Dog training/boarding

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by unpaintedhuffhines, May 11, 2008.

1. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

we are trying to decide between two dog training places and want some input if you've used either...

Canine Hilton (3 wk course, $1300 for both dogs)

Triple Crown (4 wk course, $1900 for both dogs)

both are the types of places where you actually leave your dog for the duration and not a training class we take them to.

2. Blain

Blain 100+ Posts

What kind of training?

3. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

Why not save a thousand bucks and go through an obedience class with your dog? It's a bond (and communication) building experience that you can't get by dropping your dog off and having someone else train for you.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I agree with Whickums on this. You have to go through a class with the boarding places anyways. You need to learn the commands, the prompts and things like that. You will be reminded to be consistent, patient, blah blah blah. The same things you will need if you train the dog.

Remember, it is not training the dog, it is training you. The dog wants to and lives to make you happy. Whatever it is you want them to do. You just need to know how to show them to get the proper reward.

It will take more time and effort but like Whickums said, it is bonding with your animal. You entrench yourself as the alpha and a great friend. The trust and respect will be unmatched.

I think I remember that you travel a **** ton and may not have the time for lessons on a weekly basis. Get a trainer or place that can make appointments for you and your family. Do them at your convenience.

The lesson is important but not near as much as what you do out of class, where the lessons are learned and practiced. Your wife can work with the commands and keep you up to speed when you are home and not checking out bands or bars.

This helps you two communicate and share too. I think the benefits are great all around by not going to place like you suggest. (though I have heard good things about them and I can see their purpose for certain people). Besides, it is not too hard to train a dog or dogs to attack when people steal nuts.

5. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

thanks guys, but we're doing one of the above options for a number of reasons

they have basic obedience, however we want them to have another level of training

anyone had experience with either place?

6. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Given the source I knew there had to be a good reason, advanced would be a good reason. That explains the price as well. I would ask them if you can pop in from time to time with notice and partake in the training regimine. I think they won't be bummed if you are there to learn and not intervene. It will be a refreshing departure from the leave and go types, do it all for me I want my dog perfect type...which you are not.

I used to train dogs but not past basic obedience. My dog was taken to higher levels and I got to watch them do it, amazing what our animals can do.

What type of stuff are you wanting them trained to do? I am curious now. Serious question, no nut references to come, I promise.

8. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

That is pretty expensive training. What kind of dogs do you have. If you have a retriever, you can get hunt training at alot of different places for ~$500/mo. This training includes obedience.

9. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I'm taking my Lab to a place that trains retrievers for $550 a month. She has been through one month of OB work and it is great. She is home now recovering from spay surgery but goes back in a few weeks for more gun dog training.

Let me know if this is what you want.

Ed

10. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

The Link

I also had some questions about this. These guys do a six week course, and would be really convenient for me cause I plan on doing alot of traveling soon.

11. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

This is who I use. He trained at Triple Crown before opening his own place. It was $550 a month last time she was there. Two dogs for $1100 sounds better than your two options.

The Link

12. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

We occasionally board our dog at canine hilton and like it. never been anywhere else, though. I'd never even considered obedience training. Can a dog be trained to not freak out when it thunders? that's the ONLY thing I'd like to change about our 11yr old dog...

13. cehorn

cehorn 25+ Posts

I used Rody Best who was the head retriever trainer at Triple Crown before they stopped doing retriever training. I highly recommend him. He has produced some awesome dogs. His training is also $550 per month.
    The Link