EARL CAMPBELL SAID A BUNCH OF CRAZY **** YESTERDAY

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Oct 30, 2019.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I 'hope" he was just pointing out the top programs all have black quarterbacks.I did not take it as a whine that Texas did not give black quarterbacks a chance.

3. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Back in 1979, I had just started working at a Dallas firm that had a very loyal Texas ex as one of the senior partners, and he swore up and down that no college team could ever win a national championship with a black QB. I haven't checked back with him lately to see what he thinks now. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, that's pretty dumb. How'd Earl like the Tyrone Swoopes years?

5. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

It is sad that skin color is applied as a criterium to athletic prowess at any level.

We should all know better by now.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. RainH2burntO

Since 2000, 5 of 19 CFB championship winning quarterbacks have been black.

7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

you're infringing on Statalyzer's territory

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

The mobile quarterback can be a major factor in the ability for defenses to handle offenses. Kyler Murray, Justin Fields, etc......

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

[​IMG] Stay in your lane Earl....

• Funny x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Hot x 1
  10. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

QBs don't actually have to be black, they just need to be mobile and fast..."Johnnie football" from A&M was an example of a QB who could go 60 on you if you lost containment or got out of your rush lanes. Sam can't do that.

11. lanceut

lanceut 250+ Posts

I love Earl, so I'm just going to chalk this up to CTE or something and pretend that I never read it....

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Has Earl never watched Tom Brady, probably the greatest QB of all time?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Disappointing because this is the kind of stupid **** Lavar Ball would have said. You're Texas royalty but stay in your lane, Earl.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

15. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

If you flip the script and say you cant win with a black QB, how would Earl feel about that. Its total BS. You get the best you can get, adjust your scheme to fit what you have an play ball. Anything else is just fodder for the fools and can be found on the dirt of any feed lot!!!

16. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I'm gonna give Earl a pass, he's earned it. Heck, it wasn't so long ago a lot of folks were saying you can't win *with* a black QB.

We've got a lot of problems on our team, but QB play isn't even in the top 10.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Consider the source (Switzer).

As to Switzer's comments about Manziel, I hated the aggys getting Manziel. It wasn't his fault. He had a Longhorn tattoo and came to our QB camp, but we offered David Ash instead. He was, in my humble opinion, he was the most exciting college football player I ever saw play.

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

On The Horn this morning here in Austin they said that Bohls and Earl were just talking and that it wasn't really an interview and Earl certainly didn't expect it to be quoted in a article. Apparently they talk all the time, but they've heard that will probably be the last. We all say crap to people we frequently talk to but would probably not say to an audience. If true this solidifies my view of Bohls being the ultimate douchebag using a relationship to be click bait.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Good perspective. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While Earl means no harm to anyone, someone needs to pull him aside and advise him to think long and hard before making such comments.

Few will say it, but it needs to be said:

If a white player, ex player, white coach or white owner said that only white players should be considered for — or that they are better suited — for the position, that individual would be crucified for being a racist. And there would be ample justification.

Do I think that Earl Campbell is a racist? No. Do I think that he made a racist observation? Yes.

It’s also an uneducated comment. Has Earl ever heard of Joe Burrow? Has he watched Sam Ehlinger? Has he ever heard of Cold McCoy? Does he know who the QB for the 2018 National Championship team was?

Earl made an ill-advised and frankly tone deaf and uninformed comment. Sure, he meant no harm. Does it matter? Does the context of the comment matter?

Arguably the most iconic player in Texas Football history is beginning to taint his legacy. It’s painful to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I didn’t need another reason to dislike Bohls but if you’re giving a freebie I’ll take it :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Sap, personally I cannot blame Bohls for communicating what Earl said. Now, if Earl had made the comment “off the record,” then maybe. I doubt that he did. But I just can’t blame the messenger on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

What's being said on local radio is that it was not an interview. However, everyone should be smart enough to know that if you're talking to a reporter nothing is really off the record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Maybe they were talking about why Bohls didn't vote for VY for Hesiman and this all came up. [sarc]

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. RainH2burntO

Earl's comments reminded me of Rush Limbaughs ESPN stint. Obviously, Earl wasnt on the mic, but... as we all know...there is a double standard for these things.

26. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

That’s why we’ll never be Alabama. If a Tuscaloosa reporter tried to print that, they’d be run out of town. I hope this doesn’t hurt recruiting. I’m sure our rivals will be putting this quote from this Longhorn icon on full blast. Damage control needs to move in quickly.

• Hot Hot x 1
  27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Earl can say whatever he wants. Period. In fact everyone should be able to say within reason how they feel.
    But if you call me a name I may call you 2 names.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Earl has always been a hero to me. Large part of why I went to The University. However, this is disappointing on so many fronts. Reverse racism is no better than actual racism. Hopefully he apologizes. I hope he is not back on pain killers and Budweiser.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree with your premise, but racism is racism (i.e. there are not classes of racism).

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

So if it was just a discussion I’m ok with it cause he could very well have said it noting full well he was making an aside comment, as if you want to win ........, but realizing fully what absurdity it was considering the last several years. It all reminds me of FNL when the assistant coach got the what for after remarks regarding how he saw the players.