Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't think they'll crew them with unqualified pilots. I don't think they'll find some black dude on the corner and say, "hey man, we need a black guy flying planes. We'll pay you." That isn't how affirmative action programs like this work. What they'll do is allow race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc. to become enough of a factor that people who are more qualified but the wrong color, gender, etc. are passed over (as they are in academic admissions). So you'll still get trained pilots. They just won't be the best and most qualified pilots that United can hire - not because minorities can't make exceptional pilots. They certainly can, and plenty of them are. However, those who can don't need an affirmative action program. The ones who do are going to almost necessarily be subpar compared to some of the people not being hired.

Will it make a difference? Hopefully not, but when we're talking about an aircraft with hundreds of people onboard who face almost certain death if things go wrong, you'd think that merit and qualifications would basically drive everything.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This
    " What they'll do is allow race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc. to become enough of a factor that people who are more qualified but the wrong color, gender, etc. are passed over (as they are in academic admissions). So you'll still get trained pilots. They just won't be the best and most qualified pilots that United can hire -

3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^^^ better get ready for this industry (and socially) wide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I don't disagree. But, I'm just saying, if y'all don't want to fly United, don't do it because you fear it won't be safe.

Fly Frontier instead.

:coolnana:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

hic
    OK
    done

• Hot Hot x 1
  6. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

You go to Hawaii???? Got free drink tickets?????

7. horninchicago

No, and not sure. Our fares are first cheap to begin with, so, I doubt it.

8. horninchicago

We are getting A321XLRs though, so, Hawaii may be in our future.

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

hic
    Explain what that means for us peasants.

10. horninchicago

Lol, it is just an extended range A321, which is the largest variant of the A320 family.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So does that mean We get a discount if we use your name?
    Asking for several friends who have their black socks and flip flops packed

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That is true, but a few things to consider. First, if we're following the letter of the law, what they're doing is illegal. Second, the Left could make the same argument about pretty much any affirmative action program.

Finally, watching you on this is kinda amusing. Usually you're pretty hostile to wokeness, cultural liberalism, and racial self-flagellation that goes with them. But once we're in the realm of pilots, you get pretty indifferent borderline "cuckish") in tone and substance. The industry must be balls-deep. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Piloting is probably the last area that hasn’t been infected by race/sex over merit. I suspect when HIC sees some crazy decisions being made based on race/sex, he will be more critical. Be patient, it will come.

14. horninchicago

No, let me re-clarify. I think it is stupid as hell and have stated so on another forum. I'm just saying it won't be unsafe.

• Like Like x 1
  15. horninchicago

Explain why it is illegal, please.

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

HIC works for a smaller airline. They can’t afford wokeness. What I have seen in the chemical industry is that high merit folks who are pushed out at top tier companies due to wokeness end up at 2nd tier companies. It is a way for 2nd tier companies to get top tier talent.

17. horninchicago

This was my first comment on this. I said it was stupid from the get go.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

On the whole, you are correct. But what about extraordinary situations (that is not the blame of the pilot) that requires extraordinary flying skills? This is where you will see the difference but it may only be a once in 5 year event.

19. horninchicago

Small but growing. Announced several new routes in the last week, including some added routes out of DF and W.

Hell, don't put wokrness past us. However, we have a "person of color" system Chief Pilot, female base Chief Pilot, and women in various important capacities.

20. horninchicago

I just don't see safety being affected. Stupid wokrness is affected. That's it. IMHO.

21. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

That just means a bigger greyhound in the skies...but still better than spirit...

22. horninchicago

Thanks?

:coolnana:

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Like Ryanair or EasyJet but more expensive.

24. horninchicago

So...won't be seeing you on one of my flights when you get over here?

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to fire, refuse to hire, or take any adverse employment action on the basis of race. If the less qualified minority is hired over the more qualified white guy, an adverse employment action has been taken against him on the basis of race.

• Like Like x 1
  26. horninchicago

Hard to prove, right?

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Your did condemn it, but it feels very obligatory - sorta like when the Left "doesn't condone the violence" of BLM. Your tone is very subdued by your standards. Lol.

And FWIW, defenders of affirmative action always say the final product and standards won't be compromised. Honestly, I don't see how they couldn't be. Remember, a minority pilot who is qualified under normal competition doesn't need an affirmative action program.

And just to be clear in case you wonder about my own consistency, law firms (especially big ones) do this **** too. It's just as wrong and just as illegal. I have no qualms at all about judging them for it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. horninchicago

Well, I am on threat of perma ban, so I am trying to be nicer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not when they come out and admit what they're doing.

• Like Like x 1
  30. horninchicago

Does it surprise you that UA lawyers lost out in this and it was allowed to happen? Or are their lawyers just stupid?