Dream vs Modern day big men

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Ramathorn, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

3. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

4. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

5. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

6. jeftex

jeftex < 25 Posts

Akeem vs. Hakeem?

I'm taking Hakeem. He's got an MVP and two more rings than Akeem.

7. The Greatest

The Greatest 500+ Posts

i liked Foshizzle bringing up craig ehlo again as a quality teammate of hakeem's. i think i've decided that tim duncan's accomplishments don't mean much b/c he got to play with will perdue. the titles were pretty much inevitable for both.

8. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

Not to derail this thread but this has turned into one of the more entertaining long threads in some time.

Kinda feels like a barber shop boxing argument.

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

10. Foshizzle

Foshizzle 25+ Posts

11. houstonearlers

houstonearlers 100+ Posts

Hakeem was ridiculously athletic. One plays stands out -- when Rod Strickland stole the ball from another player, Hakeem chased him all the was down the court and blocked the ball from behind. Rod was moving too and was quick back then.

12. houstonearlers

13. nych 1

nych 1 250+ Posts

The 85-86 Rocket team lost to one of the all-time great teams. The Celtics won 67 games and went 40-1 at home. I dare say that will never be repeated (one home loss).

14. Mitch Cumsteen

15. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

He seems to have no skills (or not like Dream's), but Nene is a helluva athlete. I see him do things that alot of guards can't do.

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

17. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

18. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

As long as Foshizzle keeps bringing up how Hakeem ruined Craig Ehlo, this thread will last forever.

19. UofTOrange

UofTOrange 250+ Posts

20. Bob in Houston

21. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

Olajuwon refusing to share the ball so demoralized David Wood that he never became the Dream Teamer everyone thought he was coming out of college...

22. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

Now I know why Scotty Brooks never made an All Star game. Damn Dream wouldn't give him enough looks.

23. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

And all this time I thought Matt Maloney just sucked, when it was actually Hakeem that was holding him back.

24. baxteraggie

baxteraggie < 25 Posts

The people who say Duncan is a better player than Hakeem obviously never watched Hakeem. Name one thing Duncan does better: shooter? Nope. Passer? Nope. Rebounder? Nope. Shot blocker? Nope? On ball defender? Nope. Overall offensive game? Nope. Footwork? Nope. Free throw shooter? Nope.

Duncan is a great one, a top 50 player of all time, but he's not Hakeem. Look at who Duncan has had in his lineup through the championship years - Parker (one of the best points in the league for the last 5 years - Hakeem had Kenny Smith), Ginobli (can take over a game, maybe the best sixth man ever - Hakeem had Mad Max and Mario Elie), Bowen (one of the best lock down defensive players in the last decade - Hakeem had a yound Robert Horry who was a good role player), Robinson (I know this was early on, but he still had David Robinson - Hakeem had Thorpe - I would say this is a wash considering David was on the decline), Michael Finley, Stephen Jackson, on and on and on.

Without question, Tim has been surrounded by better talent and to say otherwise shows complete and total ignorance.

Finally, I have never, never, never seen Duncan dominate an entire playoff, much less a series, the way Dream did in the 94 & 95 championship runs. His performances were truly legendary.

25. houstonearlers

26. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

I like the Rockets, but have always been more of a Spurs fan. I also love Duncan's game. He is very fundamentally sound and a great player. That said, there is no contest between him and Hakeem. If you watched both guys play in their primes, there is no way you would say Duncan is a better player. It isn't even close. Those of you that argue it are showing your age.

27. Bob in Houston

28. Mitch Cumsteen

I really can't believe you are seriously trying to argue the 1986 Rockets against the Showtime Lakers. I don't even know how to respond, it's so preposterous. Those were some of the greatest teams in NBA history.

29. houstonearlers

^
    |
    |
    |
    Can't argue with that logic

30. UofTOrange

UofTOrange 250+ Posts