Dream vs Modern day big men

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Ramathorn, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Dream was known for his athleticism and hand eye coordination among centers. I don't think any big man is as well rounded as he is, but I don't think he compares athletically to a guy like Dwight Howard. And, maybe even someone like KG or Amare. KG isn't near the shot blocker that Dream was, but he's a better passer too.

2. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

Dream would school them beyond belief. He was a legit 7' and dominated Hall of Fame bigs like David Robinson, Patrick Ewing & Shaq. His post moves are unequaled and were unstoppable. Exactly how would Dwight stop a turnaround, baseline fade, followed by the Dreamshake?

I'd suggest you take a peak of video from the Rockets Championship sweep over the very large & athletic Shaq. Or at least check out Dream's stat line from those games.

3. ArmonTanzarian

ArmonTanzarian 100+ Posts

Are you saying that because Dwight can put a sticker on the top of a backboard? Like the above poster said, take a look at some of his videos. Athleticism is more than jumping ability; and Hakeem's footwork, quickness and body control were unparalleled for a big.

4. TJ=NPOY

TJ=NPOY 100+ Posts

Hakeem's athleticism dwarfs leapers like howard/amare. His nimble footwork was better than any athleticism these guys possess.

5. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

Agree with previous poster. He would school ANY big man today with absolute ease.
    There were very few players, if any, in the league that could slow him down while he was in his prime. The only player that comes to mind today that could possible slow him is Duncan maybe KG.
    His stats were ridiculously complete. During the championship seasons he averaged: ~27 pts, 12 boards, 3.5 assists, 3.5 blocks, 2 steals, 53% FG and 74% FT.
    Nobody big man approached this kind of stat filling then or today. And he was a clutch performer who elevated his game in the playoffs.

The only player, statistically speaking, that come clsoe to this level today is KG.

6. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I saw the Dream as a freshman at Houston and we called him Akeem the brick because he was air balling free throws. Only big man I can remember with as many post moves was Kevin McHale, but he didn't have near the athletic ability or shot blocking skills.

7. homer

homer 500+ Posts

very overrated this hakeem guy. he was good. but lets not get carried away.

we don't know if he woulda coulda schooled anyone from today.

8. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

As a player, he is/was far beyond any of the guys I mentioned. At least the Dream I remembered. It just seems that big guys these days can run and jump. The anti-Ewing sort of.

Check out Marcu camby. Again, nowhere near the player that Hakeem or even Ewing was, but he does some things at 7 foot that I can't imagine the old school centers (except maybe Roninson) do.

9. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

10. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

What exactly is Dwight's offensive repertoire anyway besides FGs in point blank range?

Amare is a great offensive finisher and isn't as limited like Dwight, but DAMN, is his defense pathetic or what?

Hakeem dominates all.

11. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

When you look at great centers the top 5 are probably Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Malone, and Hakeem. All those guys in their prime could totally dominate a game. Now Russell might not dominate today but the rest of those guys would dominate in any age period. And Russell would be a damn good player for sure.

Wilt averaged 50/25 for a season one year. Think about that. Cut his number in half and he still might win MVP today.

12. Chico_SA

Chico_SA 25+ Posts

Is this a feel good thread? Just wondering?

13. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

Homer, the Jazz...well you know

14. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

(H)akeem could run the court like a deer. Remember, he grew up a soccer player. Even when he a raw collegiate player at UH, he could get back on defense better than any big man I've ever seen and block shots. Once he developed his offense, he was unbelievable.

David Robinson and Shaq couldn't slow him much in his prime. I think any big man in today's game would have their hands full (and then some) trying to contain Olajuwon.

15. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

16. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

Hakeem was an amazing player who did EVERYTHING well. I'll never forget when he wiped the floor with David Robinson after Robinson got the MVP.

17. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

Don't knock Dwight Howard just yet. He's only 22 years old and he's averaging 20 ppg, 14 rpg, and 3 bpg.

I'm not saying he's in Hakeem's league but let's not throw him under the bus.

18. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

Come on Rocket fans, you lose the first two games in a playoff series and you start reminiscing about the old times! Can't you at least wait until it's all over this weekend?

And Duncan is a better big man that Hakeem ever was.

19. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

21. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

Duncan is as skilled as Hakeem on the offensive end no doubt. They have similar career numbers there. But the difference with Hakeem is that he was just as dominant on the defensive end. Duncan or Shaq for that matter come no where close to Hakeem on the defensive end of the court. His blocks and steals are in a league of their own concerning big men.

22. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Premise of my post was sheer athleticism (run/jump). Hakeem today, would be a 25/12 guy, I bet. He just plays hard, and is very skilled. But athletically, a guy like Howard, Garnett seem to be at another level. And, Garnett is a much better ball handler than Hakeem.

I saw Shaq take it coast to coast one time. Amazing athlete. Not sure that's something Dream does.

23. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

1. The biggest difference between Hakeem and the players today is the zone defense rules. You can mix up your defenses a lot more now. When Hakeem played, the entire offense was throw it to him on the block and either wait for the double team or try to trick the defense into an illegal defense. It would be much more difficult for Hakeem to score on the block in today's NBA. He would still be great no matter what, but he would have to be more versatile offensively.

2. I have a question: why do you think Hakeem didn't win more rings?

3. Tim Duncan has been the single most dominant defensive force in the game since he stepped on an NBA court. Hakeem had better stats, but Duncan has as much impact defensively as any big man in recent memory. By the way, the same comment about the change in the illegal defense rules applies to this as well. Hakeem probably would've been more of a defensive force today than he was in his heyday.

24. UofTOrange

UofTOrange 250+ Posts

25. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

26. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

27. hornphil

hornphil 25+ Posts

the best part of that youtube video is not hakeem's domination of the series, but pete chillcut's domination of the commentary.

truly legendary.

28. ArmonTanzarian

ArmonTanzarian 100+ Posts

29. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

dude, why are you making this personal? Willfully ignorant? Save the drama.

Pool players have great hand eye coordination. Does that make them great athletes?

And yes, I think there are other factors, I just didn't list them all. But, at the top has to be your ability to run and jump.