Dumb Political Correctness

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Mr. Deez, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Tory governments are allowing this, so they obviously don't care.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is policing in the UK in 2017

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

There was a saying in our family for that idea. Whenever something bad may have happened, someone might say, it could be worse. When by words or questioning look the other asked how, the phrase was, "it could be that plus a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One of my dad's favs too. I can hear him saying it right now

6. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

First of all, you put a whole lot in there that I didn't say. I never said "untrained". There's a lot you can teach someone to do in 30 days if the scope of their duties is limited. I wouldn't teach them to be general contractors. I would teach them to paint or put on shingles or lay tile. I wouldn't teach all of it. The medical industry is the same way. You break the task down small enough and just about anything is reducible to being done by a person with a 5th grade education. There's a big difference between going to UT and being thrown into Freshmen Chem with 300 other students and going to ComCollege with a class size of 25-30. And if they need remedial training...that's exactly the "catch up" aspect I'm promoting. You don't stick into the deep end just because their skin color adds to the mosaic. You allow them a semester at CC for the remedial training, or even two if needed.

7. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I sure agree with the approach of agreeing that there is a problem, agreeing that past attempts have not been useful, but being willing to try something else. The "give a man a fish" approach has not worked, and its cousin, "give a man a job" has not, either--although that's a little better. We need to improve the actual productivity and decision-making of people who are not very productive and have not made good decisions. Not an easy undertaking with all the cultural and emotional defensiveness involved.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

More interesting question is whether the Mexicans will step up and ALSO complain given that THEIR flag was one of the six...

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The British police have lost their minds

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

12. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

It seems that you are separating culture from parents and support structure, but it is difficult to tell. Maybe you mean prior policies have an effect as do parents and support structure. Regardless, I do believe parents and support structure (i.e. culture) as well as liberal policies have each had a negative effect.

Instead of trying to reinvent the world for these folks with honest, well meaning programs that would help them catch up, it may be wise to look at groups that were downtrodden in the past and examine what changes they made to catch up, not what changes were made by society. In other words, instead of changing the world to help overcome the inherent problems, lets focus on changing the source of the problem instead of treating the symptoms. What is the source of the problem that has the greatest negative effect on the black community? Single mothers having babies. That has not always been the case in the black community. The trend started with liberal "giveaway" programs in the sixties, and has continually deteriorated. Therefore, begin to phase out those welfare programs. If we make it easier to follow the path of poverty, people will take that path.

The idea of trading work for benefits is okay for those currently caught in the cycle of poverty, but we have to cut off the source of the problem or the cycle will continue.

13. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

For you lawyers out there, are there laws that are specifically 'hate crimes' or is it the offense, i.e. assault, that is labeled as a hate crime?

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Here's what happens in the US. The person commits a routine offense - murder, theft, assault, rape, etc. In addition to the normal findings necessary to support a conviction for that offense, the court also makes a finding that the person committed the offense because of his bias or prejudice against a group identified by race, color, disability, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, gender, or sexual preference. If that finding is made, it increases the punishment to the next highest level of offense.

However, in other countries, things may be handled entirely differently. They may have actual laws against saying or doing certain things to certain types of people, etc.

15. militaryhorn

So, what you are saying is that I can hate my ex-wife as long as I don't commit a crime against her and not worry about going to jail?

16. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

"Spouse" isn't a protected class. Now if you hate her because you hate women then you could be in trouble. [taking fake lawyer hat off]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You can hate her and even commit a crime against her, and though you might go to jail, you won't go to jail for a hate crime, unless you commit the crime against her because she's a woman, like SH said.

18. militaryhorn

You guys need to turn your sarcasm meter on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Onion might as well just close shop
    They cant match real life

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

No freakin way...Allies? Twospirit? People have really lost their minds. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  21. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's hard to be surprised, because let's be honest - that sign is the natural conclusion of everything the left has pushed on gender issues. This is why I have no patience with moderates who talk about these things as if they're no big deal, and that none of those "crazy paranoid scenarios" will ever play out. Because they do. Over and over. Pedophilia will be on that list in some form (maybe not by that name - for all I know it's already covered because who knows what some of that means) before long. Why shouldn't it be? People who only want to have sex with the new sex robots will be on there. At some point people will stop being satisfied with wanting to marry their pets and start wanting to have sex with them, and that will be on there, too. Because all it takes is a handful of people who're willing to put themselves out there, and they can find a soft-hearted liberal who doesn't want them to feel left out.

22. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

A primary school in Kittery, Maine read aloud a story about a transgender child to preschoolers without getting the parents permission.

"The book details the struggles of a child “with a boy’s body and a girl’s brain,” who eventually finds a doctor that tells the family the boy is a transgender."

Little kids went home that night and asked their befuddled parents if they were transgender.
    On top of that, the school was pretty uppity about it, feeling, as the Left often does, that they'd done nothing wrong.

http://eagnews.org/school-under-fire-for-kindergarten-lesson-on-transgenderism/

Schooling used to be about teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now it's about bending young people's minds over to the Left's beliefs.

• Like Like x 6
  23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Oh it's been about that for quite a while now.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This does seem to be a severe breach of cultural appropriation etiquette

[​IMG]

25. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I've seen remarkable changes in 18 yr olds that join Army. It's a unique situation and not everyone will join the Army but I have seen young people from crappy homes/families right the ship and become excellent soldiers and people. There have also been many that join up, do their 3 years and go right back to being slugs/thugs. While I don't think this type of project/opportunity should ever be deemed a "right", I do think that, like health insurance and education, a country as wealthy as ours with as much intellectual talent and economic resources can eventually work out a good solution that strikes the right balance. But solutions to difficult problems don't usually just come to us in our sleep. If we aren't acknowledging them, talking about them and attempting solutions...the problem won't ever go away.
    Not a hand out, but a hand up.
    Note that my suggestion puts the work before the payout, much like the GI Bill. You put in the time, then you get the reward. As compared to education loans now that dole out the money before the candidate has demonstrated the slightest ability to stay the course and do the work.

I've always been a fan of a lifetime cap on "freebies" whether its disability, welfare, food stamps, etc. I think it is easy to fall into the perpetual victim and welfare mindset and we must guard against that with any program, but a few months of job training doesn't equal perpetual welfare.

• Like Like x 1
  26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It just hit me; the problem is not that white people don't believe the police have shot innocent black people, profile them or are more trigger-happy... it's that they are being asked to protest in a certain way (dishonor the anthem or the flag) and if you don't then it means you don't support them. That is almost a form of political extortion. DO THIS OR ELSE.

Come up with a more palatable way to express support and maybe we can talk. I have nothing against the flag or the anthem. They do not represent unjust laws or behavior to me. Being an American (which the flag represents) means you should not be subjected to unjust laws or behavior. Attack the behavior and not something that is a sidebar because it's obvious to me the conversation about the police and their relationship with the black community is not being discussed... it's only now about the form of protest.

Now the protest has become about Kaepernick not being hired to play football. It's a major segue. Just like destroying property. It's not working. Those forms of protests are missing the mark.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Barkley is being called a "white supremacist"
    His crime?
    He said black people should stop killing each other

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It has long been argued that the Vietnam protesters extended the war.

29. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Some poor PR guy ... told to try to figure out a solution not to offend anybody is now learning ... hell yes, people can gripe about six American flags. In a nation of the perpetually offended, everyone interested can find a path to victimhood.

• Like Like x 3
  30. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The only thing missing will be the story that SFOT has people on staff named Andrew Jackson and Robert Lee along with an Antonio Santa Anna...

• Like Like x 1