Driving to Breckenridge

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Basketball Jones, May 29, 2012.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

...this summer from Austin. I initially thought I'd go through Denver and out 70, but looks like cutting off at Hwy 50 at Pueblo, then up Hwy 9 looks shorter. Anyone know the best route?

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

For quickness, go to Rotan and up 25 to 70 and over.

For enjoyment, and if you have the time, try Santa Fe to Pagosa to Durango, and then either up to Glenwood Springs and across thru Vail or turn right at Motrose, thru Gunnison, across Monarch pass to Buena Vista, Loveland Pass to Breckenridge.

Again, it's all about how much time you have. Another short option is 25 to COS and out through Woodland Park to Buena Vista and over Loveland Pass.

3. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

I've done tihs drive countless times. Best and shortest route is 183 to Brownwood, state highways to winters, & sweetwater, lubbock, amarillo, clayton NM, raton pass, i25 to pueblo, up to canon city and then CO hwy 9 up over hooser pass and 10 miles down to Breck.

There is a pretty good winery in Canon City that would be worth a stop for a decent and inexpensive bottle, if they are open when you roll through. You can also stop off at the Royal Gorge if you wanted to just before you make the turn onto hwy9. It can be a little bit of a $$$ trap but the view down to the bottom of the river is neat.

IMHO there is no need to go up to Denver and then over. The views on CO9 is much better.