressor 100+ Posts

Hu,

The problem with your analogy is it leaves out one very important detail. The Big 12 is not going to survive. It is a dead man walking. This is not because of A&M. The Big 12 was dealt a near fatal blow with Nebraska and Colorado leaving last year. Texas at that time decided it wanted to blow it all up and go to the Pac 12 but A&M wouldn't play ball and so the B12 was put back together with duct tape. For several reasons, the details of the LHN contract and how far it went toward harming competition in the Big 12 being primary, that was enough for A&M to decide it needed to take the offer of long term stability the SEC provides. Baylor cannot be saved. Tech may be saved but it's not a certainty. Texas will be fine in the end of course though not nearly as powerful as they were dominating the B12. The idea that the B12 is going to survive is just a fantasy though, no sane person believes it, and A&M staying or going wasn't going to do anything but possibly change the timeline a bit. A Conference with no trust and several members that want out cannot survive.

BTW I seriously doubt A&M plays Baylor in anything for a generation. They have relied on us to fill their stands in Waco for decades and they bring nothing to the table outside of Women's basketball. Tech isn't much better. A&M beat Tech in every single sport they played in last year, all 18. They are an academic joke. Any affection that we may have had for them ended when they allowed a riot in their stadium and threw a goalpost in the visiting section with their administration taking no responsibility. My 75 year old father had a 19 year old kid try to start a fight with him. Screw them.

29. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Proposal:

Treat aggy posters like trolls until next March. Don't reply to any of their posts that pertain to college athletics. Treat the posts like a cancer and let the tumor die where it sits. Don't feed it.

These guys clearly like the attention. Like Goose said above, this all a reminder why we won't miss them. I won't.

[​IMG]

30. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts