Drug bust snares TCU students (and athletes)

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by fw_horn, Feb 15, 2012.

1. fw_horn

fw_horn 25+ Posts

Most interesting quote, "Some of those involved are believed to be involved with the football program"

In the live press conference they said football players were involved.

Link:The Link

Live press conference:The Link

2. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Bad, bad decisions. People just think they'll never be the ones that get caught nor do they think of the possible consequences.

3. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

From what I read, all 17 students are accused of drug trafficing. Even if they avoid the slammer, I presume all 17 will be expelled if they're found (or if they plead) guilty.

4. Fan4life

Fan4life 25+ Posts

5. fw_horn

fw_horn 25+ Posts

Devin Johnson, Ty Horn, Tanner Brock and D.J. Yendrey all arrested in TCU drug sweep.

6. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

They were so pissed about the unfairness of the LHN, they felt they had no recourse. Either go to the sec,sec,sec, or traffic drugs. OK, they did make the better choice. [​IMG]

7. fw_horn

fw_horn 25+ Posts

8. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

This somehow reminds me of Showtime's Weeds... Too bad real life has consequences.

9. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Why do we care about TCU kids? Oh yeah I forgot- they are now a part of the Big 12. Great. [​IMG]

10. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

Considering we and other Big XII schools have had problems with drug scandals, TCU is fitting right in the conference. I know it was a couple of isolated incidents but let's not forget we had Ramonce Taylor and Robert Joseph.

I feel for TCU players and fans because most are law abiding citizens and it doesn't reflect too well on them.

11. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

Talk about your life pretty much being done. Hello prison.

12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Money is a very powerful tool for a teenager or early twenty something. Hell, money is powerful for many people.

The problem they had is they enjoyed being the go to guy and the popular guy, and they wonder how they got caught, hmmmm?

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I have a strange feeling that this story is going to snowball into a huge disaster for Gary Patterson. First, he's losing these guys, and has a really hard schedule next year, which means he's likely to be having a losing season right in the middle of dealing with this issue--if indeed it persists. Second, I think the SMU mafia (!) will go out of their way to pursue this story a "fur piece." (Remember all that weird drama and anger Patterson had last October?) What obviously catches your eye is the statements by two of the players that almost the whole team failed the 2/1/12 drug test. If that's true, or becomes believed, there will be a fire ant nest crawling all over Patterson's leg. Just could be a hard phase of life for someone who doesn't take criticism well.

15. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

16. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

This is just an internship for future employment with Sam Hurd

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

if I read the affidavit right he sold it to the undercover police guy last November?
    and they just now arrested him and the others?

18. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Once you have that much evidence on a guy, why get him right away. Cops want to uncover the network -- who is upline? Sad for the kid though. This is serious. Dealing and using aren't the same crime. Misdemanors you can pay a ticket and go on. This? Just the legal bills will be astronomical and even at that won't guarantee and innnocent verdict.

19. dfwhorn

dfwhorn 25+ Posts

And your point?

20. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

and just look at the percentages. 17 dealers arrested out of a potential student body of 9800? Pretty high percentage to be arrested all at once.

I completely agree about the Patterson situation. It's almost gonna be like the football team was in a dream, too good to be true. Kind of reminds me of the Wacker phenomenon, with the K. Davis cheating all occuring just as TCU was joining the big boys.

TCU might be lucky to go 6-6 this year.

21. freyguy

freyguy 250+ Posts

who invited these yay-hoo's into our conference?

22. FW_Horn_32

FW_Horn_32 100+ Posts

My brother-in-law was a narcotics officer for the FWPD for 3 years. T
    He would buy, and buy, and buy for months to build a bigger case against the guys involved, which could in turn solidify cases against the dealers. They would also use it as leverage for some smaull reduction in sentencing in order to get the names of their suppliers. That's how police work their way up the supply chain to get to the big time dealers. No need to bust them right away.

23. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

I bet Brock was exaggerating about only 20 players passing the drug test. I wouldn't be surprised if there were numerous players who might have experimented or used it recreationally.

As far as Patterson is concerned, as long as he wasn't involved in a cover up like Tressell or Dave Bliss, he won't be affected. With players who were using or have used, he can't kick out all of his players. It probably will be a case by case basis on factors such as the nature of that players use and if he's taking corrective steps such as rehab if needed.

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's interesting the whole term "dealer." When I was in college I knew several "dealers" very well. They sold pot out of their dorm rooms to other students and nobody acted like these guys were hoods or scum. In fact they all moved on from it and are productive members of society. They seemed like businessmen to me because the party scene was pervasive and they were serving a need. They were definitely making good money. Everyone liked the convenience of walking to someone's dorm to buy a "Lid" to use the term from the late 70's....

25. fw_horn

fw_horn 25+ Posts

26. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Not a good way to begin life in the Big 12.
    What does TCU stand for...Titanic Cannabis Users?

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

FW Horn,

I hear you. It was illegal... I was just commenting on the inner culture of drug use on college campus and how the term "dealer" is applied in that situation and is also applied to people like the Zeta's. There are thousands (millions?) of good kids who use marijuana. It's all over the place and but for the grace of God goes Mack's football team. Patterson is living the nighmare now...

28. darius

darius 500+ Posts

"Titanic Cannabis Users." Clever, accuratehorn!

How about: "Their Careers Undone" or "That Customer's Undercover?!"