Does our difficult stretch work to our advantage?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Steel Shank, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

At the beginning of the year, we looked at this stretch of games thinking it would take a miracle to get through it without a loss. Now, looking at the team, does having difficult games back-to-back-to-back actually help this young team stay focused?

It might actually be a blessing in disguise.

BiS?

2. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Either that, or it destroys us. We'll have to wait to find out which it will be. [​IMG]

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Only if we win them.

4. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I would hope it definitely helps out SOS in the computer rankings. Even if we lose a game, this will help us stay up at the top of the BCS rankings and maybe back our way into a championship game.

5. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I think it is good. We have to focus every week. Ther is no looking ahead.

Baylor or KU may be a problem though. [​IMG]

6. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Haven't you been listening? There is no way Texas will be able to beat OU, MU, TTU, TT and KU, blah, blah, blah,yada, yada, yada.......... I thought after beating OU, the media would stop this incessant ********, but it continues. It seems they have forgotten that we play OU,OSU, and TTU every year. The difference this year is that we have KU and MU instead of, say, NU,ISU, or KSU. Hell, KSU is the team that seems to have our number. If we beat MU without any major injuries, then we have a good shot at running the table. Alabama may have it easier than everyone thought, now that the Les effect is taking hold at LSU, but surely that offense will get exposed before the end of the season.

7. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

I think playing ark the next 7 straight would help our chances better

8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Posting this must have made SS hungry for a sammich.

Yes, I actually think the difficult games back to back may sharpen this team because they will have to be focused and on their game to win. This tough stretch could be very valuable playing in the CC and any bowl game.

9. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

10. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

BiS posted that he is unable to post this week - I think he's in a conference or something like that. He did, however, say he was going to the Mizzou game - the idea of all that focusness pouring from the stands should have the tigers turning to butter around the base of a palm tree.

11. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

12. borninaustin

borninaustin 100+ Posts

I probably will be nervous about every game we play from here on out, regardless of who we're playing.

Hell, if the Ags can beat us the last two years with the crappy team they've had, anything can happen.

By the way, I doubt the team feels the way I do. My sense is that this team has what it takes to live with the prosperity it has achieved to this point.

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Remember that our SOS is going to go down as we start beating each other up in conference. We beat Mizzou and they lose one more game that is 3 losses, not much help to SOS. Another team beats OU, SOS declines.

It is too early to be discussing SOS, it is not until the final BCS poll or next to last where that even makes a difference, or you can tell how tough ones schedule. We beat number one, if they lose the next 4 games, I wouldn't consider us having beat the number 1 team in the nation.

14. IB ROC N

IB ROC N 100+ Posts

It don't make a ****. Bring 'em all on and let the Almighty sort 'em out.

By God, we're TEXAS! [​IMG]

15. NRH_Horn

NRH_Horn 25+ Posts

I thought Steel Shank only made statements (in third person) not asked questions.

16. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Ditto, IB ROC IN. It don't make a ****. [​IMG]

17. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

Focusness is good.

18. fore!

fore! 25+ Posts

I agree. After going through a game that couldn't have more exciting for these guys. This reminds them of why they came to Texas; to play in BIG games.

The rest of our schedule is loaded with BIG games. Opportunities!

I don't see a let down. We may slip. But we won't have a let down. This team has a special aura about it. Its not about showing up and winning. Its about mudholing the opposition into the ground again and again until we have 52 points or until the game is over.

19. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

It was rhetorical. [​IMG]

20. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i think having a couple in a row can be great for a team. but you guys have ou, mu, tt, osu. that is a brutal stretch. there is no advantage to playing a pretty damn good team EVERY week. it will be something to brag about if you win though..... and deservedly so.

21. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

wish we could perform a mid season schedule change, take out this mizzou or that kansas game and replace them with iowa state [​IMG]. We'd still be #1 in the BCS if we win out.

22. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

i think having a couple in a row can be great for a team. but you guys have ou, mu, tt, osu. that is a brutal stretch. there is no advantage to playing a pretty damn good team EVERY week. it will be something to brag about if you win though..... and deservedly so.
    Think of the expierence our secondary is getting lol..

23. BRay2244

BRay2244 500+ Posts

"WHAT DON'T KILL YA MAKES YA MORE STRONG"...{metallica}

24. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

{Ahem} TTT.

To be the best, you got to beat the best.

We have the highest BCS ranking since the new formula started in 2004.

25. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

if you do it, it will be truly spectacular, particularly because even after TT you have a pretty salty KU team in lawrence. that seems like nothing after this stretch, but even then you have to come with some firepower.

then mizzou again. i know that doesn't seem scary after you assraped them, but they will most likely play much better than that. it is the coolest season i have seen since our 00 season. so many similarities... although i still hope you lose 2 of the next 3. it's a good story and all, but i need graham harrell to win the heisman this week.