D'Onta Foreman

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by p_town_horn, Nov 25, 2016.

1. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I missed the presser, so I was just guessing. Guess I guessed right.

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

All the best D'Onta. You made your name in Longhorn record books and provided more thrills than anyone ever expected. We'll miss you and wherever you go we'll all be pulling for you.
    Hookem :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Hope it works out for him. I still feel one more year of college ball to work on (1) receiving passes and (2) ball security would help him long-term.

• Like Like x 3
  5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

18th rated draft prospect.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

kinda cool

• Like Like x 1
  7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

:hookem::bevo::texasflag: Good luck and long productive career, big man!!

8. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Good luck D'Onta! You were one of the bright spots during an otherwise painful year. :hookem:

9. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Probably a good move on his part. RB's have to strike while the iron is hot. I'm guessing he's not a first rounder but should still be a pretty good pay day for him. I was kind of hoping he would stick around since twin brother will (I assume) be coming back next year. Plus he was pretty tight with Strong. I assume that factored into his decision as well. Provided Warren comes back and stays healthy, we should be OK at RB next year.

10. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

D'Onta offers a terrific package of speed and power. In the right NFL offense, he'll be dynamite.

11. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

One of my favorites of all time. Not sure anyone has ever worked any harder, cared me, tried to carry more load then Foreman. He loved his team, his coach, and his school. All the best and he's going to kill it at the next level if he gets on a good team. Not many guys that big have his lateral quickness and burst to the outside.

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Is speed really a weakness of him? He seems incredibly fast for a 250 lb guy and outran LBs and DBs on many occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was mentioned in an earlier post that he has hired an agent. Does anyone know with whom he signed?

14. LonghornCatholic

He's 12 on Mel's board.

Other than Fornette (?), not sure what other RB wold be ahead.

He may mess around and go first round.

15. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

We sure wasted his talent. But there are a lot of good backs out there, that can be effective, if holes get opened.

16. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Seems like his talent was put to pretty good use to me. Some might make a case that others' talents were wasted, but not D'Onta Foreman's.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Meant we only got 5 wins with maybe one of top 5 backs in UT history. I guess without him --to your point hippie-- we probably only win 2.

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Creek,

Maybe, but the candy-coaters would sit and drink their koolade, while giving us great statistics on the improvement being made, like top ten Texas teams on yards gained on second down or points scored when down by more than 30. :deadhorse:

19. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

FSU's Dalvin Cook is easily ahead of DF and some have him above Fournette. Could come down to the offensive style of the first team thinking RB in draft.

Cook: 667 attempts, 6.5 ypc, 76 catches for 873 yards, 47 TD's
    D'onta: 431 attempts, 6.4 ypc, 13 catches for 146 yards, 20 TD's

Cook touched the ball 32 fewer times than Foreman this year yet only had 57 less yards from scrimmage, while scoring 4 more TD's.

If his touches matched DF's in either of the last two years he'd have turned in more yards than 2016 DF, and already beat him in TD's (by 5 and 4) both years.

We all appreciate DF's elite running and big final season, but claiming he's on the level of Fournette and Cook as complete backs with repeated heavy production, and has as much value in the eyes of the NFL is false. Not first rounder in this draft. Next year, likely.

Let me clarify I'm not saying his career will be worse, just his drafted position.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  20. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

He'd kill it with NFL teams that run ISO and power and have a decent O-line. I'm wondering what his yards after contact were this season. He was averaging just under 7 yards per carry which scouts have got to love. I think one more year where he could work on his receiving yards he could have been more of a complete back. All purpose backs that can run and catch make NFL scouts drool. Look how awesome Ezikiel Elliot worked out and he's a monster. He was in Herman's offense at Ohio State where he steamrolled Alabama for 230 yards and their vaunted defense.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  21. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

That's a big IF when it comes to staying healthy. He's lost playing time his junior year of HS and only logged 5 games and correct me if wrong but I think he was hurt his freshman year at Texas prior to the season possibly during the spring or summer and has lost playing time due to injury the past 2 seasons with Texas applying for a medical redshirt for 2016 along with the Kirk Johnson. You can never have enough running backs and I hope Herman picks up a good one this recruiting cycle.

The jury is still out on Kyle Porter but I trust Herman can make his skill set work. He did wonders with former Texas RB transfer Donald Catalon who has a similar skill set to Porter IMHO with running and receiving. Catalon rushed fora little over 500 yards along with 270 receiving yards. Not bad for his debut season considering he was buried on Texas RB depth chart.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  23. orngblud

orngblud 1,000+ Posts

I haven't been this excited about anything happening with a Houston football team since the early '90s. Let's go D'Onta, embarrass those RBs selected before you!

• Like Like x 2
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  25. LonghornCatholic

Good for him! Glad he stays in Texas.

What is 3rd round money?

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Foreman says that Coach Strong called him to congratulate him.
    Says Strong taught him about accountability.

Also said -- "Ricky Williams was a great mentor for me."

• Like Like x 4
  29. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Maybe this will help lift the curse on the Texans for not taking VY. The Astros suffered for letting Nolan Ryan go over not that much money (relatively speaking) until they brought roger Clemons to town.

30. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

Watching him and his family and friends brought tears to my eyes! I hope he works hard, stays humble, and surrounds himself with positive people. So happy for him.

Reminds me of Dez going to the Cowboys. Nothing like playing in your backyard.

• Like Like x 3