drag worms question

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by notreally, Jun 16, 2008.

1. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

i believe that is the correct term.

my question is why is that section of street the most desirable location for the young transient population of austin? what is appealing about the drag opposed to say, south congress or downtown?

2. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

I am going to go out on a limb here and suppose that the demographic that your question is addressing has no internet access to answer you.

3. Jim Anchower

Jim Anchower 100+ Posts

The pedestrian traffic on the drag is the densest in austin and there's also a higher concentration of convenience stores and cheap eats. Also, publicly accessible bathrooms within the university are abundant.

4. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

hotter girls on the Drag.

If i am going to sit on my *** and panhandle all day, i would at least want a nice view.

5. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

The drag has college students. College students have bleeding hearts and pockets full of daddy's money.

6. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

I always heard them called 'Drag Rats'.

7. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

8. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

9. rage-a-holic

rage-a-holic 250+ Posts

damn New Army!

I think I head them called Drag Rats in 95 and I set that young punk straight. They will always be Drag Worms.

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Who are Drag Worms? Are you talking about the Drag Rats on Guadalupe Street?

11. achooloco

achooloco 100+ Posts

i might be only 27 but i was born and raised here in austin and never heard of drag worms till now. they've always been drag rats since i went to kealing in the early 90s..

as to your question, i have no idea. maybe they dont get along with the real bums from below the capitol? i dunno.

12. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

drag worms = old army
    drag rat = new army

Drag worm Nazis are new army guys yelling at fellow Longhorns that say "Drag Rat", ignoring the game, until they relent and say "drag worm".

13. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

dragrat

14. Math Mudrat

Math Mudrat 250+ Posts

15. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

I was at UT from 1994-2003 and didn't hear the term "drag rat" until the late 90s.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Really? I used to skate around Austin in the mid 80s and when we wanted somebody to go buy us some beer we would head to the Drag and get a Drag Rat to buy it for us (with some for them, of course). I have heard both terms but Drag Rat always rolled off the tongue easier...for about 25 years.

Drag Worm is not used hardly at all any more though.

17. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

1998-2003 and i heard of the term "drag worm" but always heard people use drag rat.

18. WithoutAClue

WithoutAClue 100+ Posts

another data point for "drag worms" from the mid-70's.

"drag rats"? dang kids always changing things.. [​IMG]

19. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Drag Rats....

& misha hit the nail on the head. Lots of pedestrian traffic that happens to be college kids with big hearts and a pocket full of daddy's money.

20. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Since '77 and it's "worm".

21. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

Worms.

Grew up in Austin, I'm 39.

Never heard Drag "Rat" until today, reading this.

22. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

drag rats.

you guys are old.

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Worm for those either clinging to the past or does not really know Austin as well as they thought they did. Just kidding. Too easy.

I think something we can all agree with is that even though they don't drive an Acura or BMW or have a certain watch nor pop their collars...they somehow manage to be douches. Right? Forum agrees?

Yay or nay?

24. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

douches then, douches now

nothing like a guy with a bush tall boy in a paper sack wanting to fight with you on you way to class at 8am.

25. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

They only want to fight you if you don't give them your money that they asked for in a gruff piss off way. Get it straight.

26. hobbs

hobbs 25+ Posts

From 1984-1988 it was dragworms.

Like others, I've never heard drag rat before this thread.

27. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

How about all us old timers who use "worms" get all you youngsters together and teach you a little "history" lesson - the hard way! [​IMG]

28. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

29. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

30. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

some call em drag worms, some call em drag rats.

i call them ************* Leeches on Society.