Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

The National Assoc. of Basketball Coaches has recommended eliminating SAT/ACT requirement for NCAA eligibility for basketball players calling them "longstanding forces of institutional racism". If that flies, you know all the other college sports will demand it too.

What's next, athletes don't have to maintain a passing average in basket weaving or animal husbandry to play ball? How about they don't have to actually attend classes as long as they're on the team? All they have to do is drink, party, and ball.

Hoops coaches want SAT, ACT requirement nixed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  2. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

"Last month, the NABC also recommended that all high school and college students be required to complete a course on Black history."

Yeah...uh...no.

3. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Isn't it time to decouple athletics and education? Let's start paying athletes in cash to join the Austin minor league Longhorn football, basketball, track and swimming teams. No admission or attendance at UT classes required. The university can sell the stadiums and facilities to investors or the teams. A lot of teams won't make it - maybe just football. But I don't have a problem with that. The idea of the student athlete is pretty much a bad joke anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

4th_floor, I am all for having separate admission standards for athletes. They are essentially going into college to pursue an athletic career. I would add that as a degree path or a program path even if they don't receive a degree.

Then athletes who want to get a degree in engineering or business can or they can focus on athletics solely. The AD could still run as it does. Just require a high school diploma which is all some industries need today.

5. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

My last semester at UT, among other things I needed two upper division electives. One of them that I picked was a history course. When I got up to the head of the registration line in old Gregory Gym, the course I'd picked was closed. I said "well, just give me an upper division history course". I wound up in a class called "The History of the Negro in the United States".

The course was taught by a black Prof. who wore a dashiki and sandals to class. The first day of class, he walked in and wrote "ethnocentrism" on the board. When nobody volunteered to explain what that was, he wrote "Tarzan" on the board as an example of ethnocentrism. I thought, as the only white guy in the class, "uh oh, here we go". But, he gave me an "A", so it all worked out. I'm sure he wound up at Harvard or Cal-Berkeley eventually. He seemed pretty disdainful of UT.

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 4
  7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I would love to see the admins turn the tables and demand their resignations for being intolerant, but we know that will never happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

They are always on offense and putting whoever disagrees with them on defense. There’s hell to pay if you don’t agree with them.

Like I said “who can’t be questioned is who has all the power”.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Let me be sure I read that correctly a police officer had a flag representing his profession (a heretofore honorable profession btw) and he’s being castigated? We are screwed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I guess it was only a matter of time before cancel culture came after Dilbert

[​IMG]

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Doesn’t the response support his point?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This one might actually happen now that they rolled over for the extortionists, Once you start doing that, you tend to either keep doing or just disappear

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Granted the SAT is a pretty crappy indicator of anything other than your ability to study how to do well on the SAT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. horninchicago

So, doesn't everyone have access to the same study material for the SAT?

The Private Pilot, etc., "written exams" are computerized multiple choice tests. You can absorb some information studying for the tests, but essentially you learn the answers A,B,C, or D. That's it. Anyone can get his hands on those study guides. What prevents athletes from doing the same for the SAT?

Why the F is everything RACIST!!!!!?????

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

In an effort to be totally impartial the NY Philharmonic Symphony and most other symphonies conduct auditions with the musician behind a screen so all is heard is the music/. The judges do not know gender age or race of applicant. JUST the ability to perform.
    Slipped Disc | 2020
    The NYTimes paper’s chief music critic Anthony Tommasini has called for blind auditions to be abolished because they impede the advance of diversity in orchestras.

He writes: The status quo is not working. If things are to change, ensembles must be able to take proactive steps to address the appalling racial imbalance that remains in their ranks. Blind auditions are no longer tenable.

Blind auditions were first introduced to ensure that every player got a fair chance, regardless of race, collour, gender or creed.

So the wheel has turned full circle?

Most players believe blind auditions are the fairest way to select the best talent.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It is because activists are quota-driven. They measure outcome. It is not merit-based. They CLEARLY would degrade everything in the name of stats.

I played the French Horn in high school. I know, I know... pencil-neck geek. I also play the piano. So, F with me at your peril!

We had seating's (1st chair, 2nd chair and so forth). This was by ability, talent etc. And yes, the band director sat behind a screen. We were all white kids and we knew the bias had been eliminated. I was a freshman and there were five others (all girls; all older than me). I was placed in second chair much to the consternation of a few of the ladies. Too bad. I knew I was better than them having played next to them during football season and luckily I didn't choke. The audition was for the stage concert season.

All I can say is this type of pathetic forced affirmative action goes under the category of mindless egalitarianism.

QUALITY SHOULD NEVER BE DEGRADED FOR POLITICAL PURPOSES. EVER.

This morning I reviewed our affirmative action policy. It is driven by our government contracts. And guess what? It say's "The best employee should always get the job."

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Not completely, no.

A lot of what you learn with quality SAT Prep material is more than that, you learn details about how the test is constructed that help you make better guesses on the ones you don't know as well as to get through the ones you do know faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. horninchicago

Why is that? Are they not available at libraries?

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Parts of this are quite clever

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• poop poop x 1
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's about ten days old, but this critique of White Fragility is pretty great.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I appreciate the link, but I didn’t need to read it to know it was BS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Dang, I've found a spot where we agree. I don't see why I can't support BLM and the blue. They're not mutually exclusive. There may be a few rotten apples but cops protect us and have a crappy job. I think we should pay them more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

From the article:

DiAngelo’s outlook rests upon a depiction of Black people as endlessly delicate poster children within this self-gratifying fantasy about how white America needs to think—or, better, stop thinking.

Is that irony or what? Who's delicate, white people or black people?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That didn't take too long.

• poop poop x 2
  29. horninchicago

Can't watch PGA tournaments or Golf Channel anymore, either. Even though the biggest star on the planet and who they talk about 95% of the time, is black, we are constantly bombarded with "We need to have a conversation" ads and segments.

F them. I'm done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

What will it take for professional sports associations to go bankrupt? I can't see them surviving all that long if this keeps up. Even if they do the pay has to decrease seriously. TV ratings are going down. No paying fans in the stands this season. If you keep pushing Marxism, who is going to buy merchandise and tickets? I love sports, but I am seriously preparing to give it all up including the Longhorns if they keep pushing it. My life will actually get better. So I hope they do push it. Of course it will be sad for all these would be sports stars. They will have learn to break rocks for a living.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1