Don't Believe the Hype...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Dec 30, 2019.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Time to have some fun, guys.
    Utah may be a tad overhyped.
    They could win... Who knows??
    But here's the facts:
    Pac12 is weak with a capital "Eak".
    The 3rd place team in the conference had a 4-8 record.
    Utah Utes opponents regular season combined record for 2919 was 68-76.
    They played 1 ranked opponent. (Arizona State at #16)
    They played 1 team that won more than 7 games (USC at 8-4) and lost that game.
    They also played 1 more in Oregon in Pac12CG and were demolished.
    Their top 5 fpi opponents were #s 16, 23, 32, 44 and 54

Texas combined opponents record was
    86-58.
    They played (at the time) #s 6, 6, 16, and 8 in the country.
    Played 6 opponents with >7 wins, defeating 3
    Top 5 fpi opponents #s 3,14,17,22, and 25.

Go ahead hit that hot button.....

I say we go to bed tonight believin' we will have some fun tomorrow night.
    It's just more fun that way.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If the Texas team that played LSU, oSu and tceh shows up they will comfortably win. Otherwise, it will be a crapshoot.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

We had a sh*tload of injuries on defense. Who will be back and who is still out? Will we have some semblance of the defense we started the season with?

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes we will. Hookem

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I suspect we will see the best defense tomorrow night that we have seen all year. That concerns me. I’m also not pleased that two players have been sent home. That suggests a lack of focus which also concerns me. Then there’s the Ehlinger “checking his NFL status” story. Would have been better if that decision had been made (by Sam, to check) after the bowl game.

I don’t have a warm and fuzzy. Lots of distractions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Please forgive my naiveté, but is getting the hot button a good or bad thing?

• Hot Hot x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

I think we certainly come in with a chip on our shoulder and a lot of built up frustration, much to the dismay of the Utes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Thought I would add to your confusion...

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

What 2 players were sent home?

10. RainH2burntO

Gbenda and Vaughns
    I believe there are some distractions around the team..but do not think this piece of news will prove particularly relevant
    Relevant will be ability to get pressure, ability to run the ball, ability to protect Sam

11. RainH2burntO

I do not see them as the best defense we've seen all year, Duke.
    Our offense was the best defense we saw all year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

No OC, no DC and overall about half a coaching staff with what I think is still several injuries. Forgive me if I sound a little dismayed at someone poking at a top 10 ranked team mostly intact and thinking we'll just show up and suddenly kick ***. I'm not confident at all about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is a surprise as Herman praised these guys for working hard during the season.

14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

That’s true and they probably did work hard, but they sure blew it for whatever stupid reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Not sure about hype but Utah is tough.
    They are well coached and disciplined. They will not beat themselves.
    They have a big elite running back. Good d line, and a physical defense.
    The PAC 12 is similar to the big 12 Imo. They pretty much thumped everyone on their schedule save the loss to SC, and a close one v U dub.
    We will have to play well to win. Also getting a lead early is paramount in this one as Oregon did, it will take them out of their game plan.
    Score over 31 points = win
    Under 31 flip a coin

• Like Like x 2
  16. RainH2burntO

I totally agree Utah is a good, sound team that is well-coached and deserves respect.
    I'm just saying tap the brakes a bit. I think alot of the trepidation around here has (or should have) more to do with the limitations of our team than with how tough Utah is. They are good, but their QB would be an average Big12 QB, they are down two key defensive starters, and they simply have played a weak schedule. Put it on wax. I contend they'd have at least 3-4 losses in the Big12 this year...1 more possibly if they played anyone good out of conference. I think it will be a good game that could go either way, and I won't be shocked if we lose; but I expect our young men to come out loose and free, just playing football, post-coaching shake-up and fresh start...with something to prove. ...And we may be as healthy as we've been in a good while. Totally agree with your comment about taking the early lead and us needing to play well to win. I expect we will (play well).
    :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

Which team is more inspired to play? Is it Utah, playing the nationally known big bad Texas Longhorns, with a chance to beat said team? Or is Texas sick and tired of hearing what an empty suit they are and play with something to prove?
    I'm looking forward to this game because I think it will be a fun game, and I have low expectations, and it doesn't really matter if we win or not. Stress free Texas game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Call me old school, but winning always matters.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Utah will win or lose based on the line of scrimmage. Look at their recruiting over the last 4 years. They get a lot of 4'star players along the LOS but very few in the back 7 or in any hands position.

Our Wr have a huge advantage over their DBs. We have much more speed than they do, but they are going to beat us up, have no doubt about this.

I like our RBs in space on their linebackers as well.

Playing these guys is going to be a lot like playing Nebraska. Their Wrs don't scare me, and neither does their RBs, what scares me is their Oline and their ability to create lanes for their RB and the amount of time they can give their QB.

You guys remember how I bitched about our Dline being too big to get any type of pass rush? Well all that size is going to be very helpful today. I really hope we do run some legit 4 man fronts because it will occupy and neutralize all those big olinemen.

To neutralize their dline, we are going to have to run some Max protect and move the pocket some. This is a good day to not run any QB run plays, these guys will give Ehlinger another concussion, however he will need to scramble a few times to loosen up their Back 7. Duv, Eagles, and CJ should have a field day against these guys. They don't have a lot of size in their secondary. I honestly expect Duv to feast on these guys.

Like I said, this is going to come down to who wins the LOS and I'll throw in the turnover battle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

AB, how many failed bubble screens for Texas? Just once I would hope for a fake BS and a throw to a WR running free as every LB and Safety on the defense will be crashing the LOS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Yeah fake screen has become an important play for some others. I think I saw LSU do a double fake screen and throw deep.

22. BurntOrangeLH

Moving the pocket and rollouts is one thing that Texas did not do this year. I have no explanation why.

23. BurntOrangeLH

Winning does matter but playing well matters more. I want to see a consistently dedicated effort and hopefully some improved Concepts and execution from the coaches on defense and offense.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  24. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Several great points except for the running back.
    He is scary. He is elite, and he is the type of back that can take over a game.

25. BurntOrangeLH

Why we will see Texas in a four-man front on early Downs just like KSU.

26. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

I understand winning is the whole point of keeping score. My point is, win or lose, we're Texas. No one takes us seriously anymore. From that standpoint, the outcome of this game doesn't matter. Is it better for the team to win? Sure, makes for a more optimistic approach to next season. Helps recruiting. Blah, blah, blah.

27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I think the game is going to be a little tighter than I had previously predicted. How do I change my predicted score?

28. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I would be equally unsurprised if we won or lost this game by 2-3 touchdowns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. BurntOrangeLH

I hope you get therapy soon for your personal problems.

30. BurntOrangeLH

Send Dionysus a message referencing your first prediction.