D'Onta Foreman

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by p_town_horn, Nov 25, 2016.

1. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

:hookem:

That is all

• Like Like x 2
  2. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Big thanks to him. He only started to my recollection this year and even this year he was second string a few games. I guess that sums up Strong's coaching ability better than anything else.

3. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Ha. I guess you blame Charlie for David Ash not getting more than one start too.:whiteflag:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Congrats, sir! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  5. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

No idea where your comparison between Ash and Foreman comes from. Charlie started Grey ahead of Foreman and then this year he was behind Warren when Warren was healthy in several games. I guess if you think Grey and Warren are better than Foreman, we disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Idk about this year, but I do know his sitting behind Gray was criminal last year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

:hookem: One bright spot in an otherwise craptastic year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

:coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana:Don't pass up playing with your twin bro one more year! Just saying!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

2,000 yards and 5-7. It is 1997 with John Mackovic and Ricky Williams all over again.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Bros don't leave bros behind in battle. Especially twins. One more year!!! :hookem:

• Like Like x 5
  11. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Good luck to you at the next level young man, and hopefully it is not for a team in Cleveland or one coached by fisher.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm sure it will factor in for D'onta. Just as I'm sure the next coach will get his chance to make the pitch to stay like Mack did to Ricky.

The lure of a legit run at a Heisman Trophy will be discussed just as before.

Emotions are running hot now, let it settle a bit and we'll see how it goes. Either way, Foreman earned his respect the hard way.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

This player talk is just noise. When Herman (or whoever) shows up in Austin, the buzz will drown all this out. If DF is a top NFL pick, he's going regardless of who the coach is...and he SHOULD!! Taking the chance that Ricky took in 1997-98 is not likely gonna repeat itself. The risk/reward is too compelling. I would advise my son to run as fast he could to the NFL...and avoid the VY scenario, getting the best wealth management that money can buy!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

How he was this successful with this group I just don't know but best to him whatever his decision. He was a star in the cesspool of Austin, per Herbstreet.

16. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Class is heavy on accomplished, name backs...Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey, Perrine, etc.

We know Foreman is a beast, be interesting to see how the NFL values his package.

Only one year of heavy production and very limited receiving numbers will factor into the grade. I'd say at best second round considering the class and those factors.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

They were only both healthy for two games, and Foreman got more carries than Warren in both of them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Another aspect they will assess negatively is ball security.

19. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

• Like Like x 7
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I would advise D'Onta to talk to five people in Austin before deciding:

1) Tony DeGrate - No Longhorn has ever been screwed over worse by an agent wannabe. Get the dirty side from a great person that suffered for it.

2) Ricky Williams - He lived it and knows the options

3) Earl Campbell - the man knows how to manafe your money and not get taken advantage of

4) Tom Herman - hear the man out and then weigh your options

5) Charlie Strong - D'Onta clearly trusts Strong, so seek his counsel.

After that, get some ideas of his draft position from someone not trying to get in his checkbook. Then it is family and "knee" time.

• Like Like x 3
  21. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Herman...To find out how he will be used in his offense.
    Ricky....He was in the same position when he was a junior.
    Vince...He was in the same position when he was a junior.
    Those are the three I'd talk to, and then talk to my family.
    Look at projected NFL draft possibilities.
    Look into insurance if I decided to come back.
    Make a decision to either come back to play with my brother one last time.
    Make a decision to take the money and leave for a dream to play in the NFL.
    Not an easy decision.

22. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Nah just let him talk to Vince. VY wishes to this day he'd have come back for one more go round in burnt orange. Yes I'm being selfish. :smile1:

• Like Like x 4
  23. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's a tough decision because I get the argument that NFL running backs have a shelf life. But it isn't just about money. He can be set for life with three years of a big NFL contract. Being concerned about turning a 6-year NFL career into a 5-year NFL career may not be that big a deal for some people.

On the other hand, having a chance to hoist that Heisman trophy is something that not many people get, and maybe it's worth it to come back and take a shot. He'd clearly be a front-runner.

I wish I were in a position to have that kinda choice in life ;)

• Like Like x 3
  24. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

IDK why folks think it's necessary to dog pile the outgoing coach.

Don't be like the goofballs who are hashtagging everything inconvenient to wrong in their life with an expletive of Donald Trump ... ca va?

You got your wish ... not only has Strong been relieved of his HC job at Texas, Herman replaces him. The continued spite/references to failures culpable-only to Charlie Strong tells me you don't really believe your own position.

25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And Foreman sat out the UTEP game because he was banged up.
    Had Warren been healthy they would have shared the load, as well they should.
    Foremans carries benefited from Warrens injury.
    No RB carries the ball that much in todays game.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  27. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I think most respect his decision either way. But there's no doubt he'd make a serious run at the Heisman and increase his draft status with another year.

- 2017 has crowded RB class, several well publicized RB's from last few years
    - He has only one year of heavy production in college
    - Extremely light receiving numbers

All of those limit his 2017 ceiling on draft boards. Right now he's late 2nd round, possibly early 3rd. Combine could bump him higher in 2nd. First round is a no-go.

Come back for a final year with his twin bro, tear it up a second consecutive season, finish top 3 for Heisman on a team getting much nat'l press during return to winning ways...first round is very possible in 2018 draft.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Talk to Ricky and Vince would be my advice, oh yeah and Coach Herman

• Like Like x 1
  29. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Where do you think he will finish in the Heisman voting this year?

If he finishes in top 3, he might stick around.

30. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

One thing to consider is D'onta's lack of receiving yards. As far as yards from scrimmage he ranks third among running backs.

The second highest rusher Pumphrey (SDSU) has more yards from scrimmage (2,113 to 2,103) and they both have 15 TD's.

Boise State's McNichols is tied for first with 2,113 yards from scrimmage but blows both away with 27 total TD's.

This is exactly my point when projecting DF's NFL value. A guy like McNichols has two solid rushing years with high receiving yards in both...

2015: 1,337 rushing, 460 receiving, 26 TD's
    2016: 1,663 rushing, 450 receiving, 27 TD's

It's hard to favor a pure rushing back like D'onta higher than McNichols in regards to the pro game when Foreman only caught 7 passes for 75 yards.

Clearly the other guy can rush well too (535 carries, 5.6 ypc), but also provides a dramatically more dangerous receiving threat which is important to many pro offenses.

CBS Sports Draft rankings which is a pretty solid site for draft has McNichols ranked 52 overall (2nd round) and Foreman ranked 76th (2nd/3rd).

When/if they see DF's big body turn in a blistering 40 for his size, I assume that gap will narrow. But he'll still need to show well in receiving drills to prove he's versatile.

Not sure where DF will finish in the Heisman but he's at a disadvantage among some others. He never had the hype train of the UT PR campaign touting his name.

This is a big deal in that race. When a team has a legit contender entering the season they strongly publicize their guy and continue to send marketing materials to voters.

Unfortunately DF never had that advantage entering the season coming off one split carries season with 672 yards. He's in the race all by his own doing.

Next year would be whole other animal. Foreman's name would get mega press and a personalized UT PR campaign which would help his NFL stock as well.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016