Duncan's Legacy

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by longhornfan2818, May 28, 2008.

1. longhornfan2818

longhornfan2818 250+ Posts

Last night on the drive home from work Doug Gotleib was on 1530 and he was saying Duncan's legacy will be tarnished if he never wins back to back championships. At first i thought he has to be kidding, how can a four time champ and three time finals MVP have a bad legacy, but he was dead serious. Duncan is the best power forward to ever play the game, back to back championships or not.

2. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

People like that will always come up with something even if what they mention comes about. If Duncan ever won back to back he (they) would come up with something else. Duncan has a record that many players would love to have.

3. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

Is Doug Gottlieb's legacy tarnished because he can't shoot free throws?

Oh, well... yeah, I guess he might have a point. [​IMG]

4. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

As much as I loathe Duncan, the fact that this question is being asked is laughable.

Hell, he could not win another title and his legacy would not change. He is the best PF to ever play the game.

5. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

I bet Karl Marlone and Charles Barkley would love to have a legacy as "tarnished" as Duncan's.

6. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

Not on Duncan per se but on the spurs on local houston talk they said if SA loses to the lakers that the spurs will go down as the worst dynasty of all tiime.

I think that's probably an accurate statement and not at all a slight.

8. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

9. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

Duncan's legacy will be his incredulous look whenever a foul is called on him. [​IMG]

10. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

11. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

I don't think anyone considers the bad boy pistons a dynasty. they won back to back titles. So did the rockets, I've never heard the D word thrown about with any seriousness for either team.

I'd be really happy to be a spurs fan too. I'm a houstonian so I'm a Rocket fan, but the spurs have a ton to be proud of.

Being the worst dynasty is like being the poorest guy at a billionaire convention, still pretty damn cool, but someone has to be the poorest/worst.

13. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

Yeah, I don't get it. Back-to-backs would be nice, but four in nine years is pretty sweet no matter what order they come in.

Also ... Duncan won his first title and his last with two completely different casts. That has to mean something, too.

Gottlieb is a blowhard.

14. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Gottlieb was a fringe D I basketball player, he is the equivalent of Stephen A. Smith except he is white.

15. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

I wouldn't get too worked up about the opinions of a thief.

16. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

17. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

18. longhornfan2818

Duncan will go down as a top 10 player of all time, when he is done.

19. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

20. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

Not to get all Bill Clinton on you, but I guess it depends on what the definition of "dynasty" is.

Some would say four titles in nine years isn't a dynasty at all. As a Spurs fan, I don't give a ****. Four titles in nine years is pretty ******* fun, no matter what label you attach to it.

21. longhornfan2818

I think you could make a case that duncan is just as good as Shaq. Yes i know they two completely different positions, but both are dominant on defense and very productive on offense.

22. hornbri

hornbri 25+ Posts

23. Michael Knight

Michael Knight 1,000+ Posts

24. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

25. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

you know, I think it's fair to put Dynasty on the spurs, but if the lakers win it this year and next year, with the three peat at the begginning of the decade don't you almost have to say they are the team of the decade?

I don't know, just a thought.

And top 10 players of all time, Hakeem needs to be before Duncan and cousy doesn't belong.

I'd say the guy who ranked the dynasties had them right.

26. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Wilt's gotta be #3. You can't average 50/25 and not make the top 3. Duncan/Shaq/Hakeem are all pretty even to me. I'd hate to rank beyond the first 3 as they were all great. Bird, Kareem, Big O. I've been blessed to watch everyone in that list except Cousy. I was 3 when he retired, but as others said, doubt he makes my top 10.

27. Alum03

Alum03 250+ Posts

28. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

I''m pretty sure I disagree about David Robinson being better than Duncan.

He only lost 2 years to the military and even at his absolute peak (mvp season) he got thrashed by Hakeem. I've never seen anyone thrash Duncan like that.

29. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Spurs fans are funny. Always think they aren't getting enough respect. The Spurs and Duncan get plenty of respect. They don't get any hype. That's because they aren't a hype team nor is Duncan a hype player. They are very businesslike. That and a small market don't translate into a national fanbase. You need either a flashy main player or a large city, or preferably both. The Spurs have neither. So they are an extremely successful team that nobody cares much about out of San Antonio. Nothing wrong with that and their fans should definitely be proud.

Right now, the hype is on for a Lakers-Celtics reunion. I know y'all hate that, but your team can still possibly throw a monkeywrench in ESPN's plans. And you guys aren't the only ones. Nobody cares about Detroit currently. Nobody cared about the Rockets back in the day either. In 94, you would have thought the Knicks were playing themselves. SI released the 94 commemorative issue only in Texas. You could find a 91 Bulls or 86 Celtics SI issue on newsstands in rural Uzbekistan.

Y'all have had and may continue to have a good run of success. Don't let the lack of national hype get to you.

30. RO'Nealicus

RO'Nealicus 100+ Posts