Dude that posted the pic of Michael Phelps...

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by general35, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Coel - Why do you feel it is your need to validate and endorse the opinions of your students? You have a very Socratic method on this board, so I'm wondering if your teaching style is different?

I don't think you have to say pot is good, bad, both, or neither. That's up to you. Just as the opinions of your students should be up to them. I would say you should simply encourage them to learn about a subject before forming an opinion. Your job is the learning part, not the opinion part, right?

I never said that independent ideas should be validated and endorsed merely because they are independent, as you suggest. I said that you should encourage your student to learn and study.

As for my personal beliefs on pot and alcohol (and tobacco), I think they should all be legal. In terms of health consequences, the most benign of the three is the only one that is illegal. Doesn't that strike you as odd? It does me. Age limits....sure, why not. Honestly, I haven't really done very much research/reading on how effective age limits for things like cigs, booze, and driving, as far as responsible use goes. In general I believe the substance ages should be lower and the driving ages higher. 16 year olds behind the wheel put far more people at risk than 16 year olds smoking pot, knocking back a few beers, or smoking cigs.

3. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Iverson still has his shoe contract after drug and firearm charges. He has also been caught driving under the influence. Phelps was doing bong hits at a party.

4. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

5. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

we're still talking drugs and I'd assume General would be more nra than flaming hippy on gun control. Just a guess.

And forget Allen Iverson. Let's say a guy with a less than wholesome image (though Phelps was busted for dui as well).

6. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

7. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

8. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

9. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

General, you would be just as upset if someone did that to say Allen Iverson, right?

I like how you imply im a racist, nice going and yes, it would ne just as bad imo. the difference being that iverson makes 20 mil a year regardless, phelps income is all endorsements, there are no cash prizes for winning a swimming race dumbass.

10. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

general, what does money have to do with any of this?

11. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

12. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

13. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

14. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

15. general,
    i just read this page and realized that i wrote something that nobody mentioned but that i wish i'd phrased differently. i wish i'd used different terminology than "mocking".
    okay, here is the real point. i don't think you were being labeled a racist with the allen iverson example. the point is - celebrities (athletes) are caught by camera's all the time. why is this situation so outrageous? it seems normal to me.

16. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

i cant decide whether this or kate moss doing coke was more absurd.

I was in london at the tie. KATE DID COCAINE.

burberry dropped er for about ten minutes.

OMG A MODEL DID COKE.

Hilarious - she came out much stronger post that btw.

17. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

As a 29 year old attorney who was in a frat but never smoke pot, I say who the f**k cares that a 22 year old smoked pot at a party. I wonder if Kellogs would have dropped him if the economy was doing better. Could just be a convenient excuse...

18. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

19. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

Mabey if he wasn't smoking illegal drugs, Phelps wouldn't be in this mess

Versus a legal drug where you drink a 12 pack and fall flat on your face or go puke on the front lawn yeah but it's legal !!

20. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

Totally agree. The guy that posted the pic is a real piece of work and I hope it was worth it to him.

Prob. was the second place finisher.

21. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

22. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Did you do a search on "pot" or something?

23. you wouldn't have expected it with this thread.
    strange.

24. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

What's that funny smell?

25. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

26. shorty

shorty 250+ Posts

Seriously, you Phelps apologists who want to see harm come to the person who snapped the pictures are not thinking straight.

Phelps has contractural obligations that include character clauses. He gets paid a lot of money for those contracts. He, Phelps, has the responsibility to honor those contractual obligations. Phelps brought this on himself not the person who snapped the pictures.

Please let this subject die and go away.

27. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

Fast forward to January 2010.

"Michael who?"