Donovan looking good in Germany

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SyracuseHorn, Jan 20, 2009.

1. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

As a 2nd half substitute, Donovan scores on a header in the 75th minute to put Munich 2-0 over 2nd Bundesliga opponent Kaiserslautern.

How would you like to be a bit tired in the 2nd half and have a fresh Landon Donovan running on your side of the field? Whatever you think of Donovan as a player, his speed, especially with the ball, is world class. I hope he's able to stick at Bayern. At least he's making a good showing so far.

Yanks Abroad story

2. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I was a fan in 2002. Even bought a Donovan replica jersey t-shirt.

I was NOT a fan, especially when he didn't turn towards the goal for a one on the goalie opportunity vs. Ghana.

I'm back on the bandwagon. I think he's decided he can't be a puss forever. I hope he does well.

[​IMG]

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

4. Me So Horny

Me So Horny 100+ Posts

Nice goal, hope he keeps it up. [​IMG]

5. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Only problem is that, if I'm not mistaken, the Bundesliga is in its month-long off period meaning that his goal was in some sort of throw-away friendly.

Not that I'm complaining. Love the guy and can't wait to see him piss of Mexicans...again...on February 11th. [​IMG]

6. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

Yeah, it wasn't a league game or tournament, but he's only got a few months to impress them. Getting off to a good start will help his confidence and may earn him more playing time.

7. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

That game was a friendly against Kaiserslautern, which is currently in B2.

One thing I like is how Landon celebrated. Maybe it's good to be a cockmunch for the home fans and turn a celebration into a 60 second peformance, but he jumped and pumped his fist and then walked back to midfield. Along the way, he slapped the hand of a teammate who congratulated him. Nada mas.

That's very American. Although Dempsey enjoys acting like a cockmunch, and I usually enjoy walking him perform, I really liked Landon's response. In fact, I think I'll watch it again right now.

[​IMG]

8. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

I've always thought Landon was 50% better playing for the USA as opposed to Club. I just think he really likes putting on the National uniform and representing the USA. That being said I really hope his form continues in Germany. While I'll miss having a quality player in the MLS I still think it's good for our players to gain recognition for themselves and for the level of talent that is starting to come out of the USA.

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Bayer Munich played Mainz (B2 leader at midway point) today in a friendly. Once again Landon was a second half sub and once again he kicks some ***.

I didn't see the game, but according to the Big Soccer message board, he was hustling all over the place and then he scored this one to put the team up 3-0 in the ~70th minute.

Landon goal #1: The Link

Then he had the assist on the 4th goal (I think) as well having a goal off of a rebound disallowed because of a very close offsides call. Then Landon does this...

Landon Goal #2: The Link

Right before the whistle in injury time. Kind of a cheap goal, but a goal none-the-less.

Hopefully he can keep it up when the real season starts back up on January 30th.

As long as he hustles, his speed is going to cause major problems coming on late in the game. That will be nice to see.

[​IMG]

10. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

If he continues to be productive, he'll play and gain confidence. I think we know that a motivated Landon Donovan can be a great player. If he really gets his mojo going, he could be a key sub or even an occassional starter there. It's interesting to see him score with his head in Germany. Perhaps his speed and style of play will get him some open looks. It's a physical league, but if they can't catch you, they can't mark you. [​IMG]

By the way, thanks Napoleon for the video links.

11. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, good stuff Napoleon.

Man..Those announcers are the exact opposite of Rob Stone when it comes to excitement level.

12. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I'm not trying to be a Landon groupie or anything, but there's an article with video on Bild's website that features Landon giving an interview in German. He only speaks English, Spanish, and German. Typical US athlete.

[​IMG]
    The Link

PS- I think that it has something to do with him competing with Podolski for the 3rd striker spot.

13. pantone159

pantone159 100+ Posts

That was a cool interview... Now lets see one en Espanol in three weeks or so about how he beat Mexico... again...
    [​IMG]

14. TheUltimateDivas

TheUltimateDivas 25+ Posts

LD with four goals in 5 games. Very nice. As a Galaxy season ticket holder, I'd prefer to watch him play for the home team, but the best thing for USA is for him to transfer to Munich. With Podolski gone they only have two forwards (Toni and Klose), both of whom start. For Donovan to have a chance to be the first sub off the bench for Munich, and maybe start in some cup matches would be huge.

Anyone know if he will be barred from champions league matches? I know a player is cup-tied if they play for someone else in that tourney, not sure about mid-season transfers.

15. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

1) I'm pretty sure that he is available for all competitions. (As is Beckham in Milan.)

2) His first game is tomorrow in a German Cup game against Stuttgart (I believe) and his first Bundesliga game is FRIDAY and it could be on one of the cable/satellite stations. (GolTV?)

3) If the LA Galaxy could sell Donovan and Beckham and get Michael Owen, that would be great for the organization. They've already made their money off of Beckham and Donovan should leave no matter what. Selling Owen jersey's would pay for his coming over and then two years later, they could get rid of him if he doesn't have a career ending injury first.