Does our record matter?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by orangecat1, Oct 21, 2012.

1. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

we were one play away from losing the game. I'm talking about Bergeron's fumble in the last minute. If Baylor recovers instead of Joe, they score a TD, and win the game.

That puts on pace for a 5-7 season instead of 6-6 or 7-5.

We go to a bowl game, and we get a 2012 style version of the Freedom Bowl Massacre.

We end up with a 6-7 or 7-6 record, do the bigshots care about the coaching situation at that point?

2. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I thought you were going to defend Mack's 5-2 mark to this point and I was going to administer a virtual pimp slap.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

You are what your record says you are. That is the one true constant. If we had any kind of defense at all this could be a 10-11 win team but we don't so this is a 7-8 win team and there is no getting around that, the record will be what the team deserves.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And at 7-9 wins the record will be right in the neighborhood of what most sane people were predicting at the beginning of the year.

So why all the angst and venom? [​IMG]

5. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

SN, do you really have to ask that and are you asking with a straight face? 7-8 wins, which was always the low bar for this team, is looking more and more realistic. 9-10 wins is what most sane people were projecting. And if our O developed (really, Ash), then most sane people were saying 9 wins is on the low end. Well, if I had to guess the collective fanbases's take here, our O has exceeded expectations. But our D is so inexplicably bad that games have become difficult to watch, 8 wins is a stretch, and people are rightfully pissed.

6. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Record not so much.........$$$$$$$$ very much.

7. drborange

drborange 500+ Posts

Yes!

If by some miracle we win out or lose just one more, is there anyone that would not be happy with that record?

Would those wanting Mack to step down still want that?
    [​IMG]

8. Sangre Naranjada

9. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

10. Sangre Naranjada

11. Bronco

Bronco 500+ Posts

12. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think our record matters a lot. Unfortunately, my crystal ball says we lose two more games at least, and maybe three more.

We likely lose two of three against ksu, tcu and ttu. Our defense will simply give up too many points to win two of the three.

That leaves isu and ku. We should beat both, but isu scares me. They are tough and well coached. But we should out score them.

So I think we wind up with 7 or 8 wins. Seven wins is unacceptable and heads (mostly on the defensive side, but the o-line coach will be under serious pressure) should roll. Eight wins and one head should roll. That would Mr. Diaz, imho. Not just because of the record of wins and losses. But that the defense has not gotten better, its worse than ever. Thats on _iaz.

14. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

And the bending over to come to Kansas State yet
    again. A program that beats us on a regular basis with
    half our resources and supposedly half the talent.

Yes, they beat OU this year and they are good to
    great, but they beat us with Snyder or whoever is warming
    his coaching seat for him to he comes back. They beat us
    in Manhattan or Austin it matters not. They beat us with
    a freshman quarterback or Colt McCoy. In summation
    they just beat us over and over again no matter what
    and this year they could go OU on us and score 60 or
    more to our hopefully 17.

15. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

Your original question - does our record matter - to some may sound like a crazy one but it is a valid question. My answer? No it doesn't, because we will not compete for a conference championship or a BCS bowl. I'll make this personal: it doesn't matter to me. And anyone who thinks this team can win 8 or 9 games is delusional.

16. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

Doesn't matter to me either.

17. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

Texas will finish 7-5 and get a bowl bid and Mack Brown will get a pay raise and hand out milk and cookies. That's the norm at Texas now as long as the athletic dept is making millions each year. Its all about the $$$$ and Benjamins the 40 acres is raking in.
    [​IMG]

18. jagdilly69

jagdilly69 100+ Posts

19. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

Leaving the question of whether I like it or not for another time, my prediction is that at the end of the season Mack dismisses _iaz and maybe Searls (sp?) after a 6 or 7 win season. The changes improve things a bit and we either get prison raped by ou or lose a close game to ou, and probably a close one to ksu, but we are back to 9 or 10 wins, no conference championship, and no BCS. Mack sticks around until the next implosion. If that comes in 2 or 3 seasons, maybe he is shown the door. IF it takes 4 or 5 seasons for us to again drop from head of the second group, to middle of the pack, then maybe he retires. I do not see him voluntarily leaving until he is at least 65.

Another possibility is that he hires a really good DC who the cigars fear losing (Muschamp like) and the behind the scenes manuvering results in Mack retiring and turning the reins over to "his" choice of new head coach. That is actually a nice way to end the story.

20. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Lets see, Texas is as relevant as a ham sandwich and Mack needs to go if we ever want to beat ou again; so no, our record doesn't matter at all.

21. Xcalibur

Xcalibur 250+ Posts

We've been one play away from losing a lot of games. The 2004 season,for example, could have just as easily ended up 7-5 as it did 11-1.

22. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

Don't kid yourself, yes, of course records matter. This kind of question only comes up because Texas is no longer in the running for a title--conference or national. Ask a recruit if he'd want to play for a program where the record doesn't matter. [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Sangre for the win.

24. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

orangecat1, you can't look at a win the way you did. The 1963 national championship team was one play away from losing several games that year. But they didn't lose them, they won them. So a win does matter.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The ultimate and everlasting statistic is wins and losses.