Eagles Requesting Campus Changes

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 12, 2020.

1. tchill

tchill 25+ Posts

[ but I didn't get crap !!!! I worked for what I got.

Now get off of my lawn.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

He sounds pretty privileged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@tchill See post #268 on Page 9 of this thread. You might learn something.

I will add this quote appeared in an editorial entitled "Why Juneteenth Matters?" that was published in the New York Times. This editorial was written by Jamelle Bouie, an african american writer for the New York Times, and retweeted by Barack Obama.

"When secession turned to war, it was enslaved people who turned a narrow conflict over union into a revolutionary war for freedom. 'From the first guns at Sumter, the strongest advocates of emancipation were the slaves themselves,' historian Ira Berlin wrote in 1992. 'Lacking political standing or public voice, forbidden access to the weapons of war, slaves tossed aside the grand pronouncements of Lincoln and other Union leaders that the sectional conflict was only a war for national unity and moved directly to put their own freedom — and that of their posterity — atop the national agenda.'"

Apparently both Mr. Bouie and President Obama have no problem acknowledging that slavery was not on the table when the conflict began.

One would also think if the war was truly for slavery and not southern independence, Virginia would have joined the war much sooner and Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri would have been far more pro Confederacy.

Delaware firmly rejected the 13th Amendment and did not ratify it until 1901. Yet Delaware was firmly a Unionist state.

Finally, every state did not say slavery. Confederate States of America - Wikipedia

"The secession ordinances of the remaining two states, Florida and Louisiana, simply declared their severing ties with the federal Union, without stating any causes. Afterward, the Florida secession convention formed a committee to draft a declaration of causes, but the committee was discharged before completion of the task. Only an undated, untitled draft remains.

Four of the Upper South states (Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina) rejected secession until after the clash at Ft. Sumter. Virginia's ordinance stated a kinship with the slave-holding states of the Lower South, but did not name the institution itself as a primary reason for its course.

Arkansas's secession ordinance encompassed a strong objection to the use of military force to preserve the Union as its motivating reason. Prior to the outbreak of war, the Arkansas Convention had on March 20 given as their first resolution: "The people of the Northern States have organized a political party, purely sectional in its character, the central and controlling idea of which is hostility to the institution of African slavery, as it exists in the Southern States; and that party has elected a President ... pledged to administer the Government upon principles inconsistent with the rights and subversive of the interests of the Southern States."

North Carolina and Tennessee limited their ordinances to simply withdrawing, although Tennessee went so far as to make clear they wished to make no comment at all on the "abstract doctrine of secession
    "."

What is strange to me is, if the civil war was truly over slavery, why must lies be told like "every states listed slavery in its secession ordinances" when that is not true? If one is arguing the truth, he or she should be able to do so without lies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If Eagles is receiving money from BLM, is it a NCAA violation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

It’s called gutless. When it’s time to stand up for something, MM has wilted. Why does that not surprise me? Honestly I have never liked MM and have wondered why so many do? To me he embodies pretty much everything people don’t like about “some” Texans.

All Hat And No Cattle.

• Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Yeah...

10. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Two observations on the Emmanuel Acho conversations:

1. From the criteria posted in this chat by many posters about what a successful black man should do in the US to be accepted and achieve equality including - Determined, self reliant, educated, hard working, resilient, family orientated, talented, good citizen and willing to work within the system to get ahead on ones own efforts it would appear that Acho should be the poster child of a successful black man.
    Strong family and Christian upbringing in nuclear family with excellance in academics and multi sports resulting in a full ride scholarship the University of Texas as a 4 year starter, numerous national recognition and B12 awards and graduation prior to a 4 year career in the NFL. Facing reality of his limits in the NFL, Acho moved onto sports broadcasting and had stints at LHN, ESPN and currently Fox Sports.

2. A person should not be judged just by their achievements as a Texas Longhorn or by how much they earn in their chosen field but by the type of person that are. Actions matter.
    My wife worked at Dell Childrens Center here in Austin and in the course of her 11 year employment she met quite a few people that volunteered their time to visit the sick kids, parents, siblings and their families to make their hospital stay just a little bit more bearable.
    The Longhorn Football team were regulars on Friday visits during the football season and for some players year round. Players, coaches and student athletes made lots of kids smile.
    In addition to a bunch of very well known lifetime Longhorns and some very unknown lifetime Longhorns was Emmanuel Acho.
    Due to his outgoing personality he was in big demand on event days and recognition days for the patients, family and staff.
    Acho was prepared in dealing with sick kids by his family efforts as medical missionaries on their annual trips to Nigeria with Living Hope Christian Ministries.
    There are many staff members and former staff members at Dell Childrens that have positive memories of the time Acho spent as a Longhorn off the field.

A lot of people choose Austin, Texas to live their lives and to the best of my memory I can't recall a single time when Acho embarrassed himself or the University he attended as a Austin resident to this day.

Hook'em Horns!

PS - Acho is also a baritone and piano player, as his rendition of The Eyes of Texas was featured in Ricky Williams' A Football Life by NFL films.

• Like Like x 4
  11. RainH2burntO

Good post. Appreciate it, Pecos.
    I'm sure if I met him I would like Manny Acho the man.
    I am not a fan of Manny Acho the media personality/commentator (though I wish him the best), and it started prior to his recent UT/race relations/School Song comments.

By all accounts, Matt Millen was an honorable man, great football player, and trustworthy and respected man of character.
    He was a terrible GM and an even worse sports broadcaster.

If given a choice.... I'll choose character and integrity every time; but this is a football forum (well, use to be anyway) and we can comment on various people and personalities and a wide array of subjects from various perspectives.
    I don't think anyone is saying he is a bad person.

Thanks again for the insightful info.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Gutless how? Wilted in what sense? He made a stance, whether one believes it token or not, by going on Acho’s show. What do you propose he does?

MM has objectively contributed tons to the university from a PR stance and is loved by players and coaches. Minus BMDs, I can’t think of anyone outside the athletic department who does/has done more for the sports program. He’s been anointed the Minister of Culture and is one of the most well-liked celebrities. Minus a South Park skit about his Lincoln commercials (which I agree are cheesy), I’ve never heard a bad word about him. Not to mention an Oscar-winning actor. What else do you want from the guy other than perfection?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I had to shut down my plant and lay off 14 employees because I’m White. But I never blamed that community where my plant was located. I’m more pissed at corrupt investment bankers that prey on middle class business owners like me and abuse them. The system really is broken, time for a reset! But I’m not talking about racism at all.

14. tchill

tchill 25+ Posts

I am pretty sure that I have nothing to learn from a long-winded know it all like you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Acho is unquestionably accomplished and very intelligent. I’m not a fan because on every occasion that I have observed, from the LHN to ESPN, Acho seems obsessed with self promotion. It’s all about him and that is a turn off for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Admittedly I did not watch his appearance on Acho’s show and I am not aware of any or every public statement he has made.

MM bleeds burnt orange, no doubt. He might be the highest profile Horn fan around.

Unless he is in favor of scrapping The Eyes (which I doubt), he has (had) the opportunity to take a stand against the never ending, misguided political correctness. Granted, he would be widely criticized but leadership is all about doing things that take courage. To stand up and take the heat.

To my knowledge — and correct me if I am mistaken, but he hasn't taken a stand to defend The Eyes. That’s why I observed that he had wilted.

MM has always sought the attention. Now, when it really matters, he seems to have faded into the wallpaper.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As a member of the faculty, MM could be under a gag order preventing any professor from commenting to the media

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Good point. And you probably know... But if so, maybe he should ignore the gag order. After all, if he does so — unlike Roger Stone — he won’t be going to jail.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I disagree. Keep your mouth shut and point to CDC. Smart move. You say your piece if CDC didn’t exist. Otherwise to talk now is to take away power from CDC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Just the facts! @tchill I hope you have a good day tomorrow and Jesus Christ blesses you!

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

The University's indoctrination of these students is unbelievable. At this point, the liberal left no longer listens and actually tries to silent free speech.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. RainH2burntO

Good point...yet he did comment. Maybe it was his genuine viewpoint, or maybe, like most things these days....you are allowed to speak...as long as it isn't your own mind and it is the "right" thing to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  23. Omniscient.one

Where is “liberal left” on the spectrum? Or was that just redundant?

It seems most people focus on the extreme leftists (and right[ists?]) and forget the moderate and conservative slots on the spectrum, who make up the majority of both sides. I realize that’s a platitude but seems to be happening a lot in these threads.

24. 2003TexasGrad

Its now mainstream to call for the destruction of the depiction of Jesus in almost every church in America. I will focus on the extreme Left all damn day at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  25. Omniscient.one

It’s mainstream? News to me

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Serious question: Where did that come from. Have never heard that, although my attendance is primarily limited to Baptist and non denominational churches, excluding the "feel good about me" places.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@Omniscient.one We can tolerate those that disagree with us and say something nice when they can no longer debate facts rather than join their descent into pointless internet insults. It is called the high road. Believe it or not, one can disagree on historical questions and not hate anyone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

He’s the first poster I have ever placed on Ignore in all my years on here. @Sangre Naranjada is right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Omniscient.one

It was the JC bit. Seems heavy-handed

30. 2003TexasGrad

Shaun King is a very vocal and respected voice on the Left and a leader in the BLM movement. The fact he publicly calls for this is frightening.

https://www.newsweek.com/white-jesu...-down-black-lives-matters-leader-says-1512674

• Agree Agree x 1