Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not the new Captain America. It's Captain Marvel. Different character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ProdigalHorn

See if you can see the problem with this statement.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ProdigalHorn

BTW, that Captain Mabel is a goldmine. One after the other:

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I think you mean Capt. Marvel.

Wasn't Capt. Marvel (AKA Shazam) a man for decades and decades? Is this more Marvel Comics / Disney Political Correctness run amuck?

5. ProdigalHorn

No, Shazam is DC - at some point he was called Captain Marvel but I think they either dropped that name, or they just don't use it in the comic title. FYI, there is in fact a Shazam movie coming out shortly, and it may be funny. Jury's out.

The Marvel Captain Marvel was always female.

6. ProdigalHorn

It's like she doesn't want traditional comic book readers to go to this movie:

I get her point to an extent, but you can't say "I want everyone's opinion," and then say "I don't care about what YOU think about it." If she wants to make a comic book movie, she has to get that her audience does actually include white men in their 40s.

By the same token. Critics do their job, and she needs to get over it. If someone doesn't like her movie, calling them sexist white men and dismissing what they say is pretty childish.

7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Sounds like the femi-nazis are trying to do for Capt. Marvel what the MSM and minorities did for Black Panther; create a tidal wave of overblown, undeserved rave reviews. Panther still holds a 97% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. No critic dared give it a bad review. It even got a token Academy Award nomination for best picture.

Aw, for the good old days when movies like The Godfather, Patton, Jaws, etc. had to stand on their own merit and didn't have an ax to grind.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Is Brie Larsen a WOC?

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

LOL, Capt Something

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That is pretty funny. Apparently Hollywood still has enough clout to force Rotten Tomatoes to change its rating system, just for this one woke movie. Capt Whatever seems to be on the same trajectory as the woke Ghostbusters

11. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

This was a volume of complaints problem not necessarily a Muslim problem based on me reading of the article.

12. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Lot's of evidence of illegality but not warranting an investigation? Party over country always your thing? I was hoping that was reserved for the Trump supporters.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So Capt America was a male and is still a male in the movies (right?)
    Was Capt Marvel a transgendered fictional comic book character? Is the movie character a trans or is she full on female?

14. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yes, Capt. America is still a man.

According to Prodigal, the Capt. Marvel I remember became Shazam and DC dropped the name. Apparently then Marvel introduced a character of the same name, whose movie is coming to a theatre near you. I think.

Here's an old pic of Captain Marvel from Wikipedia. Looks like a dude to me, so maybe he did go the Bruce Jenner route. I guess you'll have to go see the movie to find out for sure.
    [​IMG]

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    First you said
    "who literally disregard any potential illegality by their candidate."
    I asked you if you were serious. Potential. lol
    I guess you looked up the definition of potential
    so now you have changed it to
    " Lots of evidence of illegality but not warranting an investigation?"
    can you list any "evidence"

aren't you surprised with all that "evidence" all anyone including you can do is talk?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Brie Larson is showing herself to be a complete bore of a person. I am a total Marvel comics geek but reading what she says is making me rethink watching the movie.

For the history of Cpt Marvel, Cpt. Marvel exists still in DC and Marvel. Marvel bought the rights from DC years ago to use the name but DC still has the right too. The stipulation is that Marvel can only use it as longs there is not a 5 year gap between having an active comic book with that character.

The original Marvel character was Mar-Vell a Kree soldier who develops a soft spot for humans in his dealing with them. He has super powers and all that too. He interacts with a human woman, Carol Danvers. They are a love interest for a while. She somehow gets powers and becomes Ms. Marvel. Then after 2010 Marvel decided to make Carol Danvers Capt. Marvel when they had to introduce another Capt. Marvel comic into their line up to keep the right. So now she is Capt. Marvel. Her powers didn't change, just the name.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

In case you or anyone else found yourself asking "What next?"
    I am now able to give you the answer

This will no doubt quickly replace woke Capt Marvel as the greatest Marvel of all time
    (dont blame me, I am not allowed to contribute to the establishment of the hierarchy)
    But this is also not to dispute Black Panther as the greatest everything of all time

Liberals, did I state this correctly?

18. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

DC has beaten Marvel to the punch at every turn (but Marvel just does it better). They had a gay Green Lantern for a while. Don't think it went over to well in the long run.

19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

With reference to the Muslim representatives comments about Israel, "Ocasio-Cortez tweeted, "No one seeks this level of reprimand when members make statements about Latinx + other communities."

Sh*thole anyone? It is patently obvious that a very large number of people took this personally and have carried forward in their portfolio of hatred. Same with the rapists comments made by Trump.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Obviously, the school officials aren't going to say, "we only backed down because the the complainers were Muslims, and we would have told a bunch of Christians or Jews with similar complaints to screw off." However, the article is pretty clear that the primary people who complained and protested were Muslim. It's also worth noting that Birmingham has a very large Muslim population.

To be clear, I'm with the Muslims here. If schools don't want to get "politicized" and don't want to be blamed for social problems, then they need to stay out social issues. It isn't their responsibility, and it isn't their right.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I read it as Titania, and hardly thought anything of it, because it sadly wouldn't even make the top 25 of ridiculous stuff I've seen parents do with girls' names.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So while Husker is wallowing around with "potential" illegality and " lots of evidence of illegality" attack dog Nader D-NY and House Judiciary Chairman admitted on CNN they had no evidence Trump obstructed justice
    “Ok, so now you’re not sure he’s obstructed justice?” CNN’s Erin Burnett asked Nadler Monday night.

“Personally I think he has but we have to look and see,” Nadler said.
    Nader "thinks" he has. Isn't that like "potential"?

And of course we have the Mueller over 2:confused2: year investigation. No doubt Mueller thinks there is potential illegality and if he just has 5 more years he knows he will find it.

Now this, more potential
    The New York Times reported that Aon, one of the largest insurance brokerages in the world, received a subpoena late Monday as part of the probe by the New York State Department of Financial Services.
    Once again, there is no indication that the Trump Organization engaged in misconduct, however, the Democrats are going to go on a fishing expedition anyway.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

His lantern glowed rainbow, and petered out his powers...

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Pun intended, i’m sure.

If that rainbow had any yellow in it, it was all over for Green Lantern. I always thought that was weird! Every hero needs an Achilles heel I guess.

25. ProdigalHorn

And here. We. Go.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Martina forced to apologize
    How sad
    This stuff is going to lead to the end of many college womens sports programs
    There are many schools out there dying for a good legal excuse to shut them down already because of the negative revenues they produce
    It's weird to watch since it was the feminists themselves who fought long and hard to turn Title IX into the monster it is today.

[​IMG]

• poop poop x 1
  27. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Captain Marvel is 84% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Lots of phrases like; "powerful female superhero", "uplifting female messaging", and "visuals of such a powerful female hero are rare enough that its sheer existence makes you giddy" from female critics. Like they did with Black Panther, I think the critics will go easy on it, not because it's a great movie, but because they like the social message it gives.

• Like Like x 1
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm glad I don't get any self-satisfaction from fictional characters. White. Black. Man. Woman. If the character has superpowers then gender doesn't matter. You can give any gender or race any power IN A MOVIE. It's when we see regular women beating up powerful men who clearly know how to fight that I just laugh. That's the PC stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Lack of clarity, confusion, double-meaning, humor were clearly some of her.his.their goals with that name choice

Here is my take (but I could be wrong) -- there was a very funny/sarcastic/satirical twitter account named Godfrey Elfwick. I used to post some of his stuff here occasional because it was so biting. But he kept getting suspended by Twitter and eventually he was permanently banned and the account taken down. His crime? He made fun of woke leftists and SJWs. His humor was very clever but not enough to avoid liberal censors.

His response? He had to get even more clever. So he created a new twitter persona that is too woke to ban. I think this is who Titania McGrath is. She is Godfrey Elfwick re-invented. It's the same style and wit, just smarter than the last account.

Eventually the Twitter Police will catch up and this account will get shut down too. Liberals simply do not allow themselves to be made fun of anymore. With regard to Titania, they are not yet smart enough to figure out that is what's really happening here. But eventually, someone will tell them and that will be that

And I also think it's obvious the account is written by a (biological) male. That's not intended to be an insult, just the logical conclusion.

The death of Godfrey Elfwick

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Great timing, combining it all

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1