Dry Aging Beef at Home

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Jim Bob, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

I've been experimenting with dry aging beef using special bags made by these guys. The Link

You take a subprimal cut such as rib loin (ribeye) or strip loin (New York strip) and seal it in the drybag with a Food Saver. The bag acts like a Gore Tex membrane, allowing oxygen to pass through but not allowing air in. This permits the beef to dry without spoiling. As it dries, the enzymes in the meat concentrate the beefy flavor and tenderize it. After an aging period of 21 days or more in the fridge, the meat develops a brown, leathery exterior which is then trimmed off before cutting into individual steaks.

I have done both strip loin and rib loin and been very impressed with the results. This is a post I made on the drybag website showing a choice rib loin from Costco after 38 days in the bag. The Link

I'm also doing numerous charcuterie projects using the bags. I'll post those when they're ready.

2. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

The Link Bad link. Let's see if this works.

3. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Or you could go to Whole Foods and buy dry-aged beef....

4. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

Whole Foods dry aged beef is twenty two dollars a pound. If you don't mind paying fifty bucks to go home with two steaks, you probably have no reason to age your own beef.

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

After reading the link, I am more interested in trying the reverse sear cooking method than I am in dry aging my own meat.

Out of curiosity, when you factor in the 40%+ weight loss due to drying and trimming, how much did the beef cost you per pound?

6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

I believe I paid eight dollars a pound for the beef at Costco, which would work out to a little under fourteen a pound after the loss is figured in. Not cheap, but the flavor and texture was comparable to much higher priced beef.

It really took awhile for me to come around on trying the reverse sear. I've been blasting steaks over lump charcoal for decades with great results. I don't have the technique down to my satisfaction yet, but the reverse sear has worked well enough that I'm thinking about trying sous vide. The next time I do it, I'll probably take it off the low heat at about 105 degrees, then give it about three minutes a side in a cast iron skillet or on a hot grill.

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I have read about the dry aging technique previously, but have been afraid to try it. Seems like it could possibly be dangerous (?).

8. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

I think the drybag is safer than some of the other home aging techniques because the bag acts as a membrane to keep out bacteria. I've done a fair amount of reading both on the drybag site forum and other cooking sites and have not heard of anybody getting sick. So far, I've used the bags to age a rib loin, a strip loin and a brisket. I've also used them for charcuterie to make bresaola, cappicola, pancetta, dried duck breast, prosciutto and salami. The results have been very good, with no spoilage problems. I currently have two whole prime rib loins aging to supply my summer grilling needs.

9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Are you trimming and cutting steaks then vacuum sealing for the freezer? That's quite a bit of beef.

10. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I'm sealing and freezing them. I've never had a vac sealer until I started this dry aging. Now I wouldn't be without it.