Dual sport powers

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Third Coast, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

After seeing Florida make it to the elite eight once again, it got me to thinking about how many programs would be considered perennial powers in both football and basketball these days. That is, with at least a relatively reasonable chance of making a BCS bowl and the final four in the same year.

I haven't given it a lot of thought and have probably overlooked some obvious possibilities, but the only others I could think of is Big Ten schools - Ohio State, Wisconsin and possibly Michigan State and/or Michigan.

I guess a team like Oregon has the potential, but I'm not sure they are consistent on the court enough to consider.

Thoughts?

2. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

UCLA although I don't know if they have good at both in the same era before.

3. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

Louisville won the bball national championship last year while beating Florida in a BCS Bowl. They missed a BCS Bowl again this year by 3 pts.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Michigan hasn't been a consistent football power lately.

6. Third Coast

Yeah, Michigan has been pretty inconsistent in football, but they do have the potential in both sports. I'm just not sure Brady Hoke is the one to realize it.

As far as Louisville is concerned, I think they also have the potential to maintain what Strong achieved in football - if Petrino can stay out of trouble that is.

[​IMG]

7. BV Horn

BV Horn 100+ Posts

It's a travesty that UT is not a traditional dual sport power. You have the nation's largest athletic budget, with excellent facilities, sitting in a talent rich state. It's all about the coaches.

8. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

UT first has to work its way back to being a single sport power. Unclear which sport will get there more quickly at this point.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We've been more than that - at one point around 2002 or 2003 football, both basketballs, baseball, and softball were all in the top 5 at the same time.

10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I don't think there are any dual sport (basketball & football) powers these days. I qualify that as representing the last 6-8 years or so.

11. Third Coast

12. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Wasn't Florida pretty salty in baseball not too long ago also?