Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

That is hilarious!

2. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I saw that horned lizard guy in the Austin airport a few years back.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I wonder how the TSA people handled him.

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

5. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I think "No Straights Allowed" would be a more appropriate title.

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's the problem in this country. You just can't find a place where minority LGBTQA activists can spout off about what they believe. It's impossible to know what they believe or how they feel about anything!

• Like Like x 4
  7. ProdigalHorn

We need a thread for "idiotic bias" but for now, here's an example of why I can't stand Snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/cnn-washing-machine/

[​IMG]

CLAIM
    CNN invested in an industrial-sized washing machine to help their journalists and news anchors spin the news before publication.

RATING
    [​IMG] FALSE
    ORIGIN
    On 1 March 2018, the Babylon Bee web site published an article reporting that CNN had made a significant investment in heavy machinery to assist their journalists “spin” the news they report:

ATLANTA, GA — In order to aid the news station in preparing stories for consumption, popular news media organization CNN purchased an industrial-sized washing machine to help its journalists and news anchors spin the news before publication.

The custom-made device allows CNN reporters to load just the facts of a given issue, turn a dial to “spin cycle,” and within five minutes, receive a nearly unrecognizable version of the story that’s been spun to fit with the news station’s agenda.

One reporter was seen inserting the facts of a recent news story early Thursday morning.

“Okay, so we just slip in the location, the people involved, the facts of the story, and there we go,” he muttered as he fiddled with the buttons and dials on the machine. “Spin for five minutes on high, and we’ll have ourselves a news story.”

Although it should have been obvious that the Babylon Bee piece was just a spoof of the ongoing political brouhaha over alleged news media “bias” and “fake news,” some readers missed that aspect of the article and interpreted it literally. But the site’s footer gives away the Babylon Bee’s nature by describing it as “Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire,” and the site has been responsible for a number of other (usually religious-themed) spoofs that have been mistaken for real news articles.

OK.... REALLY??? Someone read that article and thought it was true? Come on... This is the kind of thing where someone at Snopes sees CNN getting ridiculed and wants an excuse to call it "false" SOMEHOW.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What they believe is
    (1) none of us should be allowed to own a gun
    and/or
    (2) that we should all just die instead

Campbell was charged with strangulation, assault, resisting arrest, loitering, criminal possession of a weapon and obstruction of government administration

https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/prote...king-trump-supporter-is-charged-with-assault/

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I wonder if or when Snopes will "fact check" whether or not Marco Rubio or Dana Loesch were actually responsible for the Parkland shooting.

11. ProdigalHorn

That's the second dangerous aspect of "fact checkers" - it's not just about the danger of perspective (when something is "partly true" or partly false"?) But it's about what gets evaluated. What types of questions get focus? And what questions are more relevant than others? Which ones are just about embarrassing someone and which ones have real consequences?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

In theory, fact checking is a good thing. It can hold politicians accountable when politicians say false things. However, in practice they are often a weapon used to give the Left unearned legitimacy and a deemed but phony accuracy.

They screw up in a few respects. First, they are very selective about what they choose to check. Second, they distort what is and is not a fact statement. They basically don't know what a fact is. Third, if you read their "analyses," rarely do they simply cite to relevant facts. Instead, they cherry-pick facts that support the conclusions they want to reach and ignore facts that undermine that conclusion. In other words, they're often full of spin rather than true analysis. Finally, they aren't equally tolerant of inaccuracies. They seem far more willing to dish out "pants on fire" on Republicans than on Democrats, whose inaccuracies they'll often spin into "mostly false" or even "mostly true."

• Like Like x 2
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It appears that this the new "why is everybody eating Tide Pods?"

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  14. ProdigalHorn

So basically Brooklyn barbecue is Texas barbecue with enough twists to claim it's not really Texas barbecue, plus smaller servings and more pretentious plating.

15. ProdigalHorn

• Like Like x 9
  16. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

That's awesome PH!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A couple Oscar related tweets: one new, one old

He also called the film "Grinding Nemo"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I still question whether people actually like sushi.

19. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Well played good sir!

I will admit to liking the sushi that I buy at Sam's. :)

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. ProdigalHorn

"I love you Nashville! Well... I didn't love all of you, but I loved as many of you as I could!"

• Like Like x 4
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Don't vote for a Democrat with the last name of "Barry" for mayor.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

In fact, don't vote for anybody named Barry.

• Like Like x 1
  24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

^^^BOOM!^^^

25. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I haven't been around much lately. In this situation this transitioning boy wanted to wrestle in the boys division. The governing body in Texas (UIL?) decided to draft the rules in 2016 to force them to wrestle based on the gender assigned on their birth certificate. That's more of a UIL problem, IMHO.

I've seen non-transitioning girls that can hang with the boys. Let them wrestle the boys, especially when the girls division is generally obscenely weak. In Washington State the girls have the option of wrestling in the boys division. When it comes to wrestling, it's been my experience that the wrestlers want to beat the best so rarely to you get a girl capable of competing against boys choosing to stay in the girls division.

26. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Quality sushi is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

It has become a very embarrassing situation in Nashville.

28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

We're going to have to rename Tennessee. How does East Oklahoma sound? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This goes back to the issue of why we segregate sports by sex in the first place. Should we drop that and let weaker or less skilled dudes compete in what used to be the women's leagues? If we're going to treat gender as an outdated social construct, then that's where we're heading. It's the only conclusion that is consistent and makes sense.

If you do that, then the FTM folks can compete wherever they choose. However, they should still have to pass a steroid test.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts