Drew Brees

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by dukesteer, Jun 7, 2020.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Since I didn’t see this topic anywhere I thought I would start the discussion.

I feel so badly for Brees and his family. A class act and community leader, Brees was attacked for simply reaffirming his patriotism. So sad.

I know that he has since back tracked for the better good. I also read his wife’s Instagram post (link below) after they had received death threats. She started by saying that she had tears in her eyes as she wrote it, apologizing profusely. I get it. I would imagine that Drew’s grandfathers that fought for this country are probably drowning in their tears today as well, but not for the same reason.

To say this is sick is a gross understatement. I actually feel queasy when I think about it. Are we still living in the United States of America?

I can’t judge what the Brees’ did after the threats but it is very disturbing that they had to respond as they did. While I’m open to being talked out of it, my opinion as of now is that Brees should announce his retirement immediately, today, and leave it at that. While I doubt he will take that path, by doing so he might be able to send a stronger message that if he did anything else.

Drew Brees' wife, Brittany, apologizes: 'We are the problem'

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Two new Trump voters!

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Is a p***y.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I had the same thought that, at this point, Brees should just retire. If I were him I would probably have done that instead of issuing his retraction. Now, after reading his wife's statement, I think they've lost everyone's respect. Pandering, pure and simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I have to agree. My gosh. With what this guy has done for the community maybe he should have taken a strong stand, and called BS on the attacks.

People are standing up and taking the heat. We need more courage now...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's easy to criticize Brees for backing down but if it was your family getting death threats I think you'd have a different viewpoint.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Good point, and one I did consider. Death threats for respecting the flag. :facepalm: Hence my comment about retiring and getting the F out of NOLA.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Wow, death threats for this? Where are the ******* ******* liberals around here to denounce that for simply making a patriotic statement? Gawdamn losers every single one of them if they don't step up.

9. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Cowardly strangers make death threats. They could just as easily threaten to become a valuable member of society, but we know it’s never going to happen.

However, the threats do provide insight into the front running corksuckers supporting these protests and riots.

10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

They aren't deranged fans. They are quite possibly BLM members or ANTIFA members. I would take it very seriously.

11. 2003TexasGrad

What exactly should he have apologized for? I really don't understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Supposedly he insulted them by implying taking the knee wasn't important and he implied they were desecrating the flag. He wasn't feeling their pain. He then apologized.

13. 2003TexasGrad

What does the flag or anthem have to do with racism? The United States outlawed racism 50 years ago. I dont see the correlation. How does the flag/anthem relate?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I would respect your decision to do so.

15. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Since you guys seem to think it matters (at least for liberals, and presumably for me as well), I’ll start by confirming the obvious — the death threats were incredibly out of line. Death threats are never appropriate for anything, and certainly not for speaking your mind. The biggest condemnation in this circumstance should go to those making the death threats. It’s inexcusable.

With that out of the way — I believe Brees‘ prior statements were ill-informed, and that he genuinely had a change of heart. He previously saw the American flag as a symbol of universal good. After getting flak for his comments last week, he had heart-to-heart discussions with many of his teammates. Some of his teammates have made public statements about the discussions, saying that Brees seemed genuinely engaged. Brees said that he had never really listened to them before. But now he did, and he understands their perspective better.

What Brees previously didn’t get is that the flag means very different things to different people. Most of us — myself included — see it as a symbol of freedom. But others see it as the flag that hung when their parents were sent to the back of the bus, their grandparents were lynched, and their great-grandparents were traded on the slave block. Many feel that those injustices have continuing consequences that have never been rectified, and that significant vestiges of the underlying prejudice remain in modern America. They are committed to bringing about change, and they are running out of patience.

I often don’t always agree with the points they are making. Some of the points aren’t borne out by facts and statistics, and others raise issues that just can’t be rectified. But some of their concerns are valid. And regardless, the fact that you may disagree doesn’t justify dismissing their opinions out of hand, or telling them to shut up and worship the very flag that stands for so many things they don’t believe in.

Until Americans learn to listen to each other with genuine empathy — like Drew Bress seems to have done this week — we are going to hit a lot more rough patches.

Or maybe Brees is just faking it, and remains as ill-informed as he was before. Who knows.....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. horninchicago

Sounds like it's time for some people to get over some **** and move along. GMAFB. The Flag makes people think of that BS? What a crock of ****.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Well they need to be a little more patient because racism and bias isn’t going to end anytime soon. That’s why the legal system is supposed to be blind and the goal is to treat people like individuals. BLM and others need another strategy than acting like a victim in responding to racism. Same for the campus leftists who run to the dean’s office every time someone’s feelings are hurt. I don’t have an answer but whatever they are doing ain’t working and will never work.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Don’t care what these athletes say about the flag, pro or con. But you are not free to do whatever you want on the company dime. If the NFL wants to adopt an anti-flag policy, more power to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 2003TexasGrad

Yes this country has a complex history. That will never change. But more often than not this country has lead the world in the pursuit of freedom and justice, FOR ALL PEOPLE.

Again, racism has been illegal for 50 years as a matter of federal law. People have lost their minds. People bitching about Brees initial video are spoiled brats. You'd think he donned a white hood or had a Nazi swastika on the wall behind him.

He had nothing to apologize for and I'm sorry he was forced to apologize for being patriotic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

My hope is that Drew Brees leads the Saints to a Superbowl victory and then says he retracts his apology and tells rioters and looters to kiss his *** and his father's *** and his grandfather's ***.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  21. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Completely agree with this. We have completely lost the ability to have conversations.

You believe that Brees had a genuine change of heart. Unfortunately we will never know whether that is the case or not since he and his family were threatened with violence. The fact that his family received death threats because he had a different opinion is complete madness. What kind of free country threatens women and children because they disagree with the opinions of their husbands or fathers. I am starting to believe that this American experiment is doomed for failure.

• Like Like x 3
  22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

23. horninchicago

Remember, it's only racism when white people supposedly do it.

24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, those 3 percent people have a reputation for violence like BLM does. *snicker*

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This is a huge factor in the unrest and makes me fear for the future. We can't have a conversation about anything anymore. If someone pushes back at all against the America-bashing and cop-hatred, they get absolutely stomped on - even if it's a completely dispassionate statement of statistics or asking for evidence to support the claims. Furthermore, you're putting your friendships and your job at risk. Well, you can't have an adult conversation in an environment like that. And of course, you're getting the typical idiotic binary thinking. You're either a full-blown BLM radical, or you're David Duke. No room for nuance or balance at all.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  26. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

this fall the NFL is going to have all its players kneeling before kickoff and St. Colin will be honored for his prescience and you sports fanatics will endure it and continue to watch the games and the commercials will be awash in wokester wisdom and guys like Brees will be making pr spots about the evils of racism and how the cops need to be hobbled.

Phuque the whole bunch of them; they deserve the brain damage they will suffer from their destructive sport.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

(glad to see all those millions out there this weekend celebrating the end of the epidemic)

• Agree Agree x 7
  27. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

That's the thing today. Everything has been made into an either or argument and it is a contrived strawman. If it weren't I could say I am sorry I made you feel like I dont care about your cause or your feelings...I do, but I will not apologize for my beliefs and I dont think these things are mutually exclusive.
    But these^^^^ sorts of reasonable positions aren't allowed today...no matter the subject.
    Acceptable beliefs and positions as we all know are a one way street. Precisely why we will continue to be dumbed down as a society and eventually reach the level of the lowest common denominators. It's already happening just listen...its Looney Tunes out there...

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I beg to differ. For my part I must admit I will watch the same amount of NFL as I did before, but in my case

0 = 0

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I mean, it sure seems that Brees is the one who was asked the question and turned it into an "either/or" situation. Honor what it represents, otherwise it's disrespectful. There was no nuance to his original statement. We have like 4 posters asking for nuance, which is a step beyond was Brees did (at least in the original interview), yet everyone else on here sure seems to think his "version" of the original statement was correct, not flawed.

Then, when he added nuance, like many are asking for, he gets blasted for that on this board as well:
    Drew Brees tells Trump NFL protests have never been about the US flag - CNN

For what it's worth, I believe his apology and 2nd apology are more in line with something he always believed but didn't know how to articulate when he was blindsided by the question on Yahoo. He's done so much for the New Orleans community with food drives and football camps and what-not. I think Brees has done his part to alter his original statement into something that people can have a conversation about, but not in the way that West Mall posters want. Hence, the saber rattling. Kaepernick still receives plenty of death threats as well, so that disgusting part is a wash in my opinion. At least Drew and Colin have articulated several thoughts about this, as well as former Longhorn Nate Boyer. And not in the "love it or leave it" variety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

It is fine to change one's mind on something, but if you truly believe something and want to acknowledge another's point of view and show true compassion for or concern for them, be specific what it is you are apologizing for, and also what part of your stance you won't renounce...or don't apologize at all. That's my personal view, but I cant really apply it to DB as I do not know his true view now. Did it change? Or is he pandering? His prerogative either way, but...Just know, in this environment (our society not HF), it wont play well if people think you are completely abandoning a legitimate and sincerely held view just to appease the predictable onslaught from the other side.
    My main beef is I hate to see a guy like him attacked and vilified for making a simple verbal statement of personal perspective. I can't help but wonder.....what would treatment of CK have been if he had simply been asked and gave a brief verbal opinion on race matters?