DVD mapping software?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Hellraiser97, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Not sure if there is even such a thing.

Anyway, if I were to say enjoy ripping DVD's and converting them to DivX to play on my Zen (not that I would do such a thing of course!), is there any software that can sort of decompose the menu structure. If I were to do such a thing, and ripped all the extras as well, I'd end up with a bunch of files, but short of watching them individually, not know what each is!

Also, if I had ripped a DVD in it's regular form (not stream) and it were residing on my hard drive, any way to recompose the files into the proper streams to convert to DivX? Obviously, I could burn it back to a DVD, then use the DVD-Ripper program to rip it back in streams, but that would be a pain, waste time and discs!

Not that I would do any of this of course!

2. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

I am not clear on what you are trying to do. Do you want to save the DVD "extras" to view, or do you just want to extract the main movie. The latter is fairly straightforward (I do this for archiving on HDD and ipod conversion), but I am not sure how you would do the former and keep the menu interface.

3. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

I don't want to necessarily keep the menu interface. When you look at the PCM streams in DVD Decrypter, it organizes it into a single file (So for instance that 20 minute behind the scenes video shows as one file, not maybe the 2 it is spread over). What I want is a way to know what that file references outside of watching it. The DVD menu, I believe, calls those streams, so basically I just want a way to easily label each stream as to what it is when I extract it.

4. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

OK, I think I understand.

Why not rip each individual stream to your HDD as a single .vob (under options, IFO tab, file splitting->none). Then convert that .vob file to a single MPEG2 file (or whatever format you want), then you can name the file something descriptive (movie title_behind the scenes.mpg, movie title_director interview.avi, etc). Seems like a lot of work to do all that ripping of the streams separately, but if you really want the extras with an easy to identify filename, it should work. What file formats will your zen play? I would imagine that it will play MPG2 directly, or you could just convert the .vob/MPEG2 file to divx.

5. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

That's what I'm doing! The question is, once I create that single VoB file, short of watching it, how do I know what it is?

6. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

7. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Sure, but again, short of watching it, I don't know what it is!

8. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

by reading the new name of the file? [​IMG]

9. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

Holy crap, I can't believe my inability to communicate here. Let me see if I can make this as simple as possible:

When you rip a DVD, you have several options:

1) Make an ISO, a single file that is an image of the DVD

2) Rip the individual files as they are on the disc. In this case, the video for the movie and various special features are often spread to more than one file as the file size is limited to 1 GB each. This is a pain if you want to convert to DivX or any other format

3) IFO mode: This looks at some data stored on the disc and organizes the files such that each item is ripped to a single vob file. The screen you would do this on typically would read something like First node as VTS_01 and the sub nodes as PGC 1 (2:12:23), PGC 2 (0:15:23), etc. Where PGC 1 in this case is the main movie and PGC 2 is say all of the deleted scenes in a row.

I use option 3 because it is the easiest to convert down to DivX.

That PGC or VTS data or whatever it is called is read from somewhere on the disc. When I tell it to extract PGC 1, it extraccts this as a single vob file (probably around 6 gb or so) rather than 6 1 GB files.

Unless I manually rename that file, it will read something like "VTS_01_PGC_01_1.VOB"

Now obviously, the one that is 2 hours or so is the main movie. However, all the other will extract as some form of the filename above.

Short of watching them, there is no way to know what they are.

Obviously, somewhere on the disc, there is data that DVD Decrypter reads to know to rip only the appropriate parts of each file for each PGC_X.

Likewise, when you are viewing the DVD in your DVD player and you go to extras and view deleted scenes, there is data somewhere that it reads and knows which parts of which vob files to play to show you the deleted scenes.

What I am looking for is a program that can tell me that PGC_1 in VTS_01 is the main movie, that PGC_2 in VTS_01 is the Deleted Scenese, that PGC_1 in VTS_02 is the Making Of video, etc.

Right now, after I extract each PGC to a single VoB file, I have to watch the file to determine what it is, then rename if from "VTS_01_PGC_01_1.VOB" to V_for_Vendetta_Deleted_Scenes, etc.

That is a pain in the ***. I am looking for a simpler method.

Thanks.

10. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

Haha, ok. You want the whole process automated down to the file naming step? Nothing I am aware of will do that. All the programs that I have seen require you to name the output file. How many DVDs are you trying to convert?

11. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

The Dude, thansk, I'll check that link.

Anastasis, yeah, I'm lazy! Actaully, I am talking about over 100 DVD's! I'm basically putting all of my collection on my PC so that I can view them whenever I want.