Dropped Digital Camera in Lake

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Victorious1, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Victorious1

Victorious1 250+ Posts

What are the chances that it will still work?

It's a HP R717 worth several hundred dollars. It fell in about 6' of water and took me about 10 minutes to fish it back out. It wasn't covered in mud or anything and the lights were still flashing when I pulled it out but the camera did not power up when I got home. I figured I would let it dry out and try recharging.

Anyone have any experience with wet digital cameras?

2. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Pull the battery and memory. Blast it with a hair dryer on low.

3. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

4. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

It's a damn shame you didn't buy the HP R718. It's waterproof, you know.

5. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

HP R716 actually floats.

6. Boozehound

Boozehound 250+ Posts

MrMyke's advice is spot on IF you want to try and get it working again. You might consider going the silver lining route and see it as a sign to upgrade your camera...

7. LordHornAustin

LordHornAustin 100+ Posts

8. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Ah...the WP-300.

I'll be glad when the HP R719-U comes out. It has a new remote control feature that will allow you to throw the camera in the water, then you run it around the lake like a remote control submarine.

This will of course require an upgrade in the WP-300.

9. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

The think tank at HP has actually started beta-testing the HP R719U-SSN, which is the nuclear powered version of the 719U. The small nuclear reactor eliminates the need to resurface for new batteries. Other features include miniature Tomahawk sea to land missiles to take out all those snotty Canon and Nikon digital camera owners, and a small periscope incorporated into the viewfinder.

10. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

11. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

I hate flied boards.

12. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

13. Mr. Snedly

Mr. Snedly < 25 Posts

if you have no morals:

go to Best Buy. pay cash for a new one of the exact same model. switch out the cameras and go get your money back. make sure you lie when you fill out the name/number info.

this is basically the same as stealing.

14. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

good thing you have the HP R717. If you had the HP R719U-SSN and tried that move the embedded tracking device would cause the camera to self destruct.

15. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Snedly, you can't do that ****. This thing is worth several hundred dollars. This is an HP-717 we're talking about here. Obviously, it has tons of mods slapped on it to this point, thereby appreciating the value by great leaps and bounds. You try that **** at Best Buy, thugs, pirates and ninjas will pound you about the head and shoulders with great force.

16. Victorious1

Victorious1 250+ Posts

Hah! Camera still works, sort of.

I gave it the blow dryer treatment that Mrmyke709 suggested and let it dry for a day or two (very dry in CO). I plugged in the charger for several hours then powered it up. The zoom is working and it takes pictures. But...it looks like the lcd is a little shot; not much color is showing. I'll probably be buying a new camera in the near future. Wife is pissed at me for dropping it in the water while fishing.

17. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

18. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

I jumped in a hotub with mine and it never worked again. I took it back to Best Buy and said I didn't know what happened, it just quit working. The guy tossed it in a box without a second glance and gave me a store credit for the original purchase price. By then the prices had gone down so I got an upgraded camera.

The best part about the new better camera was rubbing it my wife's face after the **** I went through for killing the old one.

19. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts