Dodds speaks about LHN

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BigEarlinBastrop, May 11, 2012.

1. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

3. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

whatever! [​IMG]

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

on target.

5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If the strategy was making $300 million, it was a success. however, if the strategy was viewers and ultimately more exposure and more money than the $300 million, total failure so far.

From the article, this Year's strategy is no different - up to three games with be televised exclusively on LHN. This will lead to no new major carriers.

Why did they not entice one or more major carriers with first year incentives to gain momentum, then negotiate after demand was in place and in use?

6. SHS1984

SHS1984 250+ Posts

Dodds and ESPN have a ****** plan.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Dodds has nothing to do with what ESPN does in their marketing. He wants it on your television in your house as much if not more than you do if for no other reason than to shut peoples pie holes up.

I am sure that whatever, if any, leverage or pull he has with ESPN he has tried to use. Some make it seem like he wakes up in the morning and goes to bed at night without ever giving thought to this matter and wishing it was resolved or played out differently.

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

9. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"UT signed a contract and they certainly had their chance to put in their stipulations."

There's no way Texas would be able to stipulate "ESPN must carry the network on at least three cable providers and one satellite provider" because there is no way to gauge whether those providers (third parties outside the contract) could even pay for it. That's like saying "I produce microwaves and you sell the microwaves... now the people only have to buy the microwaves and everyone will be happy."

11. Whiterock Horn

Whiterock Horn 1,000+ Posts

I fully expect to not see any games on LHN this fall. Yea LHN! Yea U-verse!

12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

13. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

14. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I wonder who is Dodds' carrier. Do you think he gets the LHN?

15. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

I live in the same area as DeLoss and neither Grande nor FIOS is available, so no he does not get the LHN.

16. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

The problem isn't us loyal alums, the problem is the Tshirt fans who go to the mall and buy hats and Tshirts. They may not buy the merchandise if they don't see the team play on a given Saturday. Exposure is part of what we bargained for, but we are getting less now than before. And yes, we do care about the Tshirt people because their money spends the same as our's.

17. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

In reply to:

18. Bruthaman

Bruthaman 250+ Posts

My Sooners deal with Fox isnt going to make the money your network will, but it gaurantees we wont miss a game, even if its against no-name university.

When will ESPN come down on the price they are asking? That might help you guys out.

19. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

20. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

Bottom line is this deal should have never been inked in the first place without knowing ahead of time that the ones who have the most interest in it - THE FANS - would actually be able to see the damn thing once in a while. Complete failure so far. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

22. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

23. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

The question is (given an either/or choice) whether it's worse for the University to get forgo $15 million per year from ESPN, or to have thousands of unhappy alumni who can't watch Tier3 football games on TV at home.

Unless these thousands of unhappy fans translate into $15 million per year in lost donations or merchandise sales, the University is better off (at least financially) with the LHN.

Of course, once all the cable carriers pick it up, then everybody wins and it's party time... ain't no party like a Longhorn party cause a Longhorn party don't stop...

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

26. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

"There's no way Texas would be able to stipulate "ESPN must carry the network on at least three cable providers and one satellite provider" because there is no way to gauge whether those providers (third parties outside the contract) could even pay for it. That's like saying "I produce microwaves and you sell the microwaves... now the people only have to buy the microwaves and everyone will be happy.""

That's not the issue. The issue is similar to that with unions. Texas may have negotiated "too good" of a deal. Some auto union workers negotiated too big of a salary with benefits, so that the car company could no longer afford employing them or making those cars. Texas got so much money from ESPN in this contract that the price needed by ESPN from the cable companies is too high.

If Texas had only negotiated $200MM for example, maybe this thing is already being distributed.

I make no judgment (in this post) about which goal (money or exposure) was more important.

27. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

28. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

29. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Dodds is balancing the $ and the future against the current annoyance. ESPN is eventually going to get this thing on a satellite and cable provider and when it does we will all marvel at it because what little I have seen the production is incredible and the network is phenomenal. It means though a year or two of carriage wars and while it may suck now, in the end Texas will be able to get its cake and eat it too. The pressure needs to be brought on the carriers not on the University.

30. Number1HornFan

Number1HornFan 25+ Posts

1leggedduck,

I am not sure what you intended to say on your post but you come across as very arrogant.

Do you think that only “alums” can be loyal to a team?
    Do you think that “loyal alums” are some how better than “Tshirt fans”?
    Why can’t we all be fans without your ranking system?
    Do you think that all “alums” are loyal to Texas?

I don’t care where you went to school or what your level of education is. These things have nothing to do with your worth as a fan or anything else. Maybe you should care about “Tshirt people” because you are no better than them. Maybe you should care about them because they are people and they deserve the same amount of respect as anyone else. Based on your comment they deserve more in my book.

Again, I am not sure of your intent and maybe your words just struck me the wrong way this morning but I have no patience for anyone that thinks they are better than anyone else because of education or money. Please know that I keep using the word education because I don’t think you are smarter just because you had the means to go to college and the dedication to finish.

Stay classy 1leggedduck.

Long Live The Chupacabra