Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Isn’t the material that Chapelle does on race just as bad as his views on this?

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

D*** by, I have a new respect for your perspective. Personally I doubt I could handle your situation, my admiration to your young wife - strong lady.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Thanks man. We're taking on some water but we're not sinking. We are a hardy people! Her family is very stoic. They roll with the punches but there is admittedly a lot of built-up anxiety in their genes.

I get anxious like anyone else but I don't bottle it up (obviously!). But not just on West Mall. I like to talk things out in person too.

Years ago I found out that my mother-in-law's (my Dad's wife) grandson was gay. My Dad, as I've mentioned many times, is from Cuba. His wife is from Argentina. My Dad was a homophobe in the way it's defined today. He was very macho and used insulting gay terms at times. Well, along comes the gay grandchild (of course this was a latent thing) and suddenly his wife becomes a Liberal (she is Catholic) and she's shutting him down completely about homosexuality. He and I discussed it and I said, "You know, when it happens to you then it's a game-changer."

Tip O'Neil once said that all politics is local. That is so true. I try not to be the type of person who waits for something to happen to me to care about it. I want that level of empathy.

I probably don't come across that way in some of my posts but I'm enraged at the hypocrisy we see and how the problems of the people are being weaponized (to use a Liberal term) in order to gain political power and redistribute wealth. But when it comes to you, me, Seattle, OUbubba and others, I want to be kind and understanding about your real life.

But it doesn't mean I'm going to cancel people over it.

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

By
    You will get many many prayers and deep felt good wishes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Trans is a fad. My daughter’s friend jumped on the trans bandwagon (female to male). Changed her name from a female name to “Carter”. We just learned she did that because her boyfriend for over a year was apparently gay and pushed her to be trans. WTF? Fortunately, he accepted that he was gay and she stopped being trans. It’s mass hysteria on teenagers and young adults.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Yeppurs...ROGD (Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria) is a thing. The trans contingent tries to tamp down discussions of it, but the realities is that cases spiked once sites like Tumblr became popular. And then once started down the path, the kids feel peer pressure to CONTINUE even after they realize it is not the right thing for them.

7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We are treating it as real. There are no "Are you sure?" types of questions. At least not from me. My wife may have asked that question early on.

Her child's wife (yes, married) is a bi-sexual female (biological and gender identity). My wife and I wonder about the influence inherent in the relationship. They are very tight as a couple. Who knows?

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So the wife could possibly transition to male while the husband transitions to female. Perfect.

Bystander, being facetious above. I sympathize your position. Happiness is what is in your head and their happiness is what is in their head. Since we can’t get into each other’s heads, what can you do?

• Like Like x 2
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

MB you have a strong sense of who you are. These kids don’t, and as a result, they bring others down to their level of misery for selfish reasons. By the way, this behavior applies to all folks, not just picking on trans. Then again, we would all be better off as society if we drop the identity oppression Olympics and treat people as who they are.

10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The latest part of the thread makes me feel like Ward Cleaver. Simpler times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The couple are Liberals and I suspect feel progressive and shed of old school labeling. We pretty much avoid politics around them. The "wife" (or actually, we're not sure what's what in the relationship) is quiet but firm when she speaks. I said something one time about my daughter liking to shop ("typical girl") and got a frown from her.

Happiness is an interesting comment. My wife is stressed. I'm cautious. They seem to be happy. But are they?

12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mb not only knows who she is but I suspect has a handle on the rest of us .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

To clarify: I have a daughter who has a wife. I'm good with it but I had to grow a little.

PS: I also grew up in small town eastern Oklahoma wondering what was wrong with me because I couldn't stop thinking that George Michael was pretty. Turns out, he's just a pretty guy. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

And bubba
    a very nice person who gave lots of money to charities

15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Not sure I could ‘grow into it’ but I don’t claim to be strong.

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

1,000 points of grievance? Hadn't heard that one before. I guess that's a direct shot at President Bush's 1,000 points of light.

18. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Very little of what goes on at UT has anything to do with politics and declining to donate targeted goals is dumb. How is donating to a scholarship for math majors helpful to leftists? Or engineering or chemistry? Or the HRC?

this obsession with politics is goofy and ignores what the university is actually about

19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Go on...

20. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I would suggest that many at our university staff have themselves forgotten what the university is actually about. Administrators (decision makers) are judged very much on the financial aspects of even a public college. If they are good at fundraising then that goes a long way towards being good as a university leader. To fund the things an administration wants, sends a strong approval message of the current administrator....and vice versa.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So a high school in Ky for their Homecoming rally had the FB team dress up in lingerie and give lap dances to male teachers and Superintendent, who is also the Mayor.
    Apparently the teachers and Super didn't know this was coming
    Don't know how Anyone could think it was ok except teen age boys
    Predictably the outrage is deafening with cries for all the teachers and Super to be fired.
    Very definitely freakin stupid
    But unless the adults knew and planned it,Come on Man.
    Maybe in front of the entire assembly the teachers and Super should have stood up in moral indignation :idk:
    But we need to lighten up a little

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That kind of **** used to be thought of as clever and funny. Maybe even daring.

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Are you guys really cool with this? Because if the facts are as I understand them, this is kinda ****** up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I don't think anyone is "cool" with it. It was just plain gross and stupid. If it turns out this was known about and sanctioned by the teachers and Principal they probably should be fired.
    If as we all remember how clever we were at that age it was dreamed and planned by teenagers then maybe the outraged should take a deep breath.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Cool with what? The HS dance thing?

To be honest, I do not know the particulars of the case. But having masculine football players fooling around in drag once in a while and doing stupid **** to entertain the rest of the student body is not anything new.

26. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

When I was a sales rep for a three letter company in Austin, our group was to be in charge of the monthly sales meeting skit. We had a satellite office in College Station so we were going to do a spoof of that office entitled "Dances With Sheep" as Dances with Wolves had just come out.

Needless to say it got nixed by management pretty quickly. Of course they nixed it with a grin on their face.......

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 3
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I understand doing some goofy stuff, but wearing lingerie and doing lap dances is too far. Would we let cheerleaders do something like this?

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Have you ever gotten a lap dance and not known about it? They're pretty hard to miss.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If God loved us.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1