drag worms question

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by notreally, Jun 16, 2008.

1. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

In the 80s I heard Rat and Worm. Just depended on who you were with at the moment. Both terms have been around at least 20 years.

2. chichantes

chichantes 25+ Posts

Worms. '93-'97

3. mahone

mahone < 25 Posts

worms.

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

90-94. Always heard 'drag worms'. This is the first time I've ever heard 'drag rat'.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Some of you need to get out more and explore Austin some.

6. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

what the hell is a drag rat?

Drag worms are the lovely guys and gals I remember

7. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

The accepted nomenclature, initiated while "The Indian Princess" was still pushing her bicycle down the drag, is "worm." Have you people no sense of history...at all?

8. TPCJ

TPCJ 25+ Posts

It's drag worms and yes I'm an old guy that remembers "The princess" pushing her bike.

9. WithoutAClue

WithoutAClue 100+ Posts

that would have been "Bicycle Annie"

lovely woman... excellent vocabulary.

10. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

1991-1995 here. Drag worms.

One of them tried to stab me in the back with a steak knife after Texas lost at Mississippi State in the fall of '91.

11. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

12. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I knew it would be taken that way. [​IMG]

I'm sure she had no idea about the game. I was just walking back to Jester from The Castilian when she pulled it on me.

13. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

i have three dragworms that i remember distinctly during my time in school:

1. large heavy woman, no bra, shaved head, no teeth, usually wearing a sweatshirt
    2. skinny asian guy (vietnamese, maybe), no teeth, always smiling, usually sitting. i never saw him walking, which is strange.
    3. skinny, very worn, older woman in a headwrap that always had flowers sticking out of it.

I look back in fondness at all of them. I hope they came out unscathed, but these three looked terminally homeless.

14. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

15. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

16. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

17. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I think she had the hots for you and was a cutter. That or you hooked up with her and cheated on her with somebody else. Love is a powerful motivator for both good and bad.

18. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

19. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I may be way off, but I think she didn't like black people.

My freshman roommate was black, and I was walking from the Castilian to Jester with his dad when the woman pulled the knife on me. The other time she moved aggressively towards me, I was with my roommate.

Another time when I was going to or from the Co-op, I was with several black students, and I had warned them about her. As we were getting close to the store, the woman doggedly got on the heels of a girl, and followed her to the door, and then abruptly turned around, instead of entering the store. It scared the girl pretty badly.

After that, I stood outside and watched her for a couple of minutes, and I saw her walk past, then double back on two or three people...all black.

I know it sounds weird, but that's what happened.

20. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

well, yeah, it sounds weird, but i don't discount it at all.

It is the drag afterall.

I know coming from a pretty sheltered life in the suburbs, the Drag was an eyeopener. Now days, to me, it's no big thing. But at the time, as a freshman, i had to learn to deflect and be defensive and be guarded. It was a whole new mindset.

21. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Drag worm cougar?

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

She could have just seen the movie Jerry McGuire and she "loved black people" with an exuberance. She just wanted you to show her the money. To help you, help her.

23. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

In the early 80s it was dragworm.

24. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

25. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

26. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

27. airportlobby

airportlobby 100+ Posts

Once I was in B&N and noticed a bum with a happy, far away look in his eyes, stranding in the middle of the carpeted lobby. On closer inspection, I realized that he was in the process of pissing himself.

Ah, happy memories.

28. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

1962-66 there were no worms or rats....but I did see a bum or two.
    Back then bums were jailed or run out of town.

29. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

30. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

I've heard both, but drag rat seemed more common.